X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45:48: There's Always Barber College

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Lotta truth in this one.
    Reminds me of the day I shook President Obama's hand and told him that good regulations are really good for jobs. I have one of those. As do probably a thousand or more in the company I work in.

The only ones who benefit by low regulations are the corporations and shareholders. They don't need highly skilled labor to solve problems. Even better after deregulation, as they can keep the price of the product high, and up profits after dropping the highly skilled labor.

But the net economy looses- as the de-regulation will harm someone on some way, and the loss of high skilled jobs lowers the overall economic impact of a business on the overall economy.

Since corporations and shareholders have the most influence, we see what is happening.

Comment

Lotta truth in this one.
      Has there ever been a president more obsessed with a predecessor than trump has been with Obama? Hell, he's even obsessed sometimes with Obama's predecessor.

I'm a middle-aged, sufficiently educated and sort of professional white guy. the trump presidency has not had the same affect on me as it has had on millions of others, but sadly it has had one huge effect. I find myself becoming wholly intolerant anymore of people who still support this guy in any form or fashion. Short of wholesale condemnation of him, I'm just putting you in with the bigots and other irredeemable deplorables of the world and I want nothing to do with you. THAT'S the way trump is REALLY changing America. Yes, it was happening before 2016, and both sides of the political spectrum were guilty of it to some extent, but it has accelerated at a pace today that I find dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
        Has there ever been a president more obsessed with a predecessor than trump has been with Obama? Hell, he's even obsessed sometimes with Obama's predecessor.

I'm a middle-aged, sufficiently educated and sort of professional white guy. the trump presidency has not had the same affect on me as it has had on millions of others, but sadly it has had one huge effect. I find myself becoming wholly intolerant anymore of people who still support this guy in any form or fashion. Short of wholesale condemnation of him, I'm just putting you in with the bigots and other irredeemable deplorables of the world and I want nothing to do with you. THAT'S the way trump is REALLY changing America. Yes, it was happening before 2016, and both sides of the political spectrum were guilty of it to some extent, but it has accelerated at a pace today that I find dangerous.
        Me, too. And I have no patience for anyone claiming that a MAGA hat doesn't mean anything. There are a lot more deplorables out there than we all thought. And the interesting thing are the deplorables that are in the firing line of what the while male MAGA people want.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          Me, too. And I have no patience for anyone claiming that a MAGA hat doesn't mean anything. There are a lot more deplorables out there than we all thought. And the interesting thing are the deplorables that are in the firing line of what the while male MAGA people want.
          I'm just so crushed that we still haven't learned our lesson. This crap started in 1980 and they did it again. My entire career the crap that Republicans have done to the Government and the Economy has been criminal yet no one goes to jail. And every day there is a threat against my senior safety net from some Republican. 23 Trillion dollars stolen is going to be very difficult for the Democrats to correct if they ever have enough power to actually be able to accomplish something.

Going to do my taxes today. People are whining because they're not getting refunds anymore but it appears a lot of that is because withholding was changed. I'm going to ask the real question. Did I actually get a tax cut? I don't think I did. And, all the money went to stock buybacks anyway. Which does NOTHING for the US economy.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

They have had the power to do it...they just don't have the "game". They are too worried about offending someone...
            Last edited by Handyman; 02-09-2019, 09:35 AM.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              They have had the power to do it...they just don't have the "game". They are too worried about not offending someone...
              Or taxing them and their kind
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I'm just so crushed that we still haven't learned our lesson. This crap started in 1980 and they did it again. My entire career the crap that Republicans have done to the Government and the Economy has been criminal yet no one goes to jail. And every day there is a threat against my senior safety net from some Republican. 23 Trillion dollars stolen is going to be very difficult for the Democrats to correct if they ever have enough power to actually be able to accomplish something.

Going to do my taxes today. People are whining because they're not getting refunds anymore but it appears a lot of that is because withholding was changed. I'm going to ask the real question. Did I actually get a tax cut? I don't think I did. And, all the money went to stock buybacks anyway. Which does NOTHING for the US economy.
                There are finally politicians who are bringing this up in a manner that people understand. And it's likely that they can handle the swarm of BS that is coming to them (Sanders has dealt with it, that's for sure). IMHO, AOC has a better demeanor than Sanders, so it will be easier for people to get get behind her and the overall message.

I need to get with some PhD economists here at UM- and have them study some of the markets. I'm in the auto industry, and there's currently a big shift away from cars and into trucks. Which many people are not happy about (including me, since I want a car). Most attribute this to gas prices.

what I'm wondering is if the stagnation of wages have ended the market for the middle class for cars. OEM's can do everything they can to make that market profitable, but if you look closely at the actual cost of the cars, they have largely stagnated over the last 30 years (it's really shocking to look at the numbers). And yet, people who used to buy them are not anymore. On the flip side, you see an expansion of high end bigger vehicles.

To me, this is more evidence that however good the economy seems, it's not for the people who actually do the work- more and more, they are working just to get along. Funny how we've learned to complain that union workers had second homes, when the reality of that is they are doing a great job spreading their money around the economy- and that's a great thing. That's gone.

The wealthy just don't spend money relative to their income that everyone else does. And that is harmful to the economy. Think about this- if there's a $1B stimulus package, that's really helpful to a lot of people. There are a large number of billionaires who can spend $1B on stimulus and not even notice it. Instead, that money is just not being used.

The real answer for the 70% marginal tax at $10M is that it will keep money flowing through the economy, letting people who NEED to increase their wealth the ability to do that, and be able to spend it during retirement. Vs. letting people who largely don't spend what they have (as it's impossible to do that) lock up large parts of the economy.

Few explain that, but I've seen more who have.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  The real answer for the 70% marginal tax at $10M is that it will keep money flowing through the economy, letting people who NEED to increase their wealth the ability to do that, and be able to spend it during retirement. Vs. letting people who largely don't spend what they have (as it's impossible to do that) lock up large parts of the economy.

Few explain that, but I've seen more who have.
                  Higher marginal taxes on the extremely wealthy is really a simple and highly effective way to grow our economy and subsequently, the middle class. It really is that simple. One of the biggest problems I have with voters and citizens of this country is they get too much backwards. They think there are simple answers to complicated situations -- like relationships between all the various players in the middle east and Asia -- and don't realize how simple the answers actually are to other problems that beset us. It takes a highly intelligent, highly ethical, highly schooled student of history to understand and find solutions to what ails the world when it comes to some things, but we can fix a myriad of economic problems in this country by simply raising taxes on the extremely wealthy of our nation. Of course along with that we do need a well reasoned and fair distribution of that money, but there are endless fine examples: Build more schools, more libraries, fix more roads, bridges and airports, fund more research into disease, subsidize green energy or maybe find a way finally to give all Americans actual access to effective healthcare. Take your pick. Any one of those will do far more to stimulate our economy and move more people into the middle class than every tax cut given to the extremely wealthy in the last 40 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                    Higher marginal taxes on the extremely wealthy is really a simple and highly effective way to grow our economy and subsequently, the middle class. It really is that simple..... but we can fix a myriad of economic problems in this country by simply raising taxes on the extremely wealthy of our nation....
                    Go on, please.....
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

The whole Bezos/Pecker thing is amazing in that, as pointed out on Bill Maher, they f-cked up their own settlement with Mueller, Manafort-style, by blackmailing Bezos.

It also reveals another "hiding in plain sight" truth about our politics. Just as trolls farm bot political Comments on social media manipulated the 2016 election, the same people figured out that for every liberal who gets their news from the NYT there's a conservative who gets their news from the National Enquirer.

All that dumb sh-t that actually creates the culture of the boobocracy -- grocery store tabloids, pro wrestling, Hate Radio -- determines their political ideas. The RNC holds a convention every day through those media. We don't notice it for the same reason we don't know what goes on inside a nursery school, but it's the main political pressure point in this country.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I got a substantial refund, but I'm single, claim zero, and I don't have anything to itemize, so I always overpay. Michigan also ends up owing me money ever since I started traveling for work and have deducted the taxes paid to other states.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          I got a substantial refund, but I'm single, claim zero, and I don't have anything to itemize, so I always overpay. Michigan also ends up owing me money ever since I started traveling for work and have deducted the taxes paid to other states.
                          Just did my taxes this morning, and am in pretty much the same situation as you. I am getting back about what I expected, in taxes and renter's credit. A little more than last year, because I made more, of course.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            All that dumb sh-t that actually creates the culture of the boobocracy -- grocery store tabloids, pro wrestling, Hate Radio -- determines their political ideas. The RNC holds a convention every day through those media. We don't notice it for the same reason we don't know what goes on inside a nursery school, but it's the main political pressure point in this country.
                            I know it might surprise you but most fans of pro wrestling are actually fairly liberal.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              I know it might surprise you but most fans of pro wrestling are actually fairly liberal.
                              Pro wrestling does get a bad rap. I'm not into it anymore, but the people who never got into it either won't recognize it for what it is, or just don't know what it really is: a drama with some action in it. That's all it really is.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                                Pro wrestling does get a bad rap. I'm not into it anymore, but the people who never got into it either won't recognize it for what it is, or just don't know what it really is: a drama with some action in it. That's all it really is.
                                I think pro wrestling gets a bad rap because of the McMahons, who definitely are Trump Republicans. But pro wrestling has a lot of minority fans and international fans and wrestlers. Heck, the WWE Champion right now is Daniel Bryan with a full on vegan, ecowarrior gimmick (Complete with a hemp and naturally fallen wood belt) who’s supposed to be heel but still gets cheered.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X