No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    There were I believe four lanes (maybe 2), but still constitutes a single bowling alley.
    I didn't realize that, but you are correct.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
      Dr. D, tonight is my regular bowling league night.

Every time I leave a ten pin, I'm going to think you messed with the automatic pinsetter.
      I had the job for two lanes (sat in a little cut out area between them). Had to step on a lever for little pins to pop up and then set the bowling pins on each as each had a small hole on the bottom to fit on what projected upward. If you were bowling on Kings Lanes on Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn in 1961 I would have made sure your pins were set properly. That is, unless you happen to stiff me out of my dime tip!
      Last edited by DrDemento; 02-04-2019, 04:52 PM.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
        Bowling scholarship? Obviously she isn’t at RPI. As for the SAT, RPI’s mean is 1399 and median is 1410 (for the class that entered in 2017). You can get that and a lot of other statistical info for virtually every significant college or university by Googling its Common Data Set.
        She is using the bowling scholarship just to pay for college as she fully understands there is little chance to earn any sort of living as a female professional bowler. BTW she carries a 211 average (i know so little about the sport that I have no clue if that is really good but I know it would be a lot higher than i could ever get).

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          She is using the bowling scholarship just to pay for college as she fully understands there is little chance to earn any sort of living as a female professional bowler. BTW she carries a 211 average (i know so little about the sport that I have no clue if that is really good but I know it would be a lot higher than i could ever get).
          I think that’s a pro quality average. However, I just can’t imagine there are many schools that I’ve bowling scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
            I had the job for two lanes (sat in a little cut out area between them). Had to step on a lever for little pins to pop up and then set the bowling pins on each as each had a small hole on the bottom to fit on what projected upward. If you were bowling on Kings Lanes on Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn in 1961 I would have made sure your pins were set properly. That is, unless you happen to stiff me out of my dime tip!
            Same here Doc. My time doing that was 1963- 1964 at the St. Joseph's alleys in south Troy. Two lanes upstairs and two more downstairs in the parish's activity hall. Activity hall long since condemned and demolished. Adjoining grammar school long since sold to a private not for profit. Sad sight whenever driving through the old neighborhood in the present.

Two years back then must have been an eternity in both bowling technology and etiquette. After picking up the ball, putting it on the rail and giving it a little shove, I only had to put the pins knocked down on the first shot in their proper slots of the semi automatic machine. After the second shot you had to grab any pins still standing and the others that got knocked down and put them in the remaining slots. After that all you had to do was pull a string to make the machine descend and set a fresh rack. The only difference was that after the second shot returning the ball ASAP was not the priority it was after the first shot. Other differences two years later were that I remember each lane had their own kid most times (unless someone did not show up) and quarters being skimmed down the lane at me instead of dimes. It added up pretty good back then.

Unlike yourself apparently, five and a half decades later I still remember the guys who threw hard. There wasn't much room to hide in those pits and the flame throwers who could turn pins in to projectiles sometimes sent you home with a welt or two.

Comment

Originally posted by tony/troy View Post
              Same here Doc. My time doing that was 1963- 1964 at the St. Joseph's alleys in south Troy. Two lanes upstairs and two more downstairs in the parish's activity hall. Activity hall long since condemned and demolished. Adjoining grammar school long since sold to a private not for profit. Sad sight whenever driving through the old neighborhood in the present.

Two years back then must have been an eternity in both bowling technology and etiquette. After picking up the ball, putting it on the rail and giving it a little shove, I only had to put the pins knocked down on the first shot in their proper slots of the semi automatic machine. After the second shot you had to grab any pins still standing and the others that got knocked down and put them in the remaining slots. After that all you had to do was pull a string to make the machine descend and set a fresh rack. The only difference was that after the second shot returning the ball ASAP was not the priority it was after the first shot. Other differences two years later were that I remember each lane had their own kid most times (unless someone did not show up) and quarters being skimmed down the lane at me instead of dimes. It added up pretty good back then...
              Adding new meaning to the question 'How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?'

Comment

Harvard rewards the ECAC for all those Beanpot scheduling accommodations with another first round loss.
                The cantabs can't have it their way.

Comment

I received an email from Shirley who must be reading this. The thread title didn't scare her off.

Here is part of it which is relevant to recent discussion.

Enrollment
                  The demand for a Rensselaer education has never been stronger. We had over 20,400 applications for a place in this year's freshman class - another record - leading to a freshman class of 1,778 students. We were able to select, and enroll, an extremely talented and diverse group of students. The average SAT score of entering students was 1410, with a middle 50 percent range of 1330-1500. The Class of 2022 includes more women and underrepresented minorities than any class in our history.

Our students are attracted to Rensselaer because of the exceptional quality of our faculty, the strength of our distinctive programs, and our rising reputation. I thank our deans and department chairs for their leadership, and all of our faculty for their expertise, collaboration, and commitment.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I remember the all student average GPA was 2.3 in 1965. It was 2.8 later.

Comment

Originally posted by tony/troy View Post

Two years back then must have been an eternity in both bowling technology and etiquette. After picking up the ball, putting it on the rail and giving it a little shove, I only had to put the pins knocked down on the first shot in their proper slots of the semi automatic machine. After the second shot you had to grab any pins still standing and the others that got knocked down and put them in the remaining slots. After that all you had to do was pull a string to make the machine descend and set a fresh rack. The only difference was that after the second shot returning the ball ASAP was not the priority it was after the first shot. Other differences two years later were that I remember each lane had their own kid most times (unless someone did not show up) and quarters being skimmed down the lane at me instead of dimes. It added up pretty good back then.

Unlike yourself apparently, five and a half decades later I still remember the guys who threw hard. There wasn't much room to hide in those pits and the flame throwers who could turn pins in to projectiles sometimes sent you home with a welt or two.
                        Sounds very familiar. I got hit with a few flying pins but not all that many. i suppose the lanes I worked had just enough room for me to squeeze into so that i did not take too many direct hits. But for me, it was the outrageous noise. Most kids wore headphone but my family just could not afford me that luxury so I put cigarette butts in my ears which filtered (no pun intended) out most of the clamor. I got to bowl free and wasn't half bad but I just never found the game of much interest (at the time i did not consider it a sport) and preferred those that allowed me to express my hot temper. I played hockey, football, and pitched baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                          I think that’s a pro quality average. However, I just can’t imagine there are many schools that I’ve bowling scholarships.
                          I never thought there was many schools offering scholarships either until I got interested in finding funding for this young lady. There are as many as there are for hockey if not more. At some schools, Nebraska, Vanderbilt, McKendree, it is truly a major sport. Take a quick look here http://www.ncaawomensbowling.com/NTCA_STATISTICS.html to get some idea.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI67 View Post
                            I remember the all student average GPA was 2.3 in 1965. It was 2.8 later.
                            My memory is similar. I was in Troy for those years and those numbers sound spot on. A hook (as we call a grade of 'C') was not all that bad and as mentioned before, B and C were the most common grades.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              I received an email from Shirley who must be reading this. The thread title didn't scare her off.

Here is part of it which is relevant to recent discussion.
                              Hey Dude, how many emails have you received from Shirley?
                              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                              Benjamin Franklin
                              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                              Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                                Hey Dude, how many emails have you received from Shirley?
                                I don't think that I get any directly from her. They are from someone in the admin.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X