Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: POTUS 45:48: There's Always Barber College

Re: POTUS 45:48: There's Always Barber College

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    This has got to be one of the most insane things Iíve read in awhile: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/10/the-...n-america.html

How are people who are skint supposed to all of a sudden start saving $650 a month for retirement?
    I got a simple answer to that. Take the 23 trillion back.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

skint
    Huh. New word for the day. Thank you.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Scooby buy a bunker already and hunker down. Just remember to set the lights so there are no shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I got a simple answer to that. Take the 23 trillion back.
    For if you hide the crown
    Even in your hearts, there will he rake for it
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Internet Nutcase

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Yes, there are strawberries grown in the desert, but, again, much of that is grown in the central valley, and northern watered.
    most strawberries are grown along the coast in Monterey and Ventura County, but you are right that area is not irrigated by Colorado river water. Strawberries were a bad example. But it is a fact that if you eat lettuce in the winter, you're likely eating something that was grown in the desert with Colorado River water. Southern California is allocated 4.40 million acre feed of Colorado river water, the largest share of any state and it is used mostly for irrigation. The allocations were based on an unrealistic flow rate too, and now the Colorado River runs dry before it reaches the ocean. It's a $4B industry growing things like lettuce, alfalfa, and cotton somewhere where farming on that scale makes little sense.

Finally, here in Michigan, we get strawberries from Florida. Why are you getting them from California?
    It's unlikely you get them from Florida year round. It's seasonal. Florida produces most of their strawberries in winter. California produces them nearly year round and has 4x the acreage. 90% of U.S. strawberries are grown in California.
    depending on time of year, its not uncommon to see them from California (most common), Florida, or Mexico

That seems pretty stupid.
    you might be stupid if you think all the strawberries consumed in Michigan come from Florida

and frankly, if you are not concerned about the global population and it's affect on our planet, you are definitely stupid or in denial
    Last edited by BassAle; 02-11-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Scooby buy a bunker already and hunker down. Just remember to set the lights so there are no shadows.
    I do not have the finances or the resources to do what I'd like to do. So, no. I will go to my grave knowing that I left the planet in worse shape for my kids and that there was nothing I could really do about it.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

I do not have the finances or the resources to do what I'd like to do. So, no. I will go to my grave knowing that I left the planet in worse shape for my kids and that there was nothing I could really do about it.
    So you've got that going for you. Which is nice.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    So you've got that going for you. Which is nice.
    They know it too. They also know that my generation was handcuffed by the boomers. It's the only solace I have.

Just a boring user.

What does that have to do with immigration?

And the counter to that is to watch Biggest Little Farm. Where a whole ecosystem is restarted based on farming techniques- water, insects, animals, etc.

Internet Nutcase

What does that have to do with immigration?
    I think his point is we are ****ing up the environment with our agricultural practices
    Unless we change our ways of producing food, insects as a whole will go down the path of extinction in a few decades,
    with a lower global population, we could sustain ourselves with lower yield more environmentally sustainable farming practices

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    I think his point is we are ****ing up the environment with our agricultural practices

with a lower global population, we could sustain ourselves with lower yield more environmentally sustainable farming practices
    To be fair to Alfa it was a very complicated point.

Just a boring user.

most strawberries are grown along the coast in Monterey and Ventura County, but you are right that area is not irrigated by Colorado river water. Strawberries were a bad example. But it is a fact that if you eat lettuce in the winter, you're likely eating something that was grown in the desert with Colorado River water. Southern California is allocated 4.40 million acre feed of Colorado river water, the largest share of any state and it is used mostly for irrigation. The allocations were based on an unrealistic flow rate too, and now the Colorado River runs dry before it reaches the ocean. It's a $4B industry growing things like lettuce, alfalfa, and cotton somewhere where farming on that scale makes little sense.

It's unlikely you get them from Florida year round. It's seasonal. Florida produces most of their strawberries in winter. California produces them nearly year round and has 4x the acreage. 90% of U.S. strawberries are grown in California.
    depending on time of year, its not uncommon to see them from California (most common), Florida, or Mexico

you might be stupid if you think all the strawberries consumed in Michigan come from Florida

and frankly, if you are not concerned about the global population and it's affect on our planet, you are definitely stupid or in denial
    Re- Lettuce- again, look it up. MOST of the acreage that grows lettuce in California is fed by northern water. Some is desert growing, I don't dispute that. But most of it is in the central valley. Just like most of California ag is.

As for the stupid part- I think it's stupid that Maine gets strawberries from California when Michigan gets non-seasonal strawberries from Florida. Seasonal berries are from in state.

And for global population- I'm concerned, but I'm also seeing the data that 1) areas that have improved economies are declining in births - the EU is really bad on this, but right now, the US birth rate would have us at a declining population. And as economies improve, there's also a decline in birth rate; 2) China is staring a HUGE population problem right down the barrel- and not growth, but HUGE decline. ~50 years of "one child" has had a huge effect- on birth rate (as intended) but also on male-female. If you go an look at the future population in China, it's heavily biased toward the male number- which has HUGE implications if each one of those males can not find a mate. Will other countries step in and send females to China? Dunno.

The data pretty much shows that there will be a peak in world population, and it may happen in my lifetime.

Just a boring user.

No ****. Our environment also suffers because we want to build stuff, pull stuff out of the ground, etc- all to make a buck. I'm sure if you go look it up, the need to make a buck has harmed the environment a lot more than population has.

That's not a reason to put a limit on immigration. The system we have in the US, faults and all, is capable of feeding a lot more than our population- it's why one of our leading export items is food. So adding +40M people is more than possible with current farming practices. If we somehow manage to fix that, we can feed even more.

Internet Nutcase

As for the stupid part- I think it's stupid that Maine gets strawberries from California when Michigan gets non-seasonal strawberries from Florida. Seasonal berries are from in state.
    Maine has a native strawberry season, but its a few weeks long. I'm positive Michigan gets a fair amount of non-seasonal strawberries from California.

Internet Nutcase

No ****. Our environment also suffers because we want to build stuff, pull stuff out of the ground, etc- all to make a buck. I'm sure if you go look it up, the need to make a buck has harmed the environment a lot more than population has.

That's not a reason to put a limit on immigration. The system we have in the US, faults and all, is capable of feeding a lot more than our population- it's why one of our leading export items is food. So adding +40M people is more than possible with current farming practices. If we somehow manage to fix that, we can feed even more.
    larger population = more people consuming stuff = more resource extraction and pollution. I'm not sure why you're so adamant that human population growth does not have a negative impact on the environment.

I NEVER said we need to put a limit on immigration. In fact, I've been supportive of a pretty open immigration policy. What I have said is that an economic model that requires constant population growth is unsustainable.

This was tweeted about 2 minutes after Joe on Morning Joe called him the laziest President that ever was. So, Trump was watching Morning Joe this morning.

Internet Nutcase

Re- Lettuce- again, look it up. MOST of the acreage that grows lettuce in California is fed by northern water. Some is desert growing, I don't dispute that.
    winter lettuce mostly comes from the desert. Most winter lettuce in California is grown in Imperial County. The rest of the year Monterey county is the largest producer. If you're eating lettuce in winter, you're contributing to the fact that the Colorado River no longer flows into the ocean, since that lettuce you're eating is likely from California or Arizona and is like 95% Colorado River by weight.

The data pretty much shows that there will be a peak in world population, and it may happen in my lifetime.
    that's a good thing

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

This was tweeted about 2 minutes after Joe on Morning Joe called him the laziest President that ever was. So, Trump was watching Morning Joe this morning.
    Someone's awful defensive about his work schedule being released to the world. Or should I say, his lack of work schedule.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    You would think the guy who cancelled a WWI cemetery visit because of rain would not draw attention to other people being able to stand up to precipitation.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Thread Information