Warm thoughts is all we's gots!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warm thoughts is all we's gots!

Welcome to the Arctic Plunge 2019 thread.
    Or is it Polar Vortex?
    The Big Chill?

Whatever you choose to call it (and that includes "#%$*&^%$#!!!!") register your observations and complaints here.

Sorry to our Minnesotans complaining about the weather (and their thread) but this dump into the deep freeze deserved it's own thread.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Re: Warm thoughts is all we's gots!

In Chicago, the coldest temperatures of the year will arrive midweek. After seeing a high around 34 on Monday at O’Hare International Airport, temperatures will drop to near zero before the end of the day, according to the National Weather Service. By Tuesday night, temperatures are expected to take another plunge, to 23 below zero, flirting with Chicago’s coldest temperature ever: minus 27 on Jan. 20, 1985.
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...127-story.html

"-23"? < pffft >

Gimme a call when the number after the "-" is a 3.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

https://weather.com/forecast/nationa...h-late-january

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

"-23"? < pffft >

All I know is I'm not running in this mess. It's hot chocolate time.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Yikes.

I thought the wind chill deviation pulled back in closer to the actual temp when you got down into the insane negatives. Does that mean it's actually going to be near -56 in Fargo, or that they're going to have 100 mph winds?
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I thought the thread said warm tots. I could use warm tots.

On a related note I’m headed to arctic circle next week, so far my winter gear is keeping me warm

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Yikes.

I thought the wind chill deviation pulled back in closer to the actual temp when you got down into the insane negatives. Does that mean it's actually going to be near -56 in Fargo, or that they're going to have 100 mph winds?
              It'll probably be closer to -25, with 20-30 mph winds.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

"-23"? < pffft >

Here in Minnesota they are talking about -30 actual temperature in some places, something not seen since Groundhog day weekend in 1996, a weekend that might be my favorite of all time.

That weekend I drove two Minnesota gopher fans, and a friend of mine, up to Grand Forks to see MN play UND. That was the morning it hit -60 in Tower, MN, actual temperature. The snow on the boots of the MN fans in my back seat never melted on the entire trip to Grand Forks.

MN was on a 19 game unbeaten streak, and I don't think they'd been scored on for 3 games. UND was on a run of 5 straight horrible seasons.

UND 8-2 and 7-5. Those guys never went back with me.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Northern IL is flirting with it's All-Time low temp out of this, so it's not time to fool around....

Odd thing for us is going to be the wind with this... Normally when we get this level of cold, it's due to calm, clear conditions... This time it's just a system right out of the Arctic taking a Southern detour... This is the first time I can recall seeing -45*f or lower wind chill since they redid the scale....
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Yikes.

The colder it is, the less wind you need to make the wind chill even colder.

Fargo should drop down to -35 to -40 Tuesday night, with winds only around 10 mph.
                    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Is my car going to start? Leaving home, I'm not concerned 'cause I have a garage. I just remember a few years ago when the morning temps were in the negative teens a bunch of people that park outside had trouble starting their cars.
                      My worry is that with a high in the negative teens I'll get to work fine, but be unable to start my car for the drive home.
                      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                      7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                        The colder it is, the less wind you need to make the wind chill even colder.

Fargo should drop down to -35 to -40 Tuesday night, with winds only around 10 mph.
                        Ah, it's the opposite of what I thought. That makes sense.

I'm glad to hear Fargo will be unseasonably warm.

My daughter is attending an international teachers' conference at UNI (Cedar Falls) this week. I assume she is going to return freeze dried?
                        Last edited by Kepler; 01-29-2019, 09:54 AM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                          Is my car going to start? Leaving home, I'm not concerned 'cause I have a garage. I just remember a few years ago when the morning temps were in the negative teens a bunch of people that park outside had trouble starting their cars.
                          My worry is that with a high in the negative teens I'll get to work fine, but be unable to start my car for the drive home.
                          1) How's your battery?
                          2) Is your coolant/anti-freeze within standards?
                          3) Good luck!

I changed out my battery last month. The new one is more powerful, but my car can take a long time to start. For some dumb reason, a long crank time from the starter is often required to get good ignition. I'm not wild about my car's engine, it seems vulnerable to me.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Current temperature at Utqiagvik, AK (formerly Barrow) is 0 F.

Current temperature at McMurdo Station, Antarctica is a balmy 16 F.
                            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Hey, it's summer in Antarctica.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                              X