Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Golf thread

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

Re: Golf thread

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    But in your example the $2000 is an artificially low figure. Even the $2400 may be. We wouldn't know until all of the tickets were put on the exchange. If the market says that all of the tickets would be sold at $30, is there some reason the "burden" on the fans to get in should only be $2000, using your example?

Aren't a lot of the brokers either directly connected with or in contract with the event sponsor? I know that a lot of professional teams and universities have ticket exchanges, in many instances "exclusive" or "sponsored".

Take the Ryder Cup, the event that prompted this discussion. I think PrimeSports is the company that is handling their ticket exchange. I think that's the same company that does the ticket exchange for the College World Series. My guess is that both the college world series and the ryder cup are benefiting financially from that relationship.

The secondary market only works if there is demand. I remember the Frozen Four in Columbus in 2005 where people couldn't get $10 for their tickets.

The sponsors are doing things the correct way. They put some tickets out on the market, but a limited number, thus assuring a base of people shut out from the tickets. The limited nature of the tickets creates an artificial demand (see: Beanie Babies) which then causes people to blow $150 to see Taylor Swift.

The only reason people are paying higher than face value for tickets on the secondary market is.......people are paying higher than face value on the secondary market.
    I used the numbers for simplicity sake. The concept is the same in real life, albeit with much more money being involved.

In B, it's the same demand, but the price is artificially inflated to the benefit of brokers. That is the problem.

Article explaining the concept

I'd gladly pay a higher value directly to the team or venue. I'm not paying more to an entity who scammed the system using inside methods and bots.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Don't buy then.

I'd love to go to the Masters every year. It would be fun if I went out to my garage each morning and a McLaren P1 was sitting there where my Chevy used to be. Them's the breaks.

The producer sets the price based upon many factors, not the least of which is that he or she needs to make a certain amount of money to pay costs and hopefully pocket a profit. The market will set the real price.

You guys can't have it both ways. Stubhub and the like are game changers in terms of giving you a chance to go to an event. What, 15 years ago if you didn't have a ticket you could drive to wherever the event was held and hope to find some shady guy standing on a street corner selling tickets that were hopefully valid.

Many an instance I drove hours to see an event, only to discover that I couldn't get a ticket at a price I was willing to pay and had to go sit in a bar and watch it.

Now that problem is gone.

You guys need to quit whining about these companies, as you use their services.
    Bootstraps. Stop crying.

Gotcha.

I'd better play with anybody from the neighbor state then from Spain.

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

Quote Originally Posted by DonMiller View Post
    I'd better play with anybody from the neighbor state then from Spain.
    What about playing with bots?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    The issue is that currently upwards of 40% of tickets to high demand events end up in the hands of people who have no intention of using the tickets. Those people buy them with the sole purpose of flipping them for a profit. By doing that, they are preventing the same people that they end up selling to a chance to get in the venue without the markup. That is where the issue comes in.

Ticket brokers also are not just getting tickets through the general sales process like your average Joe. They are using inside methods like comped Friends & Family tickets.
    Based on what I’ve seen I suspect in a lot of cases it’s the team’s themselves that are selling on the ticket exchanges. They’ve completely cut out the middle man.

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Never Forget!

Roy McAvoy?

there's a good buck in that racket.

Story is the dude just wanted to go home. Putted with his wedge on the 3rd

there's a good buck in that racket.

Patrick Reed.

Once a cheater, always a cheater.