Bracketology 1.0 D3 style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bracketology 1.0 D3 style

Why not? I may be wrong, and I invite your comments.

The NCAA Division III Men's Ice Hockey Tournament is a 12 team tournament. There are 8 Automatic Qualifiers (Pool A) and 4 At-Large berths (Pool C). There are no Pool B selections. All teams not in Pool A are eligible for selection in Pool C.

For the 18-19 and 19-20 seasons, the NCAA Division III selections will be made via the Pair Wise Ranking System that has been used by our Division I brethren. The latest PWR ranking can be found here. The rankings used here are accurate as of this posting. After Tuesday, things may change.

Bracketology assumes the season ended yesterday. That is, no more games are to be played. In absence of the conference tournament, the first place teams in each Conference are assigned to Pool A. They are (with their PWR ranking in parenthesis):

Commonwealth Coast Conference: Salve Regina (17)
    MASCAC: Plymouth State (33)
    MIAC: Augsburg (11)
    NCHA: St. Norbert (8)
    NEHC: Mass-Boston (5)
    NESCAC: Wesleyan (7)
    SUNYAC: Geneseo (2)
    UCHC: Utica (18) - Utica is tied for first with Wilkes, but holds the H2H criteria 1-0.

The top 4 in the PWR not otherwise in Pool A are then selected for Pool C. They are
    Wisconsin - Stevens Point (1)
    Oswego (3)
    Norwich (4)
    Wisconsin - Eau Claire (6)

That's it. The field is set. Let's sort them in PWR order
    Geneseo (2)
    Oswego (3)
    Norwich (4)
    Mass-Boston (5)
    Wesleyan (7)
    St. Norbert (8)
    Augsburg (11)
    Salve Regina (17)
    Utica (18)
    Plymouth State (33)

We have an 8 - 4 split. The 500 mile flight limit as calculated by the NCAA Mileage Calculator will be used to make sure that nobody flies until the Frozen Final Four

West
    Stevens Point
    Eau Claire
    St. Norbert
    Augsburg

East
    Geneseo
    Oswego
    Norwich
    Mass-Boston
    Wesleyan
    Salve Regina
    Utica
    Plymouth State

The 500 mile rule precludes any East - West interchanges for Round 1. Therefore, there will be 2 first round games in the West and 2 first round games in the East

Round 1 - March 9
    Augsburg @ Wisconsin Stevens Point
    St. Norbert @ Wisconsin - Eau Claire
    Plymouth State @ Wesleyan
    Utica @ Salve Regina

Quarterfinals - March 16
    Augsburg / Wisconsin-Stevens Point vs. St. Norbert / Wisconsin-Eau Claire
    Plymouth State / Wesleyan @ Oswego
    Utica / Salve Regina @ Geneseo
    Mass - Boston @ Norwich

The Frozen Final Four will be on March 22 and 23.
    Winner of West bracket v Winner of Mass-Boston / Norwich
    Winner of Plymouth State / Wesleyan / Oswego vs. Winner of Utica / Salve Regina / Geneseo

The Frozen Final Four will be held on campus this year. The location will be announced on Sunday(?) after the quarterfinal round
    Last edited by joecct; 02-03-2019, 08:42 PM.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: Bracketology 1.0 D3 style

Wow. Looks great. Thanks for putting that together.

Comment

Thanks for putting this together. Am I reading this wrong or would this be a 3-1 Eastern-Western split at the Frozen Four, and does that go against the committee’s alleged preference of a Western Frozen Four?
      #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
        Thanks for putting this together. Am I reading this wrong or would this be a 3-1 Eastern-Western split at the Frozen Four, and does that go against the committee’s alleged preference of a Western Frozen Four?
        Unless Adrian gets in and makes the crossover into the East side, then it will be 3-1
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Why not? I may be wrong, and I invite your comments.

The NCAA Division III Men's Ice Hockey Tournament is a 12 team tournament. There are 8 Automatic Qualifiers (Pool A) and 4 At-Large berths (Pool C). There are no Pool B selections. All teams not in Pool A are eligible for selection in Pool C.

For the 18-19 and 19-20 seasons, the NCAA Division III selections will be made via the Pair Wise Ranking System that has been used by our Division I brethren. The latest PWR ranking can be found here. The rankings used here are accurate as of this posting. After Tuesday, things may change.

Bracketology assumes the season ended yesterday. That is, no more games are to be played. In absence of the conference tournament, the first place teams in each Conference are assigned to Pool A. They are (with their PWR ranking in parenthesis):

Commonwealth Coast Conference: Salve Regina (17)
          MASCAC: Plymouth State (33)
          MIAC: Augsburg (11)
          NCHA: St. Norbert (8)
          NEHC: Mass-Boston (5)
          NESCAC: Wesleyan (7)
          SUNYAC: Geneseo (2)
          UCHC: Utica (18) - Utica is tied for first with Wilkes, but holds the H2H criteria 1-0.

The top 4 in the PWR not otherwise in Pool A are then selected for Pool C. They are
          Oswego (3)
          Norwich (4)

That's it. The field is set. Let's sort them in PWR order
          Geneseo (2)
          Oswego (3)
          Norwich (4)
          Mass-Boston (5)
          Wesleyan (7)
          St. Norbert (8)
          Augsburg (11)
          Salve Regina (17)
          Utica (18)
          Plymouth State (33)

We have an 8 - 4 split. The 500 mile flight limit as calculated by the NCAA Mileage Calculator will be used to make sure that nobody flies until the Frozen Final Four

West
          Stevens Point
          Eau Claire
          St. Norbert
          Augsburg

East
          Geneseo
          Oswego
          Norwich
          Mass-Boston
          Wesleyan
          Salve Regina
          Utica
          Plymouth State

The 500 mile rule precludes any East - West interchanges for Round 1. Therefore, there will be 2 first round games in the West and 2 first round games in the East

Round 1 - March 9
          Augsburg @ Wisconsin Stevens Point
          St. Norbert @ Wisconsin - Eau Claire
          Plymouth State @ Wesleyan
          Utica @ Salve Regina

Quarterfinals - March 16
          Augsburg / Wisconsin-Stevens Point vs. St. Norbert / Wisconsin-Eau Claire
          Plymouth State / Wesleyan @ Oswego
          Utica / Salve Regina @ Geneseo
          Mass - Boston @ Norwich

The Frozen Final Four will be on March 22 and 23.
          Winner of West bracket v Winner of Mass-Boston / Norwich
          Winner of Plymouth State / Wesleyan / Oswego vs. Winner of Utica / Salve Regina / Geneseo

The Frozen Final Four will be held on campus this year. The location will be announced on Sunday(?) after the quarterfinal round
          This will look silly if the west gets all four teams into the quarterfinals again.

Comment

Am I the only one to think it absurd that UMB can win the NEHC over Norwich and then have to play AT Norwich in the playoffs?

Edit: Though I assume that's a problem that might work itself out in the league tournament if UMB is to win out.
            Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
              Am I the only one to think it absurd that UMB can win the NEHC over Norwich and then have to play AT Norwich in the playoffs?

Edit: Though I assume that's a problem that might work itself out in the league tournament if UMB is to win out.
              Correct on all accounts.

But that very thing happened in 2013 or 2014 when Babson beat Norwich at Kreitzberg in the league championship, had to play a play-in game and won that and then came back to lose at Kreitzberg in the QFs while Norwich got a bye.
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Unless Adrian gets in and makes the crossover into the East side, then it will be 3-1
                How does the 500 mile rule mean the four western teams will all play each other in the first round?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
                  How does the 500 mile rule mean the four western teams will all play each other in the first round?
                  D3 does not want to fly a team for the first 2 rounds unless it can't be avoided.

Adrian (<500 to SNC & UWSP, but >500 to UWEC) can shuttle East. Both Geneseo and Oswego are in range.
                  Last edited by joecct; 02-03-2019, 10:03 PM.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

D3 does not want to fly a team for the first 2 rounds unless it can't be avoided.

Adrian (<500 to SNC & UWSP, but >500 to UWEC) can shuttle East. Both Geneseo and Oswego are in range.
                    What are you talking about? You don't even have Adrian in the tournament in this bracketology. So it makes no difference since no one flies anywhere before the semifinals.

Comment

What are you talking about? You don't even have Adrian in the tournament in this bracketology. So it makes no difference since no one flies anywhere before the semifinals.
                      No thit. I was illustrating that Adrian has been the only Western team that can (and has) go East. If they win the NCHA, that may be the case.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

No thit. I was illustrating that Adrian has been the only Western team that can (and has) go East. If they win the NCHA, that may be the case.
                        Quarterfinals:
                        3/4W Adrian at 1W UWSP
                        3/4W Augsburg at 2W UWEC

Problem solved.

Comment

Quarterfinals:
                          3/4W Adrian at 1W UWSP
                          3/4W Augsburg at 2W UWEC

Problem solved.
                          I would pay double to watch that first one live!!
                          SNC Men:
                          Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                          NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                          SNC Women:
                          O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

I think maybe they'd have all of the QF games in the east. For the sole reason of not making the #1 seed in the tourna ment play the first round. Plus you could guarantee two western teams if you've predetermined a western Phinal Phour. I think the east would play the four first round games and the four western teams would receive byes to the QF.

Plymouth State @ Geneseo (only 419 miles apart...)
                            Utica @ Oswego (that would be an entertaining first rounder!)
                            Salve Regina @ Norwich (another entertaining first round game!)
                            Wesleyan @ UMass-Boston

I would predict this as your first round.
                            Last edited by spwood; 02-04-2019, 07:53 AM.
                            Steve
                            Penn State Class of '95
                            Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                              I think maybe they'd have all of the QF games in the east. For the sole reason of not making the #1 seed in the tourna ment play the first round. Plus you could guarantee two western teams if you've predetermined a western Phinal Phour. I think the east would play the four first round games and the four western teams would receive byes to the QF.

Plymouth State @ Geneseo (only 419 miles apart...)
                              Utica @ Oswego (that would be an entertaining first rounder!)
                              Salve Regina @ Norwich (another entertaining first round game!)
                              Wesleyan @ UMass-Boston

I would predict this as your first round.
                              I agree except.....1 "Big" upset in any conference playoff championship will throw a monkey wrench in the whole thing. A much "better" team will get left out. Two upsets and, Oh my what a mess !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Working...
                              X