X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: One Person's Trash...

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Emmy nominations out. Love seeing Schitts Creek up for 3 big ones. Veep and barry and GoT did well but GoT is up for more than I thought they deserved
    Along with every other Awards show, the hype garners a few extra noms/etc. Expected. Note: I am not ripping GoT. This is just the way things work.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
      Along with every other Awards show, the hype garners a few extra noms/etc. Expected. Note: I am not ripping GoT. This is just the way things work.
      This. And to be fair GoT is probably up for a lot of those special effects / costume / techie awards which they very much do deserve. Really the only thing that sucked in the final season was the writing.

Final seasons also tend to be de facto "lifetime achievement" awards. They probably shouldn't be but that's part of the psychology of the voters. The Awards only exist to promote the medium and pump more money out of customers and a hype-ridden send off is an excellent way to do it. My God the awards that will be showered on Infinity War by the industry. It's a way for the people in the biz to congratulate themselves.
      Last edited by Kepler; 07-17-2019, 08:05 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Final seasons also tend to be de facto "lifetime achievement" awards.
        Bazinga!

Comment

2 episodes so far of Bring the Funny and woof! It's no Last Comic Standing that's for sure.

Also I saw the I'm Dying Up Here was cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            2 episodes so far of Bring the Funny and woof! It's no Last Comic Standing that's for sure.

Also I saw the I'm Dying Up Here was cancelled.
            As it should have been. The idea is great but it was rather dour. I heard a comic (cant remember who) talk about it and while he loved a lot of it he said the problem with the show was it neglects to show any of the joy of being a comic at that time. They focus on all of the bad and zero of the good and that just ruins it.

Seeing as Jim Carrey usually speaks rather fondly of his time at The Comedy Store (which is what the show is based on) it seems odd that he left that out when creating the show.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              As it should have been. The idea is great but it was rather dour. I heard a comic (cant remember who) talk about it and while he loved a lot of it he said the problem with the show was it neglects to show any of the joy of being a comic at that time. They focus on all of the bad and zero of the good and that just ruins it.

Seeing as Jim Carrey usually speaks rather fondly of his time at The Comedy Store (which is what the show is based on) it seems odd that he left that out when creating the show.
              Remember that a lot of comics are miserable people so I didn't find the tone at all surprising, and if you've seen any interviews with Carrey the past several years he's imho a bit cuckoo. This wouldn't be the first show that never really rose to that "happy place". Remember Thirtystomething? The main characters were almost always melancholy and there's probably been more recent examples of similar shows that had a longer run than 2 seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                Remember that a lot of comics are miserable people so I didn't find the tone at all surprising, and if you've seen any interviews with Carrey the past several years he's imho a bit cuckoo. This wouldn't be the first show that never really rose to that "happy place". Remember Thirtystomething? The main characters were almost always melancholy and there's probably been more recent examples of similar shows that had a longer run than 2 seasons.
                Right but Thirtysomething wasnt about comedy. And this show wasnt sold on the idea of being a adult melodrama especially when I heard Carrey talk about it. He called it a love letter the days of the Old Comedy Store. This is nothing of the sort...

Stand up comedians arent always downers, and their life doesnt always suck. That era especially was a breeding ground of some of the most famous comedians of all time. I am not saying the show should be wacky and non-stop laughter but almost no one on the show really seemed to like being a comedian or working at Goldy's. Where is the Robin Williams or the Jay Leno style character? When you hear people talk about working for Mitzy Shore they thought she was a nutbar and could be vindictive but almost all of them speak of her highly and with respect/love, even the ones who went on strike. They look back at their time at the Store as great...not as some slog from one major catastrophe to another. The show should have balanced that better and would have been more liked if they had done so.

Parts of the show were great...but no one is going to go out of their to watch the show if the characters are lucky to have one moment of joy per season. Christ a dude ends up on Carson at the end of season 1 and spends all of season 2 ticked off at the world making little money and organizing a strike. It is just ridiculous and that is why people didnt latch on.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Right but Thirtysomething wasnt about comedy. And this show wasnt sold on the idea of being a adult melodrama especially when I heard Carrey talk about it. He called it a love letter the days of the Old Comedy Store. This is nothing of the sort...

Stand up comedians arent always downers, and their life doesnt always suck. That era especially was a breeding ground of some of the most famous comedians of all time. I am not saying the show should be wacky and non-stop laughter but almost no one on the show really seemed to like being a comedian or working at Goldy's. Where is the Robin Williams or the Jay Leno style character? When you hear people talk about working for Mitzy Shore they thought she was a nutbar and could be vindictive but almost all of them speak of her highly and with respect/love, even the ones who went on strike. They look back at their time at the Store as great...not as some slog from one major catastrophe to another. The show should have balanced that better and would have been more liked if they had done so.

Parts of the show were great...but no one is going to go out of their to watch the show if the characters are lucky to have one moment of joy per season. Christ a dude ends up on Carson at the end of season 1 and spends all of season 2 ticked off at the world making little money and organizing a strike. It is just ridiculous and that is why people didnt latch on.
                  I don't disagree with you, but I found it compelling enough that I would have watched another season but clearly I was in the minority which is why it was cancelled I guess.

Comment

I watched every episode, and I REALLY wanted to love it...I just never did. I think if they had spread out the drama over 4 seasons instead of two it would have worked better.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

So the third and final season of Divorce on hbo is pretty good. Thomas Hayden church is a national treasure

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        The Neverending Story
                        Finally finished it up. The wife definitely marked out at that moment. It was a close call which reactions to watch, hers or the other characters.

Season 1 is still the best, I think it's a closer call between 2 and 3 for me as far as which is better than it is for most of you. I liked season 2 a lot, and the X-Men episode wasn't that bad, just different. I suppose the fact that season 3 didn't have any notable weak links gives it the lead, but if season 1 was an A+, 2 and 3 are both sinus As.

Season 2 gave us Max and Bob, this season gave us Robin and Alexei. And yeah, Steve is a far better character than he has any right to be.
                        Last edited by unofan; 07-19-2019, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          So the third and final season of Divorce on hbo is pretty good. Thomas Hayden church is a national treasure
                          I like that show as well. The last episode was hilarious.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I will probably watch Divorce once it ends. It intrigued me when I first saw the previews but I never felt compelled to watch it but it is getting good praise from people I trust.

I finally finished the current season of Billions...that show is just bananas and I love it
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I'm sure I'm late to the party on this one, but I recently started watching Letterkenny on Hulu and it is amazing. Wondrous, even.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                I like that show as well. The last episode was hilarious.
                                It was phenomena. Amy Sedaris kills it

Comment

Working...
                                X