No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zZM...ature=youtu.be
    postgame https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDVH37zcPSo
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      Note-Owen Savory now has the third best save percentage in the country. I think we have our #1 goalie and it is nice to see that he is a freshman.
      I like the fact that he is not a kid. He seems to be coming into his own and I really like the confidence he is playing with. We can ride him for three more years and that can't be bad.
      Since I started following RPI in 1993, we have had some very good goalies, and my favorite has always been Joel Laing. Savory reminds me a lot of him and that is not a bad thing.
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        I like the fact that he is not a kid. He seems to be coming into his own and I really like the confidence he is playing with. We can ride him for three more years and that can't be bad.
        Since I started following RPI in 1993, we have had some very good goalies, and my favorite has always been Joel Laing. Savory reminds me a lot of him and that is not a bad thing.
        While I am certainly very happy that he is doing well, and not allowing older recruits would be age discrimination, it has bothered me for decades when players matriculate who are older than I was the day that I graduated from RPI (20 years, 5 months, and 5 days). JMHO. Note also that Savory is older than Marshall who is a year ahead of him.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

No question he is the real deal. He has kept the team in every game despite being widely outshot in some of them . I imagine Cornell realized early on they were in a dog fight. And it must have bought them back to our big upset win out there last year. Unfortunately in the 5 game span over the 8 days we scored 6 goals/ 1.2 goals per game. But all in all. considering how tired they must be, I thought it was great and vety encouraging to see they still had something left in the tank in OT. But the most amazing thing I saw was in the post game comments: Who the hell dresses Savory? That is one interesting shirt. Be better if it was red and white, though. Then he could order them for the whole team.

Comment

Are we playing Cornell again today?
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              While I am certainly very happy that he is doing well, and not allowing older recruits would be age discrimination, it has bothered me for decades when players matriculate who are older than I was the day that I graduated from RPI (20 years, 5 months, and 5 days). JMHO. Note also that Savory is older than Marshall who is a year ahead of him.
              I think we have to do something to compete in the tough ECAC, and I would rather bring in older players than ease the academic requirements.
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

I think we have to do something to compete in the tough ECAC, and I would rather bring in older players than ease the academic requirements.
                My gut feeling is that academic requirements have been going down for many years, but I do agree that they are more important.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                  No question he is the real deal. He has kept the team in every game despite being widely outshot in some of them . I imagine Cornell realized early on they were in a dog fight. And it must have bought them back to our big upset win out there last year. Unfortunately in the 5 game span over the 8 days we scored 6 goals/ 1.2 goals per game. But all in all. considering how tired they must be, I thought it was great and vety encouraging to see they still had something left in the tank in OT. But the most amazing thing I saw was in the post game comments: Who the hell dresses Savory? That is one interesting shirt. Be better if it was red and white, though. Then he could order them for the whole team.
                  As far as the shirt Savory was wearing, i have the same one. No, wait a minute, I don't have the shirt, Jenny has that as draperies in one of the rooms!!!!
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    My gut feeling is that academic requirements have been going down for many years, but I do agree that they are more important.
                    RB- i agree but i would add that not only are requirements going down, grades have gone up considerably. In our day the most common grade seemed to be a C or at most a B. Now at most schools, and i suspect even at RPI, just about everyone gets an A. (often for just enrolling in the course and shoing up)

Comment

RB- i agree but i would add that not only are requirements going down, grades have gone up considerably. In our day the most common grade seemed to be a C or at most a B. Now at most schools, and i suspect even at RPI, just about everyone gets an A. (often for just enrolling in the course and shoing up)
                      Ok, I’ll be a tough grader and give you a B- for spelling

Comment

Grades certainly have gone up since I worked in the Registrar’s Office 40 years ago. In those days the average GPA was in the 2.8 range (which was probably well up from the pre-Vietnam days). Here’s a great site (www.gradeinflation.com) that discusses the issue and includes links to published papers. According to the data provided our alma mater has been relatively modest in grade inflation compared to most.

It will probably come as no surprise to many that some of our league mates have been major drivers of inflation. A few years ago one of the academic officers at Harvard admitted that the average GPA is an A- and the most common grade is an A. At that point one wonders why they bother giving grades at all. With a 99% graduation rate perhaps they should just include the diploma with the admissions letter.
                        Last edited by rpi82; 02-03-2019, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                          Grades certainly have gone up since I worked in the Registrar’s Office 40 years ago. In those days the average GPA was in the 2.8 range (which was probably well up from the pre-Vietnam days). Here’s a great site (www.gradeinflation.com) that discusses the issue and includes links to published papers. According to the data provided our alma mater has been relatively modest in grade inflation compared to most.

It will probably come as no surprise to many that some of our league mates have been major drivers of inflation. A few years ago one of the academic officers at Harvard admitted that the average GPA is an A- and the most common grade is an A. At that point one wonders why they bother giving grades at all. With a 99% graduation rate perhaps they should just include the diploma with the admissions letter.
                          I think that grade inlflation started long before I attended RPI, and that at some point 2.0 was indeed an average grade. I don't know what it was when I was at RPI, but I agree that it must have been below 2.8. Due to the fact that lower grade students are more likely to leave before graduating, either because they flunk out, any scholarship is withdrawn, or they just leave, the average GPA of grads is higher than the average of all students.

Grade inflation must really be very significant elsewhere if RPI can be described as modest. Looking at stats for hockey players and other athletes which we often see, there has been a lot of grade inflation at RPI. I don't recall a hockey player being on probation in decades. It was a common occurrence when I was at RPI. I suspect that RPI coaching staff looks at a prospective athlete's academic record more than they did 50 years ago, and tutoring is more available, but grade inflation also helps.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Just wondering - with hockey players coming into school much later than most students (many arrive at an age that I was when I was in my second year of medical school) do they bring with them many college credits in advance and if they have received grades for this, do they count in their cumulative average? If they do not count, do they perhaps at least qualify for their core courses so that they can then concentrate their studies at RPI in courses that, shall we say, are easier graded?
                            On a side note - perhaps even the regular non athletes coming into college have received advanced credits that allow them to then also concentrate on courses that are somewhat easier in which to receive higher grades? i have no idea about any of this having been out of college for over 52 years but as I recall getting an 'A' in a course at RPI (especially mathematics, science, architecture or engineering) was in no way a given. A 3.0 average was considered Dean's List and quite the achievement. I actually found my first year in medical school far easier than RPI and frankly just boring memorization.

Comment

Just wondering - with hockey players coming into school much later than most students (many arrive at an age that I was when I was in my second year of medical school) do they bring with them many college credits in advance and if they have received grades for this, do they count in their cumulative average? If they do not count, do they perhaps at least qualify for their core courses so that they can then concentrate their studies at RPI in courses that, shall we say, are easier graded?
                              On a side note - perhaps even the regular non athletes coming into college have received advanced credits that allow them to then also concentrate on courses that are somewhat easier in which to receive higher grades? i have no idea about any of this having been out of college for over 52 years but as I recall getting an 'A' in a course at RPI (especially mathematics, science, architecture or engineering) was in no way a given. A 3.0 average was considered Dean's List and quite the achievement. I actually found my first year in medical school far easier than RPI and frankly just boring memorization.
                              Given the number of students that are graduate transferring (and not just at RPI, but at other schools as well), they have to be bringing in credits. Remember they get tutoring time during the week when in juniors; it wouldn't surprise me if some college credits were included there so they can bypass the 101 here.

I don't think it's just AP, though. A lot of courses are graded on a curve. Also, not much is actually being learned aside from "trivia" and, at least in the humanities, "brainwashing".

Comment

Remember that there also is the rule that if an athlete playing junior hockey reaches his 21st birthday and has not yet matriculated in college, he loses a year of eligibility. Present Freshman Kyle Hallbauer was born in 3/2/97. I am too lazy to look, but he probably played last year after 3/2/18. Assuming that he was taking courses at some college, and it could be a junior college, he won't lose a year of eligibility, but his 5 years to complete his 4 years of hockey eligibility started. Thus we can't red shirt him. Many other players also take courses. Indeed some junior leagues require it for those not still in HS.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X