Page 1 of 34 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 664

Thread: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Central, Wis
    Posts
    1,388

    Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Continue on here.

    Stats after MSU:

    PWR T31st of 60 down 2 spots
    GPG 3.08 down 7 spots to 19th
    GAA 3.35 down one spot to tie for 47th
    PP% 18.18% tie for 27th, down 5 spots
    PK% 71.56% up one spot to 59th
    Pen Minutes 12.50 up one spot (worse) to tie for 16th (1st is the most penalties)
    Faceoff % 41.9% still dead last at 60th (and still dead last)

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Central, Wis
    Posts
    1,388

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Great article by Mark Johnson. So excited for Saturday:

    https://spark.adobe.com/page/wnX7Q1bC9tedi/

    Pretty cool they scheduled it versus OSU so Steve Rohlik will be able to see it.....
    Last edited by WiscTJK; 02-07-2019 at 11:14 AM.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Southwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    8

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Hey Folks.

    This is my first comment, but I've been a lurker here for a long time and a Badger Fan/Season Ticket holder since before the move to the Kohl Center, so I've seen a lot of seasons come and go.

    I want to echo WiscTJK's question from the just finished thread regarding why, given the talent that we do in fact have, things aren't getting better. It's not like we've got a bunch of hacks out there skating around, we have some talented, I would say above average guys that just aren't producing. Everyone likes to talk about Miller, Dooghie, Mersch, Caufield, but guys like Malone, Freitag, Baker, Gorniak (who is an unbelieveable skater by the way), Kalynuk (another phenominal skater/puck handler who in fairness could look to pass the puck more) are no slouches. I guess what I'm trying to say is we've got talented players, but they're not producing, that to me is a coaching deficiency. There's no way this season's lackluster performance is due to a lack of talented players. 59th/60 on the PK? 60th on Faceoffs? 16th in PIMs? With the talent we have, these numbers are not acceptable at all.

    Look, I want to be positive, I'm still clinging to the fact that if you can win 5 games in a row down the stretch, you can be the National Champion, but I'm not placing a significant bet on it. I hope things are better next year, I really do, but a good coach should be able to take any group of players and at least end up in the middle of the pack. The fact that some of these guys aren't "Tony's guys" is a cop out at the very least.

    I'll see you at the game tomorrow night.

    Go Red!

  4. #4
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    10,889

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger_Bretzky View Post
    Hey Folks.

    This is my first comment, but I've been a lurker here for a long time and a Badger Fan/Season Ticket holder since before the move to the Kohl Center, so I've seen a lot of seasons come and go.

    I want to echo WiscTJK's question from the just finished thread regarding why, given the talent that we do in fact have, things aren't getting better. It's not like we've got a bunch of hacks out there skating around, we have some talented, I would say above average guys that just aren't producing. Everyone likes to talk about Miller, Dooghie, Mersch, Caufield, but guys like Malone, Freitag, Baker, Gorniak (who is an unbelieveable skater by the way), Kalynuk (another phenominal skater/puck handler who in fairness could look to pass the puck more) are no slouches. I guess what I'm trying to say is we've got talented players, but they're not producing, that to me is a coaching deficiency. There's no way this season's lackluster performance is due to a lack of talented players. 59th/60 on the PK? 60th on Faceoffs? 16th in PIMs? With the talent we have, these numbers are not acceptable at all.

    Look, I want to be positive, I'm still clinging to the fact that if you can win 5 games in a row down the stretch, you can be the National Champion, but I'm not placing a significant bet on it. I hope things are better next year, I really do, but a good coach should be able to take any group of players and at least end up in the middle of the pack. The fact that some of these guys aren't "Tony's guys" is a cop out at the very least.

    I'll see you at the game tomorrow night.

    Go Red!
    Welcome into the den. It almost has to be coaching/systems. Are the systems they are running a good fit for these players? I have a lot of confidence in Oz. My confidence is waning on TG. I don't believe MS has it. He coached 2000-2004, then was not a coach until 2015 when he ended up at OSU as assistant H/C, which seems quite a stretch. He was out of the game for 10 years. I don't know. Since OSU lost him and gained Miller they have been lights out.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Southwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    8

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Thanks for the welcome.

    I really do want TG to be successful, I think it's a great story, and I am willing to wait and see for at least a couple seasons more. I'm heartened by the fact that our 5 on 5 play appears very potent on most nights; I think this team can play with any team in the country 5 on 5, so there's that anyway.

    I have a friend in MN who has season tickets and we take the other along when our respective teams are hosted by the other. It has been PAINFUL the last several years. Quite honestly, I don't know if the wheels fall off more when we're playing the Gophers, or if it just seems that way, but I don't ever remember any other team hanging 9 goals on us. That kind of thing is just completely unacceptable, kind of like this dry spell. I have higher hopes and expectations of this team, but I'm going to keep my tickets in the hopes that this is a pothole along the way, and that the Badgers will return to being a perennial participant in the NCAA tournament. When we do return, all this pain will make it that much sweeter.

    Go Red!

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger_Bretzky View Post
    Hey Folks.

    This is my first comment, but I've been a lurker here for a long time and a Badger Fan/Season Ticket holder since before the move to the Kohl Center, so I've seen a lot of seasons come and go.

    I want to echo WiscTJK's question from the just finished thread regarding why, given the talent that we do in fact have, things aren't getting better. It's not like we've got a bunch of hacks out there skating around, we have some talented, I would say above average guys that just aren't producing. Everyone likes to talk about Miller, Dooghie, Mersch, Caufield, but guys like Malone, Freitag, Baker, Gorniak (who is an unbelieveable skater by the way), Kalynuk (another phenominal skater/puck handler who in fairness could look to pass the puck more) are no slouches. I guess what I'm trying to say is we've got talented players, but they're not producing, that to me is a coaching deficiency. There's no way this season's lackluster performance is due to a lack of talented players. 59th/60 on the PK? 60th on Faceoffs? 16th in PIMs? With the talent we have, these numbers are not acceptable at all.

    Look, I want to be positive, I'm still clinging to the fact that if you can win 5 games in a row down the stretch, you can be the National Champion, but I'm not placing a significant bet on it. I hope things are better next year, I really do, but a good coach should be able to take any group of players and at least end up in the middle of the pack. The fact that some of these guys aren't "Tony's guys" is a cop out at the very least.

    I'll see you at the game tomorrow night.

    Go Red!
    That’s just it. Guys (especially chuck Schwartz who no longer posts here) really hyped up Malone and a few others and then Zimmer whom evidently is either a lights out practice player or exudes potential that is never realized.

    Those numbers you quote are an utter embarrassment. A good coach can take 22 of us out of the stands and coax better numbers. But here with some talent Granato, Osiecki and Strobel just flail around like they’re new to coaching.

    No way the special teams deficiency is as bad as it is unless the coaches are failing.

    Oz needs to step up and prove version 2.0 can match 1.0

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Appleton
    Posts
    64

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Gameday!!

  8. #8
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Are the systems they are running a good fit for these players?
    IMO the systems are a good fit for the guys that can really skate. In other words most of the Fr and Soph's. If this were FB or Bouncy Ball, the Sr.'s would be guys you play cover 3 or a 2-3 zone with because that is a style of play they were recruited for. The new guys are built for man to man D. You can have success with either style, but we are playing man to man, as that is the way Tony wants to play.

    I've said it before and I think DPlaya mentioned this earlier as well, but it has struck me several times that this has been a 5 year project from the beginning. There are several decisions that have been made during the course of the last two seasons that have seemed to me to be based on what would be best long term, rather than what might help us win today. I've been ok with that for the most part, as I gather the goal is to rebuild to a sustainable powerhouse program, rather than just a great season.

    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    That’s just it. Guys (especially chuck Schwartz who no longer posts here) really hyped up Malone and a few others and then Zimmer whom evidently is either a lights out practice player or exudes potential that is never realized.
    Malone needs 3 points to become just the 74th Badger in history with 100 career points. Chuck wasn't wrong, that's a pretty freakin' big contribution to the program. If the Badgers were playing in the WCHA they could probably get by with their top line a lot easier. But look at the top lines around the B1G. (plus the elite NC teams we've played this year) The B1G is loaded with elite top lines that are just better skaters and athletes than Malone is. Malone is a really good (dominating even) 3rd line center that has been asked to go up to the top. (Same stuff applies to Johnson, good player, not an elite top line F) Now if he had a couple of elite guys on the wings, I think he'd handle it no problem as he has excellent vision and awareness, but he's not the kind of player that can go to the top line and just carry it by himself against the other high end B1G 1st lines.
    Also, I could be wrong, but I just don't think Malone has been the same player since he blew out both of his shoulders last year. I'm not even sure how he was able to play so much last year or this. He's plenty good enough to play some pro hockey, but I wonder if his body is up to it. Seems like a lot of nights in the last year he is just relying on guts and determination to get through.

    I think Zimmer is a mystery to everyone. Great skates, shot, and hands-- he has it all-- but he just can't seem to make it happen in the games. Either he has zero confidence, or the D1 game just happens too fast for him, which is a possibility I guess. Tyler Barnes is an elite top scorer in the ECHL, but he just cannot make anything work in the AHL. Who knows why? It's not because he can't skate, he's a terrific skater, it's just been a step too far for him. Maybe that is the case with Zimmer, I don't know. He looks like such a fantastic player, and it just doesn't happen for him. It's gotta be very tough on him mentally. All that elite skill he has is a product of years of very hard work and when he is just not producing it just has to be a nightmare.
    Here's hoping that maybe that big shootout goal he had last Saturday will jump start his confidence and get him going a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    189

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    It's easy to say now, with Wisconsin kinda muddling along this season, but I never bought into the excitement of the "dream team coaching staff" of all alums that came along three years ago, led by Tony Granato and former assistant Mark Osiecki. It's not that there's anything wrong with that trio. Far from it. They will be fine. I just thought it was wrong to suggest they'd automatically be better than what they'd replaced just because of "name recognition." They were replacing a guy in Mike Eaves who was also an alum and a national championship winning coach, and that 2006 team had Osiecki on its staff as well.

    Eaves ran into a number of issues, and the team hit rock bottom. I felt he deserved a chance to turn it back around. And I think there's every reason to believe he'd have done at least as well as Wisconsin has done the last three years. Again, don't take this as a knock on Granato. Not at all. I just don't see the difference between the two, and I think Wisconsin's continuing struggle to rise back above mediocre would be the same either way. It's a struggle for all the big programs right now. They'll all figure it out eventually, I believe.
    https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...ines-State.php

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Central, Wis
    Posts
    1,388

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Mark Johnson spoke at the Wisconsin Hockey Backers luncheon today. Such a humble guy, it's unbelievable. He had praise for the men's program and said it takes 4-5 years these days to get your system up and running. He says he likes what he sees on the ice in the men's program and likes where it is at. He said we have to be patient!

    Tony Granato says they feel really good where the program is at right now. They are excited for the players coming in who can finish and loves the base being built by the young guys in the program. Sounds like 2 of the signees for next year are having their official visit this weekend (Holloway and Vorlicky I think is what he said). He said Holloway is coming in young and will be a top ten pick in the NHL draft in 2020.

    The luncheon's are great, especially if you work in Madison. Today there was about 10-15 alumni there including Shane Connelly. There is one March 1 and they are hoping Mel Pearson will speak at it. www.wisconsinhockeybackers.com is the place to learn more. I have attended the last two and have really enjoyed them.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Welcome into the den. It almost has to be coaching/systems. Are the systems they are running a good fit for these players? .
    When Granto started he said that the players would do less dump and chase and more possession with the puck. So instead of dumping it at the blue line they would cross the blue line and try to keep possession... rather than "giving it up". Apparently that was an NHL thing he brought. And it was very evident the first year or 2. Now they are dumping and chasing more.

    He also said they would be not finishing checks as much bc if a guy spends an extra 3 seconds finishing his check than that's 3 less seconds he'll be able to get back into the play.

    He's obviously adjusting his systems bc they dump and chase all the **** time and they finish their checks more. I'm a fan of finishing checks but not a fan of dumping and chasing when you can keep possesion of the puck.

    Maybe he is experimenting with systems for college. Either way whatever he's doing now ain't working. I'd say go back to possession hockey and less dump and chase.

    And some people have said this team has plenty of talent... on defense I agree but not on offense. The forwards rarely make any nice plays... they rarely make something out of nothing. Most of the time they just do bare bones hustle plays. There are no Pavelskis, Heatleys, Earl's, Fredericks. Malone and Johnson can make a nice toe pull play here and there, a nice little stick handle deal. That's it. Dooghie isn't the guy we thought he'd be. They're 2nd and 3rd liners.
    Last edited by druzy192; 02-08-2019 at 02:45 PM.

  12. #12
    UC's original USCHO poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    5,082

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    You folks might be interested in a thread that popped up today on the D-III side of the boards entitled "How bad of a coach is Mike Eaves?"

    https://board.uscho.com/showthread.p...-is-Mike-Eaves
    2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
    2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
    2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
    2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
    2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
    2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
    2009 D-III TOP runner-up
    Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
    1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by UCBadger View Post
    You folks might be interested in a thread that popped up today on the D-III side of the boards entitled "How bad of a coach is Mike Eaves?"

    https://board.uscho.com/showthread.p...-is-Mike-Eaves
    Wow. Sounds familiar lol. Thanks for sharing.

  14. #14
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    77 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality
    Posts
    3,043

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    Mark Johnson spoke at the Wisconsin Hockey Backers luncheon today. Such a humble guy, it's unbelievable. He had praise for the men's program and said it takes 4-5 years these days to get your system up and running. He says he likes what he sees on the ice in the men's program and likes where it is at. He said we have to be patient!

    Tony Granato says they feel really good where the program is at right now. They are excited for the players coming in who can finish and loves the base being built by the young guys in the program. Sounds like 2 of the signees for next year are having their official visit this weekend (Holloway and Vorlicky I think is what he said). He said Holloway is coming in young and will be a top ten pick in the NHL draft in 2020.

    The luncheon's are great, especially if you work in Madison. Today there was about 10-15 alumni there including Shane Connelly. There is one March 1 and they are hoping Mel Pearson will speak at it. www.wisconsinhockeybackers.com is the place to learn more. I have attended the last two and have really enjoyed them.
    Today one was one of two I've missed since it's inception; my loss. I had a commitment in FIB-land and couldn't get out of it; when I saw the date, I KNEW I'd miss MJ. Believe it or not TJK, I was going to buy you a "big orange" even if you had to go back to work.

    Here we are in last place....AGAIN. It wasn't a real bad game, but the defense....oy vey. If it weren't for Lebby, it could've been much worse. Had some chances but missed the water from the boat.
    Last edited by MadCityRich; 02-08-2019 at 09:59 PM.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

    "License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

  15. #15
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    10,889

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Kalynuk whiffs on the open net in the first. Dhoogie holds the puck too long on the 2-0, should have fed Linus sooner, but Linus should have roofed that puck, not re-directed it, maybe it was out of reach. PP 0 for on the pp. PK gives up one. They really played well through 2, but the penalties in the 3rd and that goal got OSU going. Oh and the Hammer was awesome, he better start the rest of the season. Malone had a good game, Linus looked good too.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,915

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Kalynuk whiffs on the open net in the first. Dhoogie holds the puck too long on the 2-0, should have fed Linus sooner, but Linus should have roofed that puck, not re-directed it, maybe it was out of reach. PP 0 for on the pp. PK gives up one. They really played well through 2, but the penalties in the 3rd and that goal got OSU going. Oh and the Hammer was awesome, he better start the rest of the season. Malone had a good game, Linus looked good too.
    Those missed shots on an open net were a real gift! I was stunned you guys didn't score.

  17. #17
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    77 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality
    Posts
    3,043

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    Those missed shots on an open net were a real gift! I was stunned you guys didn't score.
    We weren't. It's a common occurrence.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

    "License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,915

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    It's rather ironic that we seem to have quite a Wisconsin connection through our coaches past & present and even some of our players and their parents.

  19. #19
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    77 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality
    Posts
    3,043

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    It's rather ironic that we seem to have quite a Wisconsin connection through our coaches past & present and even some of our players and their parents.
    I had some "hawkey tawk" with friends today and one "sort of fan" brought up Mark Johnson. He said somebody with his background, knowledge, experience, etc, it's shocking that Johnson hasn't been the head coach for the men. I don't remember why Eaves was chosen over Johnson, but Eaves was good for about 10 years sans a couple years. Nobody knows what it would be like if Mark were coaching all these years, but ........
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

    "License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,552
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    I had some "hawkey tawk" with friends today and one "sort of fan" brought up Mark Johnson. He said somebody with his background, knowledge, experience, etc, it's shocking that Johnson hasn't been the head coach for the men. I don't remember why Eaves was chosen over Johnson, but Eaves was good for about 10 years sans a couple years. Nobody knows what it would be like if Mark were coaching all these years, but ........
    Johnson recruited for Sauer and I distinctly recall he was hesitant to travel a lot at that time. It was due to family which is great but it led to subpar recruiting and he was/is tied to Sauer’s last few years which I believe led to Richter’s decision on Eaves.
    Someone (joeyv, timothya, et al) correct me if i’m wrong.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •