This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45:48: There's Always Barber College

He works more than any other President, Folks.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Coloring books are not work
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Tell that to Florida. If Hispanics had voted for Democrats in the numbers you're suggesting Clinton would be President.
        Cubans are an anomaly and Latinx voters who go R because of abortion are vastly outnumbered by those voting Dem. Settle down, chicken little.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Cubans are an anomaly and Latinx voters who go R because of abortion are vastly outnumbered by those voting Dem. Settle down, chicken little.
          Yes, Chicken Little. The Democrats looked like they had Virginia locked up for life. Possibly flipped all the way. Then their entire leadership in Virginia poured gas over themselves and lit a match.

Never underestimate what can happen in America.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Unfettered global Capitalism will destroy the planet. We're close now. We get closer every day.
              Fixed. This is why we’re seeing the wave of fascism in a number of countries recently including Brazil, Poland, potentially France, and there’s probably a few I’m not remembering. It’s almost like having very little push back and not proposing any real solutions to the systemic problems of capitalism results in fascism, who knew!?
              Last edited by trixR4kids; 02-10-2019, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                As for wage disparity, that is a factor. But add more people with a finite amount of property, that drives up prices, too. Probably faster than wage increases, but don't quote me on that.
                It was actually faster than the wage increases, then the situation in Seattle and San Francisco would have happened a long time ago. Yet it really, really got going when the tech industry brought huge money into the area. Especially recently in Seattle.

You also asked about long commutes- people, in fact, do that. But if there was much better public transport systems available, both low and high wage people could commute a LOT easier. BART is great, in certain directions. But not down to Silicon Valley. And there's nothing significant in Seattle.

On the other hand, New York City has gone through this many times, and they manage to mix high and affordable rent places on a tiny island of Manhattan. The much more extensive subway there has done a lot to help, as have specific rent laws.

Heck, metro New York has always been massively crowded, and with HUGE wages, and somehow they are not nearly as bad as Seattle and San Jose.

And since New York has much less land and many more people, that kind of puts a lid on your argument, quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  I strongly agree with this. Even in Maine there isn’t tons of easily buildable land left. In order to build housing on a mass scale you would need to relax environmental standards which I certainly wouldn’t want to do and I’m sure a lot of others feel the same way. As the planet gets warmer there probably will be a lot of people moving further north which will put more pressure on states like Maine.
                  Do you really live in Maine?

Do you REALLY think there's no place to build? Seriously?

In terms of population vs. land area, Maine is 44th out of 56 (states plus territories). Michigan is 24th, and we have way more than enough space to welcome people to our state.

There's hardly a space problem with Maine. More like a problem with other people than space.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                    Fixed. This is why we’re seeing the wave of fascism in a number of countries recently including Brazil, Poland, potentially France, and there’s probably a few I’m not remembering. It’s almost like having very little push back and not proposing any real solutions to the systemic problems of capitalism results in fascism, who knew!?
                    That's fair. I'll accept the fix. However, the US is either leading or following along and that's not good for anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                      And how global capitalism is leaning so hard on communist labor world wide is rather interesting.

But at the moment, the fact that the capitalist dream of opportunity is totally lost on so many people, one certainly can question that model of doing stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                        I don’t care what color they are, I’m not super excited about the prospect of a US population growing to 400+million. Our cities are already unaffordable and you know people aren’t going to move to rural areas. Sprawl is also destroying the character of many places.

I wish we could come up with an economic model that didn’t require constant growth. For the sake of the planet we should be downsizing our population, but it’s just not possible without economic collapse.
                        The Latinos moving into MN are actually moving into the smaller towns, where the agricultural industries are located. And while they do have some racial blow back from the old townies, most have been welcoming the immigrants because their towns were otherwise dying with the younger generations moving to the Twin Cities.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          It was actually faster than the wage increases, then the situation in Seattle and San Francisco would have happened a long time ago. Yet it really, really got going when the tech industry brought huge money into the area. Especially recently in Seattle.

You also asked about long commutes- people, in fact, do that. But if there was much better public transport systems available, both low and high wage people could commute a LOT easier. BART is great, in certain directions. But not down to Silicon Valley. And there's nothing significant in Seattle.

On the other hand, New York City has gone through this many times, and they manage to mix high and affordable rent places on a tiny island of Manhattan. The much more extensive subway there has done a lot to help, as have specific rent laws.

Heck, metro New York has always been massively crowded, and with HUGE wages, and somehow they are not nearly as bad as Seattle and San Jose.

And since New York has much less land and many more people, that kind of puts a lid on your argument, quite a bit.
                          NYC has also had mass public transit since day 1. Mpls...not so much. Trying to install light rail this late in the game is an issue (as MPLS has seen). I can't even imagine the issues if Mpls tried to start up a subway system. Light rail might eventually get there, but there is no comparison to be had between these two cities.

For residences, it's simply supply and demand. Who wants (or at least can put up with) a long commute? I don't. While I pay a very fair rent, I could pay prob 20-30% less if I decided I wanted a 30-40 mile commute and live in the sticks. I don't want that for a couple reasons:
                          1. I don't want to spend an hour+ on the road going to/from work.
                          2. My last two vehicle choices would have been vastly different, due to MPG. I have a short enough commute where gas prices/MPG are not an issue. FTR, my Wrangler got about 16/gallon in the city, my Camaro gets about 20/gallon in the city. Add to that, maintenance costs driving longer distances since that would shorten a vehicle's life...outside factors do matter.

There are a LOT of factors that go into residence pricing. It's not simply a mortgage/rent cost.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            And there's nothing significant in Seattle.
                            Not true, they've built and are expanding their light rail system significantly. By 2024 Seattle should have most of their suburbs covered by light rail, plus they already have a significant bus system in place.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              Yes, Chicken Little. The Democrats looked like they had Virginia locked up for life. Possibly flipped all the way. Then their entire leadership in Virginia poured gas over themselves and lit a match.

Never underestimate what can happen in America.
                              And the suburbs will still go blue in the next election.

Will someone take Scooby's shoelaces away...
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                The Latinos moving into MN are actually moving into the smaller towns, where the agricultural industries are located. And while they do have some racial blow back from the old townies, most have been welcoming the immigrants because their towns were otherwise dying with the younger generations moving to the Twin Cities.
                                I don't know about Minnesota, but small Wisconsin towns like the one I live in (dairy country) are generally welcoming to Latinos, but they are definitely not dying without them due to migration to big cities. Young people definitely leave for other places, and now that includes other continents, but many are coming in as well. I'm 50 minutes from Madison, far enough so I'd say we are rural. Some but not many locals work there.

But I definitely agree with your basic point that the primary reason small towns in farm country welcome Latinos is economic. The good thing is, though, that once minority groups began to integrate, the reasons for acceptance expand to include personal relationships and experiences.

Comment

Working...
                                X