No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    You are wrong, I have no opinion on Shirley at all.
    What recruiting parameters changed? Did she indicate who or where we could recruit?
    Recruiting parameters have changed. However, it has nothing to do with the administration, and neither who nor where. Rather, how. In previous years, you'd have to travel all over the continent on tips to get lucky in finding good players. Now, all you have to do is get a subscription to junior league casts to screen players you're looking for, and then if the file comes back they're free, request travel budget and work some magic. Higher rate of return.

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
      Emil was an incredible loss for this program. He is tearing it up at Waterloo
      What's done is done. He's a good hockey player and I saw a lot of potential out of him in the year he was with us, but that doesn't mean he was right for Coach Smith's vision for the team, especially considering he was benched for a good chunk of the late season. I'd say what we have today is very competitive, and I'm looking forward to this weekend's contests.

Comment

I have been a season ticket holder for over 27 years. There have been a few good years, no real great years. Many good and a few great players in that time. Chase Polachek being among the latter. And the conversation always comes down to Why? Why can't we get and remain in the upper tier of ECAC teams and, at least, play in the occasional NCAA tournament. I think pointing the finger at SLJ or SA or DF or whomever is easy. I think there are many aspects to this. Losing is not attractive to good players. One change in my tenure is the larger percentage of NCAA players in the NHL. So if you stand a better chance of going pro, where are you going to play college? It matters so much more now than ever. Look at the number of teams in the same boat as RPI: Brown, Princeton, Dartmouth, Colgate maybe. And each conference has teams like this. Oh they have the odd good year, but primarily all are bottom six dwellers. All due to their University presidents or AD's? Or Coaches (some have multi decade coaches). When 90% of these players are BMgt students, I doubt academics plays a huge role here. So the real challenge is to get a few really good players to pick RPI over another school. Winning records, playing with other good players, playing for a coach that will help you become better and make the pros, or playing for a coach who can take a so so group of players and teach them how to be a winning team on a regular basis are all good reasons to pick a particular school. I thought Weber would help with the pro part. But ultimately when we are talking about bowling or coffee machines is not a good sign. This is a better team. I think we are 1 or 2 pieces away from 4th, 5th , or 6th place. The real problem is getting there consistently to make the occasional run at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
          I have been a season ticket holder for over 27 years. There have been a few good years, no real great years. Many good and a few great players in that time. Chase Polachek being among the latter. And the conversation always comes down to Why? Why can't we get and remain in the upper tier of ECAC teams and, at least, play in the occasional NCAA tournament. I think pointing the finger at SLJ or SA or DF or whomever is easy. I think there are many aspects to this. Losing is not attractive to good players. One change in my tenure is the larger percentage of NCAA players in the NHL. So if you stand a better chance of going pro, where are you going to play college? It matters so much more now than ever. Look at the number of teams in the same boat as RPI: Brown, Princeton, Dartmouth, Colgate maybe. And each conference has teams like this. Oh they have the odd good year, but primarily all are bottom six dwellers. All due to their University presidents or AD's? Or Coaches (some have multi decade coaches). When 90% of these players are BMgt students, I doubt academics plays a huge role here. So the real challenge is to get a few really good players to pick RPI over another school. Winning records, playing with other good players, playing for a coach that will help you become better and make the pros, or playing for a coach who can take a so so group of players and teach them how to be a winning team on a regular basis are all good reasons to pick a particular school. I thought Weber would help with the pro part. But ultimately when we are talking about bowling or coffee machines is not a good sign. This is a better team. I think we are 1 or 2 pieces away from 4th, 5th , or 6th place. The real problem is getting there consistently to make the occasional run at the top.
          Truth. What we all want to see from RPI. Now for the $64,000 question: What are the one or two pieces, and how will the staff be able to extract that from any student that walks through that door? You can come with all the skill in the world, but unless you can properly apply it, as well as raise your overall game while not sacrificing what you brought to the table to begin with, the potential goes by the wayside.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Truth. What we all want to see from RPI. Now for the $64,000 question: What are the one or two pieces, and how will the staff be able to extract that from any student that walks through that door? You can come with all the skill in the world, but unless you can properly apply it, as well as raise your overall game while not sacrificing what you brought to the table to begin with, the potential goes by the wayside.
            Agreed. If the player is considered good, he has been in other teams with other coaches and done well. Playing both ends of the ice well AND using the skill that draws recruiters to you is what the coaching brings to the table. It is still to be determined if DS can bring the group of players he recruits to the next level or is he like the coaches before him who could not. And remember the coaches aren’t the only ones recruiting. Good players are recruiting coaches as well. Because good players have options of where they play. What we ant is a few to want to come here.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              What's done is done. He's a good hockey player and I saw a lot of potential out of him in the year he was with us, but that doesn't mean he was right for Coach Smith's vision for the team, especially considering he was benched for a good chunk of the late season. I'd say what we have today is very competitive, and I'm looking forward to this weekend's contests.
              I'm glad your bullish on the team, I see the loss of players like Emil and especially Mike Cameron as not good . You say we are missing a couple of pieces; they might have been it. Time will tell.
              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

You are wrong, I have no opinion on Shirley at all.
                What recruiting parameters changed? Did she indicate who or where we could recruit?
                Please don't take this the wrong way, but just asking the question indicates your lack of knowledge regarding RPI hockey recruiting. I won't respond to FD saying that recruiting parameters has nothing to do with the Admin ... how so wrong you are!
                I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                  Please don't take this the wrong way, but just asking the question indicates your lack of knowledge regarding RPI hockey recruiting. I won't respond to FD saying that recruiting parameters has nothing to do with the Admin ... how so wrong you are!
                  To think the administration has nothing to do with recruiting parameters is folly, and a complete mis-characterizing of the context of the question. It was the CHANGES in recruiting. Obviously Appert needed more budget; he recruited in the west. My point was that a lot of preliminary looks can be done from the office with the advent of technology, and actually helps the bottom line a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                    Emil was an incredible loss for this program. He is tearing it up at Waterloo
                    IMHO "incredible" is an overstatement. A significant loss is about right. He is having a excellent year at Waterloo, but as an overage player.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Dumb tweet by someone that hasn't paid attention to RPI hockey in 2019. Team has bought in to Smith and they found a goaltender. This game will be a dogfight tomorrow. Mark my words.
                        QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                        2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                        2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                        2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                        https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                        https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                        https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                          I would never take it the wrong way. I love a good conversation. Now if you could, can you give me some instances where the administration gets in the way of recruiting?
                          It may well be a lack of knowledge, but I just don't see it.
                          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                          Benjamin Franklin
                          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                          Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                            Dumb tweet by someone that hasn't paid attention to RPI hockey in 2019. Team has bought in to Smith and they found a goaltender. This game will be a dogfight tomorrow. Mark my words.
                            The team is 5-4-3 since Jamuary 1. We are not the same team that started the season. The tree newcomers have mad a big difference as has Savory. We know that we can compete with anyone, but we still make some pretty bad decisions on the ice, and once we get over that we will be a very good hockey team. Think of it, only 4 losses in 12 games. When was the last time we could say that?
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            Gary Player

Comment

The team is 5-4-3 since Jamuary 1. We are not the same team that started the season. The tree newcomers have mad a big difference as has Savory. We know that we can compete with anyone, but we still make some pretty bad decisions on the ice, and once we get over that we will be a very good hockey team. Think of it, only 4 losses in 12 games. When was the last time we could say that?
                              2015-16, when we did not lose 10 out of 11. And also had a 9 game non-loss streak aside from it.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                2015-16, when we did not lose 10 out of 11. And also had a 9 game non-loss streak aside from it.
                                Thanks, that was a pretty good team, and yet it feels like a very long time ago.
                                Benjamin Franklin
                                Gary Player

Comment

Working...
                                X