RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
    I am not a student or alumnus. I don't know how my comment about creating funding to encourage student coverage of away games could be viewed as a critique of alumni broadcasters, but it is too bad that students are disinterested. I called a baseball game once at my undergrad many years ago and it was a blast. I assume that the WRPI bylaws limit participation to current students and alumni, otherwise it would make sense to open the role up to others. There has got to be an aspiring broadcaster somewhere looking for some quality airtime.
    Not your post, per se, just a culmination of everyone’s complaining theoughout the year, although given the thread title I shouldn’t be surprised. Just that we, as broadcasters, can’t do anything about it. Student apathy runs deep and life gets in the way with the announcers that are there. Sorry for sounding bitter.

My suggestion for an off-season thread title: RPI hockey: Where’d everyone go?
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Originally posted by jericho View Post
      You think i’m joking?
      I just did some research. You were not joking!
      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-06-2019, 12:24 PM.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Not bad.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          I did, but I am usually wrong.
          Google it.
          Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Google it.
            I was reading stuff while you wrote this and changed the post which you quoted.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Twitter, Reddit, and Discord (not that RPI hockey discussion is really thriving in those fora, but that's where active students and recent alumni tend to go)
              RPI Pep Band
              GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
              🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
              2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
              2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                But are you thrilled about cutting a player that isn't up to snuff after about the same amount of time?
                This is college hockey, we should all remember. There isn't a farm team to call up/send down from. I think players going pro early is how it is now for all schools. In a sense the schools with the better players get hit harder and more often. As to the other players....I think Smith has had his ability to get "his " players. To sign a player, then after a year or two you decide they don't fit, aren't as good as you thought they'd be, or you find someone better or a transfer and "cut" a player to make room is going down a slippery slope. For once it becomes clear the school has no allegiance to the player, expect players to react in kind. Less skilled players will go through the season always looking over their shoulder. I hope this won't be the norm going forward. After all how much time is enough time for a player to develop or fit in? I think we have all seen players perform better with time and some who do the opposite. The coaches who are confident with their system, know how to teach it, can find the players that can fit in or who have the ability to change their game for the system will produce successful teams. Look at what Barry Trotz did with the Islanders. When was the last time you said "These guys are much better than they appear on paper" about RPI? Ever thought that about other college teams?

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                  This is college hockey, we should all remember. There isn't a farm team to call up/send down from. I think players going pro early is how it is now for all schools. In a sense the schools with the better players get hit harder and more often. As to the other players....I think Smith has had his ability to get "his " players. To sign a player, then after a year or two you decide they don't fit, aren't as good as you thought they'd be, or you find someone better or a transfer and "cut" a player to make room is going down a slippery slope. For once it becomes clear the school has no allegiance to the player, expect players to react in kind. Less skilled players will go through the season always looking over their shoulder. I hope this won't be the norm going forward. After all how much time is enough time for a player to develop or fit in? I think we have all seen players perform better with time and some who do the opposite. The coaches who are confident with their system, know how to teach it, can find the players that can fit in or who have the ability to change their game for the system will produce successful teams. Look at what Barry Trotz did with the Islanders. When was the last time you said "These guys are much better than they appear on paper" about RPI? Ever thought that about other college teams?
                  I agree that Smith will get a bad reputation if he constantly cuts players. I will give him slack with SA's players, but cutting more than one or maybe two of his own players a year would be worrisome.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

If the school can't put their own broadcast out for whatever reason for away games, could the school purchase the opponent's broadcast and air it on WRPI? If you look at NBCSN broadcast of college hockey, sometimes it is the local, home team broadcasters who have a clear bias. The question is would RPI fans prefer that to no broadcast at all, if it were possible?

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                      If the school can't put their own broadcast out for whatever reason for away games, could the school purchase the opponent's broadcast and air it on WRPI? If you look at NBCSN broadcast of college hockey, sometimes it is the local, home team broadcasters who have a clear bias. The question is would RPI fans prefer that to no broadcast at all, if it were possible?
                      What would be the point of that for either party? If the home-team broadcast is available for free, why would WRPI pay for it? If it's not, why would the school allow their broadcast to go out on a free service? The only benefit is that it could be made available over-the-air, but how many people listen to RPI sports that way? I'm not close enough to Troy to listen to WRPI the old-fashioned way, so I exclusively listen to it online. I assume most people do the same, though I could be way off-base.
                      RPI Pep Band
                      🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                        What would be the point of that for either party? If the home-team broadcast is available for free, why would WRPI pay for it? If it's not, why would the school allow their broadcast to go out on a free service? The only benefit is that it could be made available over-the-air, but how many people listen to RPI sports that way? I'm not close enough to Troy to listen to WRPI the old-fashioned way, so I exclusively listen to it online. I assume most people do the same, though I could be way off-base.
                        It would be interesting to know what portion of WRPI's hockey audience is over the air vs. on line. I would think that most is on line, but that is not the case for most of its non-sports broadcasting.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Twitter, Reddit, and Discord (not that RPI hockey discussion is really thriving in those fora, but that's where active students and recent alumni tend to go)
                          Thanks for being here instead of with the other recent alumni.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                            My point was that in previous entries it was pointed out that sending students to broadcast away games, the school would be dealing with the cost of sending those students (renting a car and insurance costs if students are under 25, hotel and food costs, etc. ). Furthermore the school can’t get students to go to away games and broadcast. I have no idea what the cost would be to “obtain” the broadcast from the opponent’s school, but it might be comparable to paying the costs of sending students. I am not referring to home games. I guess if you can get the broadcast on line from the other team’s broadcast it makes it a moot point. I guess I’m just an old fashioned FM guy.
                            Last edited by 25+years; 03-06-2019, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              Thanks for being here instead of with the other recent alumni.
                              I mean, I use those platforms too.
                              RPI Pep Band
                              🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

I mean, I use those platforms too.
                                I have looked at Reddit and haven't seen much although perhaps I have not been in the correct place. The problem with Twitter is that one just can't read a person's posts about RPI hockey. I follow Ken Schott on Twitter and have to wade through all of his posts about Philadelphia sports teams. For that reason, among others, I have yet to post on twitter, as my other major interests would be of no interest to RPI hockey fans. I have never heard of Discord.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X