X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: One Person's Trash...

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    Test knowledge of the origin of the word, oral or written. SOMEthing. They can come up with a tiebreaker. I'm guessing laziness of the organizers.
    There is the Round 1 vocab test, but that's meant to weed out from 600-ish down to 50. You'd need a second test (which they did do at one point - they got rid of it when they did the format change to allow self-sponsorship as I mentioned below.)

I would think this gets fixed next year somehow. The self-sponsorship is gonna get a hard, hard look.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
      There is the Round 1 vocab test, but that's meant to weed out from 600-ish down to 50. You'd need a second test (which they did do at one point - they got rid of it when they did the format change to allow self-sponsorship as I mentioned below.)

I would think this gets fixed next year somehow. The self-sponsorship is gonna get a hard, hard look.
      Now I wanna watch the movie "Bad Words" again. Underrated raunchy comedy.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Just watched season two of The Rain on Netflix. I really enjoy the show but it's depressing as hell. You think GoT killed off main characters? The Red Wedding has nothing on this.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          Just watched season two of The Rain on Netflix. I really enjoy the show but it's depressing as hell. You think GoT killed off main characters? The Red Wedding has nothing on this.
          The rain has a second season? Wow.

I am pumped for Dark season two next month.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
            The rain has a second season? Wow.

I am pumped for Dark season two next month.
            It sets up a third season with lots of unanswered questions and plot points that need resolving. Netflix should announce the show's fate in June or July.

Comment

From what I'm reading online, we might want to watch Jeopardy tonight. We'll see...
              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                From what I'm reading online, we might want to watch Jeopardy tonight. We'll see...
                The ratings tonight will be off the charts.

Also: Tonight is the finale of the "Chernobyl" miniseries on HBO. I have deliberately avoided researching it on YouTube, Wikipedia etc so I won't be spoiled even though it is real history. It was all behind the Iron Curtain so we didn't see any of this, and that which we did see was highly sanitized by both the Russian and American governments.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

Also: Tonight is the finale of the "Chernobyl" miniseries on HBO. I have deliberately avoided researching it on YouTube, Wikipedia etc so I won't be spoiled even though it is real history. It was all behind the Iron Curtain so we didn't see any of this, and that which we did see was highly sanitized by both the Russian and American governments.
                  Source?
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Source?
                    Source for what? You think we got the unvarnished truth about a nuclear accident from either government during the height of the Cold War? If you do, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Comment

Watching Jeopardy right now. I can't help but think if something is fishy here. I wouldn't be surprised if he dumped the game because 1) he got tired of playing episode after episode, or 2) he bet on it. Given the difficulty of #2, I lean towards #1.
                      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Watching Jeopardy right now. I can't help but think if something is fishy here. I wouldn't be surprised if he dumped the game because 1) he got tired of playing episode after episode, or 2) he bet on it. Given the difficulty of #2, I lean towards #1.
                        Spoilered out below:

If you're talking about his wager in Final, strategically that was the right move. Emma wagered enough to beat him doubling up by $1 if they both got it - nothing he could have done if she got it right. In that situation, you assume they're going to wager that amount and get it wrong, then you wager so if you both get it wrong you win.

What really tripped him up was going for a "fun" category to build score later in DJ - they tend to hide the DDs under the "heavier" categories more often (and he had an inkling of this in previous games.)
                        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

No reason for him to throw in the towel on this episode. He needed today and possibly tomorrow to break Ken's record. No way he would get that close and give up. He just ran into the blueprint that many figured would take him down. He had two strong opponents. Emma was the best he's faced since Adam (guy who got 50k) and probably for the first time there was a strong third player in Jay to steal some points. He effectively got no DD as the one he got in SJ was the first clue, so literally all his points came from answering clues. On top of that, FJ was about Shakespeare with a librarian in first place.

Really the only thing that seemed off was one of the few times during his run that he went up a category rather than across was a category hiding a DD in the 800 spot, but I'd chalk that up to geography being one of his best categories and trying to build up some quick points to open the round.
                          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

That was good. That testimony helped me understand how the reactors work

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              Source for what? You think we got the unvarnished truth about a nuclear accident from either government during the height of the Cold War? If you do, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
                              This. Also why I have mentioned the doc City 40, which is a keeper of nuclear stuff, and officially doesn't exist under the Communist rule.

Russian history in total has been mostly sanitized and kept secret, hence my interest in it. We peons pretty much know what they tell us, and that's it.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Almost done with Bad Blood S2 on Netflix (Canadian mobsters, based on true story, etc). Pretty solid. I like that the story doesn't want you to sympathize with the characters. They are bad people who do bad things, and there is no justification for their actions. It's the inner workings and the reasons they did what they did. They are not apologizing for it. They are saying: this is how it is. Period.

Comment

Working...
                                X