No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Not sure when you said yes; if it was recently, that's probably why, because there really aren't many opportunities. Jericho, have you been slacking?
    It was months ago at this point I believe

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Originally posted by johnk View Post
      Starting this season I think they went to streaming only instead of commercial radio.
      That would certainly explain it; I can't hit your FM out here (I can get WGY at night, but that's the extent of your area), so I was listening online.

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
        This team needs players with solid hockey IQ. That is one area they are lacking in severely. You can pick late developing players and have successful programs. Ben Barr has been successful with his programs not because of the grade A recruits but because of the B and C recruits that he finds.
        I agree with that. It seems the team compounds its issues with some bad decision making under pressure. And it is exacerbated when the team's confidence drops.

I'll echo Ralph's thanks on the Billy Jerry news. I know it is a new world in terms of protecting student privacy, but it is surprising that this was not reported somewhere previously.

Comment

Why are people still obsessing over Ben Barr? The coaching decision has been made. Get. Over. It.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Why are people still obsessing over Ben Barr? The coaching decision has been made. Get. Over. It.
            No obsessing here. Didn’t want him as a coach. Just pointing out what he’s done as a recruiter.

Comment

The lack of away game coverage on WRPI has been really disappointing. Complaints have been lodged with the school over it and it seems like part of the issue is that the school does not provide any budget for a student broadcast team to go to the away games. The school has a communications program; creating a modest source of funds for students to work the away games would have an educational purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
                No obsessing here. Didn’t want him as a coach. Just pointing out what he’s done as a recruiter.
                No interest in revisiting the coaching hire here either. I was reacting to the "hockey IQ" point.

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                  The lack of away game coverage on WRPI has been really disappointing. Complaints have been lodged with the school over it and it seems like part of the issue is that the school does not provide any budget for a student broadcast team to go to the away games. The school has a communications program; creating a modest source of funds for students to work the away games would have an educational purpose.
                  We all have lives. WRPI’s problems go hand in hand with the lack of student interest. If they don’t want to walk the couple of blocks to the Field House to watch a game, why would they want to drive themselves to places like Potsdam, Hamilton, and even Schenectady to broadcast them? Perry’s first priority is his job in the SID’’s office, Kurt wants to deservedly have a lighter schedule, I need to concentrate on my growing family, Tom has a growing family and a mayoral campaign to worry about, and Joe is himself a student athlete. If you are, or you know, a current student with interest in broadcasting, we’ll teach you the nuts and bolts. We all can’t be Tim Heiman, whose broadcast career is very successful.
                  Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Are we stuck with smith
                    For 2 more years if he and team is awful again next year ,?
                    I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                      We all have lives. WRPI’s problems go hand in hand with the lack of student interest. If they don’t want to walk the couple of blocks to the Field House to watch a game, why would they want to drive themselves to places like Potsdam, Hamilton, and even Schenectady to broadcast them? Perry’s first priority is his job in the SID’’s office, Kurt wants to deservedly have a lighter schedule, I need to concentrate on my growing family, Tom has a growing family and a mayoral campaign to worry about, and Joe is himself a student athlete. If you are, or you know, a current student with interest in broadcasting, we’ll teach you the nuts and bolts. We all can’t be Tim Heiman, whose broadcast career is very successful.
                      Good to hear that Tom is running for mayor.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
                        Are we stuck with smith
                        For 2 more years if he and team is awful again next year ,?
                        If you'd rather Barr, he's over at UMA. Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                          Wow, this thread blew up since I've been gone, so I'm going to comment on everything I've seen said here.

Everyone was very optimistic recently when the team was competitive pretty much in every game since the start of 2019 and was looking solid. Yes, they laid a stinker this entire weekend in pretty much identical games, but that does not erase an entire season's work. This team showed many flashes and was markedly an improvement in all areas over last season's team. This was a positive step forward for the program. Being competitive with top teams was what I liked most this season and that gives me hope for next season.

Now onto some other things. I don't understand the thrashing of Hayhurst, Reilly and Burgess.
                          Hayhurst is by far our best player and looks a step above everyone else on the ice. This season he was a hobey baker nominee, and next season, I think there's a good chance he makes the jump from nominee to actual contender.
                          Reilly is by far our best defenseman. He has wonderful offensive skills and is pretty reliable defensively. He can be streaky and inconsistent, but he's our best defenseman and that's just a fact. Hopefully, next season he develops that consistency. As for the Penguins, I don't see them trying to sign him honestly. I don't think he is consistent enough to make the immediate jump to the NHL, and they likely know that.
                          As for Burgess, this is essentially his sophomore season, and he has looked pretty good this season. Last season, I was confused about how he was drafted, but this season has been a great improvement. He has a great release and shot (see a couple of his absolute snipes for goals this season), his hands are way better and look like the most upgraded part of his game, and with his size, he plays physical and wins a good amount of puck battles. Next season, he should also be better like the 2 above, and if Burgess doesn't want to use his medical redshirt, I wouldn't be surprised if those 3 are the captains.

Now, as for our future, there are a lot of pieces to this team that are really promising. First off, we have an outstanding goaltender who was one of the best in all of college hockey this season, AND he's only a freshman. That is a major building block. In addition, Ottoville Leppanen looked really, really good this season. He has a knack for finding the open man, wins puck battles with strength and skill and is just all-around a very solid and good player. Our freshmen defensemen also all look pretty promising. Jake Johnson is a solid all-around defenseman who has great talent and skills on both sides. He had the occasional mental lapse which would lead to a goal or an odd-man rush, but he's only a freshman and as he cuts down on those, he will be a really good player for the rest of his career (he already is a good player I'd say). Kyle Hallbauer has excellent offensive skills and is a long-term Reilly replacement in that regard. He also needs to cut down on mental mistakes and play more disciplined defensively, but his offensive skills are much needed. Brady Ferner hasn't really impressed me with exceptional skills, but he has seemed solid all-around and does not make many mental mistakes. He already seems very disciplined and mature and routinely makes good defensive plays even if he does not contribute much offensively. Other freshmen to look at are Jakub Lacka (good shot and release and offensive skills but needs to get much stronger and play better defense), Nick Bowman (great release and shot, needs more consistency and less mental lapses, but has the size and strength too), Tommy Lee (almost looks like Hayhurst but needs to play stronger and more consistent; very fast and has great pucks skills) and Ture Linden (solid all-around, not an outstanding skills in one area, but no major weaknesses and does not have mental lapses or make too many mistakes). I think they provide a solid foundation.

The transfers were also pretty good. Zieky has been our top goal scorer despite playing half the season, and his shot is outstanding. Gornall is aggressive, physical and great defensively. Bear hasn't really impressed but he's a solid piece.

Looking to next season, I expect Mat Harris for sure to be cut. He has looked absolutely horrendous this season and like a liability every time he's been on the ice. Jaren Burke already left, so that is already set. Ott sometimes has looked good and sometimes not good at all, so he will be one to watch as he hasn't played much in the 2nd half but has been good at times. Billy Jerry hasn't really done much this season and has rode the bench most of the second half but had a promising freshman year. Those would be the main cut candidates.

The recruits look pretty decent too, but I'm mostly excited for Gunnarwolfe Fontaine (forward) as he's been excellent in the USHL this season (plus how can't you be excited by his name and his flow!) and Simon Kjellberg, a defenseman from Sweden who is a Rangers draft pick. In summary, I think we've got some talent and will be good next season.

As for the "who even cares about this team?" question, I ********** care. I'm the treasurer of Red Army and will be transitioning to president at the end of the semester. Sure, we haven't had good attendance, but we had 90 students buy season tickets this year (a lot considering the disaster of the past 2 seasons). Hopefully, that number will go up. The lack of attendance this week was because this weekend was the start of our spring break. In general, I will admit that the student body does not care about the team. The general mentality from talking to other students is "why should I go to the games; we suck and we'll lose". However, I have some plans and ideas to try to improve the outlook from the students and the publicity (PR), media and general atmosphere surrounding the team. I am looking forward to when I can discuss that at length with the athletics department once I am president. Unfortunately, that will still only do so much as winning (or lack thereof) is what will change things, but that won't stop me from trying to do what I can. All we can do is hope that they finish the year strong and next year make some noise.

I have hope for the future of this team, and after seeing positivity for all of the second half of the season (until now), it's annoying that everyone seems to be turning against the team and Smith after one bad weekend when overall the team has been competitive this season. I think this season can be seen as a stepping stone to better things to come, and I hope I'm not the only one
                          Thanks for the positive comments and your service. I agree with your player evaluation. Zieky (14 points only 2 penalties) in half a season is great news. I like the 11,16,12 line for the Yale series. I have been mostly optimistic at least hopeful since 1963. Lost some optimism last weekend but your post helps get it back.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                            How about the school throwing in a credit per semester or even a year of broadcasting. Obviously, to qualify for the credit a student would have to broadcast a minimum amount of games over the course of a semester or year. That could be four to eight credits toward a very valuable degree. That may motivate students to participate.

However, one problem with sending a tandem of students to an away game is that neither of them are likely to be 25 years old. The school renting cars for students under 25 is going to be a very expensive proposition for both rental rates and insurance the school must carry for under age drivers. An older alumni broadcaster would have to always be involved as the driver of the rental vehicle.

Regardless, something has to be done regarding keeping something on the air that has been done on the school station for approximately six decades. In fact, one of the reasons the station was founded to begin with was to broadcast school events (read their charter or whatever it is called). So cover the dammed school events, especially for the many elderly fans the athletic teams have. More than a few of that group lack the computer skills necessary to stream games. Of those that have the skills, a number simply will not provide credit card information to here today and gone tomorrow web sites to pay for the stream (I myself am in that group). For them, radio is the only option they are completely comfortable with. Fork it over!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tony/troy View Post
                              How about the school throwing in a credit per semester or even a year of broadcasting. Obviously, to qualify for the credit a student would have to broadcast a minimum amount of games over the course of a semester or year. That could be four to eight credits toward a very valuable degree. That may motivate students to participate.

However, one problem with sending a tandem of students to an away game is that neither of them are likely to be 25 years old. The school renting cars for students under 25 is going to be a very expensive proposition for both rental rates and insurance the school must carry for under age drivers. An older alumni broadcaster would have to always be involved as the driver of the rental vehicle.

Regardless, something has to be done regarding keeping something on the air that has been done on the school station for approximately six decades. In fact, one of the reasons the station was founded to begin with was to broadcast school events (read their charter or whatever it is called). So cover the dammed school events, especially for the many elderly fans the athletic teams have. More than a few of that group lack the computer skills necessary to stream games. Of those that have the skills, a number simply will not provide credit card information to here today and gone tomorrow web sites to pay for the stream (I myself am in that group). For them, radio is the only option they are completely comfortable with. Fork it over!!!
                              Could a broadcaster legally travel with the team on their bus?
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Just realized: It also doesn't help that the school administration tosses the kids out for a semester on a forced co-op. Even the band has had to adjust.

Comment

Working...
                                X