This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Not true, they've built and are expanding their light rail system significantly. By 2024 Seattle should have most of their suburbs covered by light rail, plus they already have a significant bus system in place.
    Yeah Seattle mass transit rocks. Made commuting when I lived there a breeze.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      Do you really live in Maine?

Do you REALLY think there's no place to build? Seriously?

In terms of population vs. land area, Maine is 44th out of 56 (states plus territories). Michigan is 24th, and we have way more than enough space to welcome people to our state.

There's hardly a space problem with Maine. More like a problem with other people than space.
      I really do, and I’m really from here as well. I unfortunately had to spend some time away(school and work), but those days are now behind me.

If you re-read my post the issue isn’t that we don’t have land, we have millions of acres of it, the issue is that right now there isn’t a lot of land that is easily buildable. Now if you’re willing to bulldoze woodlands and fill in wetlands there can be unlimited places to build, but that carries a heavy price both financially and environmentally. Not to mention our infrastructure would have to be upgraded.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: POTUS 45:48: There's Always Barber College

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Yeah Seattle mass transit rocks. Made commuting when I lived there a breeze.
        "So. It's a train."
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

"Public transportation? You mean I have to ride next to people? Every day? Ewwwww..."

-70% of white Americans

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            You mean I have to ride next to people? Every day? Ewwwww..."
            Well, have you met them?

I don't even like sitting next to people on the Metro orange line, and they all bathe.
            Last edited by Kepler; 02-10-2019, 04:17 PM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                I really do, and I’m really from here as well. I unfortunately had to spend some time away(school and work), but those days are now behind me.

If you re-read my post the issue isn’t that we don’t have land, we have millions of acres of it, the issue is that right now there isn’t a lot of land that is easily buildable. Now if you’re willing to bulldoze woodlands and fill in wetlands there can be unlimited places to build, but that carries a heavy price both financially and environmentally. Not to mention our infrastructure would have to be upgraded.
                No, that's an excuse to be scared of people taking over your position.

Nobody lives in Maine, there's plenty of space. Good for the compounds people like you think you need. And if you look up your own statistics, you will see that nobody is moving to Maine, too.

So you've managed to scare off migrants.
                Last edited by alfablue; 02-10-2019, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                  Hi, my name is Donald Trump and I am a ****ing moron.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Honestly, the more he keeps up the stupid Tweets, the better. He will tank the Dem hopefuls who deserve to be tanked (Booker, Warren), while looking like a fool to all but the 35% who will vote for him no matter what.

Comment

Nobody lives in Maine, there's plenty of space. Good for the compounds people like you think you need. And if you look up your own statistics, you will see that nobody is moving to Maine, too.

I’d like to see more young, hard working people move to the state, no matter what their race. It’s not a cheap place to live though and if we had a large influx housing would be hard to add quickly.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        "So. It's a train."
                        "if we offer them great coffee..."
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The affordability of cities is far more about the wage disparity between workers, not over crowding.
                          I disagree. It’s largely demand. More and more people are moving into cities because that’s where the jobs are. That’s driving up prices.

If they start paying everyobe that works in cities enough to comfortably afford a 1-2 million dollar home/condo then even more people will want to move to those cities.

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

And most sprawl happens where there is nothing, so there's no character to ruin.
                          That “nothing” is something. Read some Edward Abby

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

Unless you have firm examples of small towns being taken down so that strip malls can be put in.

If you are talking about the cultural character,
                          I don’t give a **** about cultural character. Drive around places like Denver, Salt Lake City, Seattle, San Jose, Phoenix

It’s a sea of cookie cutter cul de sacs, a depleted water table, and unsustainable growth.

I care about shrinking wilderness and the health of the environment. The East Coast is a lost cause. Let’s not ruin the west any more than it is.
                          Last edited by BassAle; 02-10-2019, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Southern Maine is a poster child for sprawl and poor land-use choices (rural towns around Portland requiring 4 acre house lots to prevent “suburbanization).

I’m in favor of immigrants moving to Maine and higher density development here. (Both Portland and Lewiston have sizable immigrant communities, relative to their overall size, that are probably responsible for their only real growth over the last decade)

I’m still not excited about the inevitable 400M+ US population, most of whom are not going to be living in rural areas that currently have excess housing stock. It’s going to fuel massive new development , pushing further into the wilderness around our western cities.

Originally posted by Edward Abby
                            Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread. A civilization which destroys what little remains of the wild, the spare, the original, is cutting itself off from its origins and betraying the principle of civilization itself.
                            Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell.
                            The ugliest thing in America is greed, the lust for power and domination, the lunatic ideology of perpetual Growth - with a capital G. 'Progress' in our nation has for too long been confused with 'Growth'; I see the two as different, almost incompatible, since progress means, or should mean, change for the better - toward social justice, a livable and open world, equal opportunity and affirmative action for all forms of life. And I mean all forms, not merely the human. The grizzly, the wolf, the rattlesnake, the condor, the coyote, the crocodile, whatever, each and every species has as much right to be here as we do.
                            Last edited by BassAle; 02-10-2019, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                              I’m still not excited about the inevitable 400M+ US population, most of whom are not going to be living in rural areas.
                              If history's a guide, they won't be adding to the current largest cities, either. NYC proper broke 9M about 1910 and hasn't budged since. Cities become overwhelming after a certain point. Adding another 50M to 350M, which is just a 14% increase BTW, will probably mean a bunch of new cities of 1-1.5M. That's what the population increase since 1950 has meant. So, cities like Charlotte, Denver, Nashville, OKC, Vegas, Albuquerque and Tucson that are now around 750k will instead be 1-1.25M. Big whup.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                If history's a guide, they won't be adding to the current largest cities, either. NYC proper broke 9M about 1910 and hasn't budged since. Cities become overwhelming after a certain point. Adding another 50M to 350M, which is just a 14% increase BTW, will probably mean a bunch of new cities of 1-1.5M. That's what the population increase since 1950 has meant. So, cities like Charlotte, Denver, Nashville, OKC, Vegas, Albuquerque and Tucson that are now around 750k will instead be 1-1.25M. Big whup.
                                It will be a big whup when Denver, Vegas, Albuquerque, and Tucson run out of water. These places have already changed, many people living there would say for the worse.

Lowering the global population is the best thing we could do for the planet
                                Last edited by BassAle; 02-10-2019, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X