Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NFL 2019: Superb Owl and Offseason

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I'm referring more to how he game plans. He either works harder than everyone else or everyone else thinks that they're so smart they don't have to change. I've seen no other coach like him who will change everything his team does based on what the other team does.
    Great article on how Belichick gamed the Rams.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.debccffc8cf5
    A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

I sorta get the conundrum a guy like McVay has. If you've been wildly successful all year, as they had been on O, you're going to stick with what's worked until you're forced to switch gears. The problem is for both the Rams and the Chiefs by the time you consider doing something different (which Reid did but McVay didn't) the first half is already over and you're most likely already losing which limits your options.

The other thing Belichick does, which I haven't seen any other coach do, is go with a completely different game plan than anybody has seen to start the game off. That takes balls. The Cover 4 hybrid scheme between zone and man was something the Rams hadn't seen the Pats do in film all year. Similarly on O, one would have thought James White would be a significant factor as he's one of the more skilled guys on the team. I don't remember him getting into the game. If you spend hours studying how to stop short passes to James White, hey guess what - you just wasted a lot of time prepping for someone that the never ended up deploying.

He's been doing this for years. Back when they played the Eagles the first time, they sent out not a 4-3 or 3-4 Defense but a 2-5 which again they hadn't deployed all year. If your QB can't improvise (Goff) its game over.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

All the more amazing to me (and I could be wrong about this going off memory) is how few coaches under Belichick have gone on themselves to be successful head coaches. Clearly he gets his coaches to buy in yet rarely has anyone been able to take that success with them elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          All the more amazing to me (and I could be wrong about this going off memory) is how few coaches under Belichick have gone on themselves to be successful head coaches. Clearly he gets his coaches to buy in yet rarely has anyone been able to take that success with them elsewhere.
          Human Beings don't like to be wrong and they always like to think their ideas are the best. Belicheat figured out long ago that in football it's easier to win if you take away what the other team does best instead of always trying to do what you do best.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            I sorta get the conundrum a guy like McVay has. If you've been wildly successful all year, as they had been on O, you're going to stick with what's worked until you're forced to switch gears. The problem is for both the Rams and the Chiefs by the time you consider doing something different (which Reid did but McVay didn't) the first half is already over and you're most likely already losing which limits your options.

The other thing Belichick does, which I haven't seen any other coach do, is go with a completely different game plan than anybody has seen to start the game off. That takes balls. The Cover 4 hybrid scheme between zone and man was something the Rams hadn't seen the Pats do in film all year. Similarly on O, one would have thought James White would be a significant factor as he's one of the more skilled guys on the team. I don't remember him getting into the game. If you spend hours studying how to stop short passes to James White, hey guess what - you just wasted a lot of time prepping for someone that the never ended up deploying.

He's been doing this for years. Back when they played the Eagles the first time, they sent out not a 4-3 or 3-4 Defense but a 2-5 which again they hadn't deployed all year. If your QB can't improvise (Goff) its game over.
            Again, to me, a lot of that is Belichick trusting his players. Which is not an easy thing for a coach to do.

Comment

Human Beings don't like to be wrong and they always like to think their ideas are the best. Belicheat figured out long ago that in football it's easier to win if you take away what the other team does best instead of always trying to do what you do best.
              Ok?

Comment

in football it's easier to win if you take away what the other team does best instead of always trying to do what you do best.
                Every football coach knows this, yet Belichick somehow is able to actually execute it and take away what the other team does best. He didn't originate an insight that is so obvious both you and I came up with it independently. His magic isn't science, it's logistics: he actually makes the thing he plans for happen. If that was inconsequential everybody would do it.

I hate the bastid and his pipsqueak QB and his ludicrous troll owner and their bandwagon fairweather fanbase and that ugly, second rate, white trash slum. But you don't get to choose the GOAT, it just happens, and the Patriots are now on Rushmore with the Yankees, the Canadians, and the Lakers. I'm not any happier about it than you are.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Just got back from the Pats parade. Good times!

Oh, and Kep, I appreciate your championship envy as much as the next guy, but the Mt Rushmore of sports teams is Pats, Yanks, Habs, and CELTICS, who not only have more titles than the Lakers mostly at the expense of the Lakers but also won them all in Boston while like 5 of the Lakers were won in Minny.

Boston baby - we OWN two of the 4 major sports!!!!

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Yeah just imagine how great the offense could have been if Rams defense wasn't caught completely off guard

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                      Yeah just imagine how great the offense could have been if Rams defense wasn't caught completely off guard
                      Who won the game again?

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        Cause nobody else has Brady
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Who won the game again?
                          I'm not the one that pointed to their genius offensive game plan...
                          In fact, their one touchdown drive was running a formation that wasn't even in the game plan, so you might come to the conclusion that their offensive game plan was ummmm terrible.

Comment

In fact, their one touchdown drive was running a formation that wasn't even in the game plan, so you might come to the conclusion that their offensive game plan was ummmm terrible.
                            Other than getting stalled a few too many times, or a bad timed turn over, NE moved the ball a lot better than LA did. In that game, 150 more yards mattered a lot, and the TOP difference of 7 min also mattered a lot.

May not have been genius, but it was considerably better. The 5th based offense was quite a bit better than the 2nd place offense.

Comment

Not having a legitimately below average QB probably helped a bit too.

Comment

Huh...I missed the part where the championship got decided on style points! I think you've been watching too much figure skating.

But, if you'd like to review, I didn't say they had a genius offensive game plan. I said they threw a wrinkle at the Rams from the get go by not involving James White when most of the world thought they'd try to get him a lot more touches. At the end of the day, the team put up enough points to win (should have been 16 if not for idiot kicker) and also importantly controlled the time of position and field position battles.

Comment

Working...
                                X