RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I think that grade inlflation started long before I attended RPI, and that at some point 2.0 was indeed an average grade. I don't know what it was when I was at RPI, but I agree that it must have been below 2.8. Due to the fact that lower grade students are more likely to leave before graduating, either because they flunk out, any scholarship is withdrawn, or they just leave, the average GPA of grads is higher than the average of all students.

Grade inflation must really be very significant elsewhere if RPI can be described as modest. Looking at stats for hockey players and other athletes which we often see, there has been a lot of grade inflation at RPI. I don't recall a hockey player being on probation in decades. It was a common occurrence when I was at RPI. I suspect that RPI coaching staff looks at a prospective athlete's academic record more than they did 50 years ago, and tutoring is more available, but grade inflation also helps.
    Athletes (not limited to hockey players but they, obviously, get particular attention and resources as our only D-I sport) have a very structured program with study hall, study groups, weekly tracking, tutors, etc. The hockey players are also heavily concentrated in the Lally School. While that is less intense than most engineering or physical science departments, we should not forget that in the grand scheme of academia it is still far more challenging than most. RPI athletes invest a tremendous of time in their sports and are deserving of any extra resources available.
    Last edited by rpi82; 02-04-2019, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

We know a young lady who is currently in college being paid for my an almost full ride as a scholarship for bowling. She is a bright young lady but i would have never felt back years ago that she could have gained admission to RPI based solely on academics. In those days her SAT scores would have probably disqualified her. She has shown me her transcript of grades and her GPA is now 4.25 with mostly 'A' grades, one 'A-' grade which broke her heart and she had disputed, and a few grades of 'A+' worth more than 4.0 obviously.
      Speaking of SAT scores, are those test still given and are they used as any sort of criteria for admissions to RPI? I have now been out of the loop about these things for some time. There was a time when RPI proudly listed the average SAT scores for the entering classes but I do not think that has been the case now for some time.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        We know a young lady who is currently in college being paid for my an almost full ride as a scholarship for bowling. She is a bright young lady but i would have never felt back years ago that she could have gained admission to RPI based solely on academics. In those days her SAT scores would have probably disqualified her. She has shown me her transcript of grades and her GPA is now 4.25 with mostly 'A' grades, one 'A-' grade which broke her heart and she had disputed, and a few grades of 'A+' worth more than 4.0 obviously.
        Speaking of SAT scores, are those test still given and are they used as any sort of criteria for admissions to RPI? I have now been out of the loop about these things for some time. There was a time when RPI proudly listed the average SAT scores for the entering classes but I do not think that has been the case now for some time.
        Bowling scholarship? Obviously she isn’t at RPI. As for the SAT, RPI’s mean is 1399 and median is 1410 (for the class that entered in 2017). You can get that and a lot of other statistical info for virtually every significant college or university by Googling its Common Data Set.

Comment

Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
          Bowling scholarship? Obviously she isn’t at RPI. As for the SAT, RPI’s mean is 1399 and median is 1410 (for the class that entered in 2017). You can get that and a lot of other statistical info for virtually every significant college or university by Googling its Common Data Set.
          Assuming those numbers are based upon the same scale which I am familiar with and haven't been renormalized or anything, my marks are exactly at the current mean. Interesting.

Bowling brings me back to the alleys in the gym which were not automatic. One person sat behind the alleys, in danger of flying pins, so he could manually reset them. This was already old-fashioned when I was a freshman.
          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-04-2019, 10:36 AM.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Assuming those numbers are based upon the same scale which I am familiar with and haven't been renormalized or anything, my marks are exactly at the current mean. Interesting.

Bowling brings me back to the alleys in the gym which were not automatic. One person sat behind the alleys, in danger of flying pins, so he could manually reset them. This was already old-fashioned when I was a freshman.
            I worked part time as a pin setter in my early teen years at lanes in Brooklyn. I got a 10 cent tip for each game I worked. If i liked the fellow bowling and he was a tipper, he got a good set. If I was setting for a non tipper, I would place the ten pin just off the spot causing more solid ten pins left as spares!

Comment

Are these numbers based on the decades old 800 Math 800 Verbal maximum or is there some other maximum number or a third part to the test?

Comment

I remember when the Student Union games room had a bowling alley. No longer; it's been replaced by a lounge.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  I remember when the Student Union games room had a bowling alley. No longer; it's been replaced by a lounge.
                  Those bowling alleys (weren't there more than one?) replaced those in the gym.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Are these numbers based on the decades old 800 Math 800 Verbal maximum or is there some other maximum number or a third part to the test?
                    Those figures better not include the third part.
                    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-04-2019, 12:03 PM.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

They are from the “new SAT” which is based on 2x800 as you noted. For about a decade they also had a writing section (that few colleges used) for a max of 2400 but it was dropped when they updated the test standards and structure 3 or 4 years ago.

Comment

For a while, there was a third part (instituted after I took it) that made it out of 2400; it has since reverted to 1600.

Comment

Those bowling alleys (weren't there more than one?) replaced those in the gym.
                          There were I believe four lanes (maybe 2), but still constitutes a single bowling alley.

Comment

They are from the “new SAT” which is based on 2x800 as you noted. For about a decade they also had a writing section (that few colleges used) for a max of 2400 but it was dropped when they updated the test standards and structure 3 or 4 years ago.
                            Thanks for the info - just did a search and the numbers for various schools are just fascinating.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I worked part time as a pin setter in my early teen years at lanes in Brooklyn. I got a 10 cent tip for each game I worked. If i liked the fellow bowling and he was a tipper, he got a good set. If I was setting for a non tipper, I would place the ten pin just off the spot causing more solid ten pins left as spares!
                                Dr. D, tonight is my regular bowling league night.

Every time I leave a ten pin, I'm going to think you messed with the automatic pinsetter.

Comment

Working...
                                X