NFL 2019: Superb Owl and Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NFL 2019: Superb Owl and Offseason

Sports in the Big Ten is dwarfed 10:1 by academic grants. The schools would be fine. I’m talking about having it taken away by a competitor.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
      Take a look at the South Shore, Weymouth, Holbrook, Abington.
      Too far from friends and family, and there's comparably priced living nearer said friends and family.

But yeah - I'm looking pretty much anywhere within a 45 minute ride from Watertown for now.
      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Originally posted by Swansong View Post
        Too far from friends and family, and there's comparably priced living nearer said friends and family.

But yeah - I'm looking pretty much anywhere within a 45 minute ride from Watertown for now.
        Good luck.
        A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Sports in the Big Ten is dwarfed 10:1 by academic grants. The schools would be fine. I’m talking about having it taken away by a competitor.
          The major research universities would be fine. The tier 1 universities would be fine (they do sports half-heartedly as it is). The boutique liberal arts colleges would be fine (they don't do sports at all). The tier 2 / tier 3 schools who currently warp their budgets with bloated sports funding might if anything be in better shape, and they would trudge along educating accountants, ambulance chaser lawyers, and businessmen.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Kareem Hunt signed by the Browns...
            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              \The tier 2 / tier 3 schools who currently warp their budgets with bloated sports funding might if anything be in better shape, and they would trudge along educating accountants, ambulance chaser lawyers, and businessmen.
              So Princeton wouldn't lost their travel partner?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Those leagues would need some serious cash behind hem. The NCAA schools are collectively a ten billion-plus organization and they aren’t going to let someone else come in and scoop that cash without a major fight.
                I only partially agree. The NBA lower leagues are not nearly as popular as college BB, and they seem to manage well.

This is an NFL problem to solve, they need to invest in it. Football is becoming less and less popular, and oddly, that means they need to keep former college players playing- to keep the active player list big enough to support the league. And that can easily include former HS players. Keep the rules a little less impacting- similar to some of the AAF ideas, and you have a good feeder system.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                  So Princeton wouldn't lost their travel partner?
                  I'm not sure if Q has a university associated with their sports program.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    I only partially agree. The NBA lower leagues are not nearly as popular as college BB, and they seem to manage well.

This is an NFL problem to solve, they need to invest in it. Football is becoming less and less popular, and oddly, that means they need to keep former college players playing- to keep the active player list big enough to support the league. And that can easily include former HS players. Keep the rules a little less impacting- similar to some of the AAF ideas, and you have a good feeder system.
                    You mean the D-league? Pssh. Not even comparable as a minor league feeder. IMO. The D-league is where the younger players who can't quite cut it go. I honestly don't think of it as an AHL or AAA type of league. I might not fully understand the size of the D-league, I'll give you that.

100% agree on the bottom paragraph though. I've been wondering if the NFL is going to see how this plays out and then formalize some sort of relationship with the AAF either as an established minor league or a d-league. I think the NFL could stand to use an AHL-type league. Get the international and post-college kids playing in a controlled environment with rules meant to strengthen them instead of kill each other. Given the seemingly successful weekend the AAF had, I wouldn't be shocked to see the NFL buy them out in five years or formalize them as an official minor league.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The NFL has tried to do that with the WFL, and it's not really working out. The NCAA model suits the NFL best. No cost to the NFL, and the model has been around long enough that it would be tough to topple. It is firmly entrenched.

That being said, might as well pull back the curtain and make the college players paid athletes, and just accept the worst-kept secret in college sports.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I would rather college sports died than see paid players. I hate the idea so much.

It’s only the worst kept secret among the blue bloods. Northwestern isn’t paying their players.
                        Code:

Comment

I would rather college sports died than see paid players. I hate the idea so much.

It’s only the worst kept secret among the blue bloods. Northwestern isn’t paying their players.
                          Any program worth their salt in the national picture is paying their players, one way or another. Some are better at hiding it. I also dislike the idea of paid college players, but it's a reality that I have accepted.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Imagine for a second that SCOTUS somehow ruled nobody -- networks, advertisers, the schools themselves -- could derive any revenue from collegiate sports. What would happen with colleges and universities? Diploma mills persist without a sports connection, so we wouldn't necessarily see a huge fall off in the number of schools or enrollments.
                            The Dept of Education says there are 2364 4-year degree-granting schools (and here I didn't think Betsy could count that high!). There are 130 FBS schools. Eliminating revenue from college sports would do nothing to the state of post-secondary education in the US.
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Mookie hates how these plantation owner schools book huge fat coin and the asset workers get bupkiss
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                                The Dept of Education says there are 2364 4-year degree-granting schools (and here I didn't think Betsy could count that high!). There are 130 FBS schools. Eliminating revenue from college sports would do nothing to the state of post-secondary education in the US.
                                Great! Let's do it!
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X