Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 491

Thread: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

  1. #181
    RPI'88, BU'99
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    North Shore, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,661

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

    Quote Originally Posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    I am neither for or against this administration. I did not attend RPI, but my two kids did and both are doing quite well. So I have high regard for the Institute. They both had a great experience at RPI and that was in part do to the professors and in my daughter's
    case, the diving coach. I am not sure what affect the administration had on their experience.
    I'm just tired of hearing you gripe about Shirley. (Even if it is justified).
    Well said. I must say that anytime I speak to a parent with a kid there now I hear all positives. So... some of this discontent does seem disconnected to me ... from 200 miles away.

  2. #182
    PUCKMAN RULES!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    middletown, ny
    Posts
    14,152

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

    Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    With all due respect, Mike McMahon's tweet talked about how a school's admin commitment is important to having a winning hockey program. That's very topical and prescient.Hope all is well!
    All is well thank you, and I hope you are well also.
    While I respect his opinion on the schools commitment to hockey, I would like to know what he is talking about. What would he like the administration to do?
    Do they not provide scholarships for the hockey teams. Have they not upgraded parts of HFH? Have they gotten in the way of recruiting?
    It seems to me, that we just have not had very good coaching or recruiting for that matter.
    In 1993 when I started following RPI hockey, they were ranked 5th in the nation going into the season. They underachieved that year.
    In 94/95, they were ECAC champs, playing with Buddy Powers players under Fridgen.
    Fridgen continued to have really good teams for the remainder of the 90s and early 2000s. And he got nowhere with them. Seth came in with high hopes and what seemed like a good system. He had one great recruiting class and one good year.
    Up to now, we have had nothing but underachieving coaches.
    You can blame anyone you want, but the blame goes to the leadership in the locker room.
    I am encouraged by what I see Smith doing, but if he can't recruit a scorer or two, we will continue at the bottom of the ECAC, and that is not on the schools administration. JMO
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

  3. #183
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On the pond......
    Posts
    605

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

    Quote Originally Posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    In 1993 when I started following RPI hockey, they were ranked 5th in the nation going into the season. They underachieved that year.
    In 94/95, they were ECAC champs, playing with Buddy Powers players under Fridgen.
    Fridgen continued to have really good teams for the remainder of the 90s and early 2000s. And he got nowhere with them.Seth came in with high hopes and what seemed like a good system. He had one great recruiting class and one good year.
    If I'm not mistaken, Fridgen recruited Buddy's players, similar to Bennett winning with his players after replacing Leaman. For the amount of financial support received, up until Appert, the coaches did a tremendous job with what they had to work with ... Addesa most notably. The recruiting parameters changed when the almighty Shirley entered the picture. By the way, seems like you like her ... and you may be on your own Island in that regard. So you want to blame coaches and recruiting???
    I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a river and have been skating ever since!

  4. #184
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    200,825

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

    Quote Originally Posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    I am neither for or against this administration. I did not attend RPI, but my two kids did and both are doing quite well. So I have high regard for the Institute. They both had a great experience at RPI and that was in part do to the professors and in my daughter's
    case, the diving coach. I am not sure what affect the administration had on their experience.
    I'm just tired of hearing you gripe about Shirley. (Even if it is justified).
    I hear that Cornell has a good diving coach.

  5. #185
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    200,825

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading


  6. #186
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    200,825

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading




    He'll get to wear an ugly helmet.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-15-2019 at 11:21 AM.

  7. #187
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    200,825

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading


  8. #188
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    200,825

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Probably bought a new ice resurfacing machine.
    Close.


  9. #189
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    8,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Close.

    Really, really sad that this amounts to news at HFH. Par for the course. I suppose asking to make Dunkin Donuts coffee (yes I still refer to the donut and always will ) available is too much to ask ? They're only a prominent dasher advertiser and on ice sponsor ...

  10. #190
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    8,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Close.

    I guess we should consider this important addition as the ballyhooed HFH renovations for 2018-2019.

  11. #191
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    200,825

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Really, really sad that this amounts to news at HFH. Par for the course. I suppose asking to make Dunkin Donuts coffee (yes I still refer to the donut and always will ) available is too much to ask ? They're only a prominent dasher advertiser and on ice sponsor ...
    Even more news.


  12. #192
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,720

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    I guess we should consider this important addition as the ballyhooed HFH renovations for 2018-2019.
    +1 well said, pls send my best to your bro
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  13. #193
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,720

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

    Emil was an incredible loss for this program. He is tearing it up at Waterloo
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  14. #194
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    48,064

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Really, really sad that this amounts to news at HFH. Par for the course. I suppose asking to make Dunkin Donuts coffee (yes I still refer to the donut and always will ) available is too much to ask ? They're only a prominent dasher advertiser and on ice sponsor ...
    This one always pours right, can operate during open skates and other practice sessions, don't need to have the kids around to man it... I can see why they picked it.

    But yeah, either Dunkin' or Stewart's (normally I'd say Tim Horton's but that's wishful thinking) with a branding deal would be a good thing. I still think local brewers (whether micro or farm) should have a tap room behind the east end goal with the pep band above, but again, wishful thinking.

  15. #195
    PUCKMAN RULES!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    middletown, ny
    Posts
    14,152

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

    Quote Originally Posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Fridgen recruited Buddy's players, similar to Bennett winning with his players after replacing Leaman. For the amount of financial support received, up until Appert, the coaches did a tremendous job with what they had to work with ... Addesa most notably. The recruiting parameters changed when the almighty Shirley entered the picture. By the way, seems like you like her ... and you may be on your own Island in that regard. So you want to blame coaches and recruiting???
    You are wrong, I have no opinion on Shirley at all.
    What recruiting parameters changed? Did she indicate who or where we could recruit?
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

  16. #196
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    48,064

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

    Quote Originally Posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    You are wrong, I have no opinion on Shirley at all.
    What recruiting parameters changed? Did she indicate who or where we could recruit?
    Recruiting parameters have changed. However, it has nothing to do with the administration, and neither who nor where. Rather, how. In previous years, you'd have to travel all over the continent on tips to get lucky in finding good players. Now, all you have to do is get a subscription to junior league casts to screen players you're looking for, and then if the file comes back they're free, request travel budget and work some magic. Higher rate of return.

  17. #197
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    48,064

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

    Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    Emil was an incredible loss for this program. He is tearing it up at Waterloo
    What's done is done. He's a good hockey player and I saw a lot of potential out of him in the year he was with us, but that doesn't mean he was right for Coach Smith's vision for the team, especially considering he was benched for a good chunk of the late season. I'd say what we have today is very competitive, and I'm looking forward to this weekend's contests.

  18. #198
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    133

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

    I have been a season ticket holder for over 27 years. There have been a few good years, no real great years. Many good and a few great players in that time. Chase Polachek being among the latter. And the conversation always comes down to Why? Why can't we get and remain in the upper tier of ECAC teams and, at least, play in the occasional NCAA tournament. I think pointing the finger at SLJ or SA or DF or whomever is easy. I think there are many aspects to this. Losing is not attractive to good players. One change in my tenure is the larger percentage of NCAA players in the NHL. So if you stand a better chance of going pro, where are you going to play college? It matters so much more now than ever. Look at the number of teams in the same boat as RPI: Brown, Princeton, Dartmouth, Colgate maybe. And each conference has teams like this. Oh they have the odd good year, but primarily all are bottom six dwellers. All due to their University presidents or AD's? Or Coaches (some have multi decade coaches). When 90% of these players are BMgt students, I doubt academics plays a huge role here. So the real challenge is to get a few really good players to pick RPI over another school. Winning records, playing with other good players, playing for a coach that will help you become better and make the pros, or playing for a coach who can take a so so group of players and teach them how to be a winning team on a regular basis are all good reasons to pick a particular school. I thought Weber would help with the pro part. But ultimately when we are talking about bowling or coffee machines is not a good sign. This is a better team. I think we are 1 or 2 pieces away from 4th, 5th , or 6th place. The real problem is getting there consistently to make the occasional run at the top.

  19. #199
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    48,064

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

    Quote Originally Posted by 25+years View Post
    I have been a season ticket holder for over 27 years. There have been a few good years, no real great years. Many good and a few great players in that time. Chase Polachek being among the latter. And the conversation always comes down to Why? Why can't we get and remain in the upper tier of ECAC teams and, at least, play in the occasional NCAA tournament. I think pointing the finger at SLJ or SA or DF or whomever is easy. I think there are many aspects to this. Losing is not attractive to good players. One change in my tenure is the larger percentage of NCAA players in the NHL. So if you stand a better chance of going pro, where are you going to play college? It matters so much more now than ever. Look at the number of teams in the same boat as RPI: Brown, Princeton, Dartmouth, Colgate maybe. And each conference has teams like this. Oh they have the odd good year, but primarily all are bottom six dwellers. All due to their University presidents or AD's? Or Coaches (some have multi decade coaches). When 90% of these players are BMgt students, I doubt academics plays a huge role here. So the real challenge is to get a few really good players to pick RPI over another school. Winning records, playing with other good players, playing for a coach that will help you become better and make the pros, or playing for a coach who can take a so so group of players and teach them how to be a winning team on a regular basis are all good reasons to pick a particular school. I thought Weber would help with the pro part. But ultimately when we are talking about bowling or coffee machines is not a good sign. This is a better team. I think we are 1 or 2 pieces away from 4th, 5th , or 6th place. The real problem is getting there consistently to make the occasional run at the top.
    Truth. What we all want to see from RPI. Now for the $64,000 question: What are the one or two pieces, and how will the staff be able to extract that from any student that walks through that door? You can come with all the skill in the world, but unless you can properly apply it, as well as raise your overall game while not sacrificing what you brought to the table to begin with, the potential goes by the wayside.

  20. #200
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Truth. What we all want to see from RPI. Now for the $64,000 question: What are the one or two pieces, and how will the staff be able to extract that from any student that walks through that door? You can come with all the skill in the world, but unless you can properly apply it, as well as raise your overall game while not sacrificing what you brought to the table to begin with, the potential goes by the wayside.
    Agreed. If the player is considered good, he has been in other teams with other coaches and done well. Playing both ends of the ice well AND using the skill that draws recruiters to you is what the coaching brings to the table. It is still to be determined if DS can bring the group of players he recruits to the next level or is he like the coaches before him who could not. And remember the coaches arenít the only ones recruiting. Good players are recruiting coaches as well. Because good players have options of where they play. What we ant is a few to want to come here.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •