Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: POTUS 45:48: There's Always Barber College

Re: POTUS 45:48: There's Always Barber College

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    I donít care what color they are, Iím not super excited about the prospect of a US population growing to 400+million. Our cities are already unaffordable and you know people arenít going to move to rural areas. Sprawl is also destroying the character of many places.

I wish we could come up with an economic model that didnít require constant growth. For the sake of the planet we should be downsizing our population, but itís just not possible without economic collapse.
    One in, one out, based on IQ tests. Say hello to a Latinx South. Bout time we had some productive people there.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Just a boring user.

I donít care what color they are, Iím not super excited about the prospect of a US population growing to 400+million. Our cities are already unaffordable and you know people arenít going to move to rural areas. Sprawl is also destroying the character of many places.

I wish we could come up with an economic model that didnít require constant growth. For the sake of the planet we should be downsizing our population, but itís just not possible without economic collapse.
    Why?

Where in the country do we really have an honest overcrowding issue?

The affordability of cities is far more about the wage disparity between workers, not over crowding.

And most sprawl happens where there is nothing, so there's no character to ruin. Unless you have firm examples of small towns being taken down so that strip malls can be put in. Around here, the smaller towns that are in Metro Detroit are getting some injections due to people moving to the area, and buying homes on the fringes on those towns.

If you are talking about the cultural character, then you totally have forgotten that each of those towns has their character built 100% by immigrants. Small German or English or Italian or Polish or Swedish or Finnish towns were all established via immigrants. And none of them stretch back much more than 100 years- hardly old history. So now they have shifted from native American to French/British/Spanish (depending on where in the country) to some other country and now again to another group. Hardly new nor a big deal.

Lastly- before complaining about the overcrowding of 42m new people, how about look into where they go. Which is largely rural farm areas, which have been consistently dropping in population, as the people who are FROM there move away.

\../ \../
    Patiently awaiting changes I know are not coming.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

42 million new taxpayers? Oh, no.
    This would be terrible unless illegal immigrants pay more in taxes than they take in government services... What was that? Oh, they DO pay more in taxes than they receive in services? Wow, imagine that.

\../ \../

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post

The affordability of cities is far more about the wage disparity between workers, not over crowding.
    This is true. There is a little old school supply and demand that impacts the cost of housing in urban areas, but it is mostly about the horrible growth in wage disparity going on over the last 40 years. I don't know what is going to destroy our world first, the growth in greenhouse gases or the growth in wage disparity. One or the other surely will. Sad because neither is necessary for there to be either economic growth or rich people.

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    This is true. There is a little old school supply and demand that impacts the cost of housing in urban areas, but it is mostly about the horrible growth in wage disparity going on over the last 40 years. I don't know what is going to destroy our world first, the growth in greenhouse gases or the growth in wage disparity. One or the other surely will. Sad because neither is necessary for there to be either economic growth or rich people.
    Unfettered Capitalism in the United States will destroy the planet. We're close now. We get closer every day.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

By the way, Alan Dershowitz's is on ABC This Week again.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Why?

Where in the country do we really have an honest overcrowding issue?

And most sprawl happens where there is nothing, so there's no character to ruin. Unless you have firm examples of small towns being taken down so that strip malls can be put in. Around here, the smaller towns that are in Metro Detroit are getting some injections due to people moving to the area, and buying homes on the fringes on those towns.

If you are talking about the cultural character, then you totally have forgotten that each of those towns has their character built 100% by immigrants. Small German or English or Italian or Polish or Swedish or Finnish towns were all established via immigrants. And none of them stretch back much more than 100 years- hardly old history. So now they have shifted from native American to French/British/Spanish (depending on where in the country) to some other country and now again to another group. Hardly new nor a big deal.

Lastly- before complaining about the overcrowding of 42m new people, how about look into where they go. Which is largely rural farm areas, which have been consistently dropping in population, as the people who are FROM there move away.
    As for wage disparity, that is a factor. But add more people with a finite amount of property, that drives up prices, too. Probably faster than wage increases, but don't quote me on that.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    As for wage disparity, that is a factor. But add more people with a finite amount of property, that drives up prices, too. Probably faster than wage increases, but don't quote me on that.
    bs

bs
    Well, that clears it up.

Care to expand on that?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

\../ \../

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Of course this is true, extended to absurdity. I can't fit 330 people in my living room. But the sheer amount of livable space in this country means we are so far away from true "overcrowding" it is not a relevant point to bring up and doesn't really have anything to do with the price of housing. Do we have space for all 7 billion people on the planet to live in the USA? maybe not,, but we only have 1/21 of that in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    Of course this is true, extended to absurdity. I can't fit 330 people in my living room. But the sheer amount of livable space in this country means we are so far away from true "overcrowding" it is not a relevant point to bring up and doesn't really have anything to do with the price of housing. Do we have space for all 7 billion people on the planet to live in the USA? maybe not,, but we only have 1/21 of that in 2019.
    But, how many people are willing to live on the outskirts of a city/town, with a long commute, etc?

I strongly agree with this. Even in Maine there isnít tons of easily buildable land left. In order to build housing on a mass scale you would need to relax environmental standards which I certainly wouldnít want to do and Iím sure a lot of others feel the same way. As the planet gets warmer there probably will be a lot of people moving further north which will put more pressure on states like Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    I strongly agree with this. Even in Maine there isnít tons of easily buildable land left. In order to build housing on a mass scale you would need to relax environmental standards which I certainly wouldnít want to do and Iím sure a lot of others feel the same way. As the planet gets warmer there probably will be a lot of people moving further north which will put more pressure on states like Maine.
    Yes, keep everyone out and spend all the money we have and run up deficits and debt. All during the lowest unemployment ever AND during economic stability and not recession.

Ayn Rand would be so ****ing proud of you.

Technologieberater FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

42 million new Democratic voters
    Fixed.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Fixed.
    Tell that to Florida. If Hispanics had voted for Democrats in the numbers you're suggesting Clinton would be President.

He works more than any other President, Folks.

Lucia Apologist

Coloring books are not work

Technologieberater FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Tell that to Florida. If Hispanics had voted for Democrats in the numbers you're suggesting Clinton would be President.
    Cubans are an anomaly and Latinx voters who go R because of abortion are vastly outnumbered by those voting Dem. Settle down, chicken little.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Cubans are an anomaly and Latinx voters who go R because of abortion are vastly outnumbered by those voting Dem. Settle down, chicken little.
    Yes, Chicken Little. The Democrats looked like they had Virginia locked up for life. Possibly flipped all the way. Then their entire leadership in Virginia poured gas over themselves and lit a match.

Never underestimate what can happen in America.

Thread Information