X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: One Person's Trash...

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    All I know is the daughter character just graduated from Cornell and the other characters said she had to remind everyone how smart she was.

Now, why they would have her graduating from the business school and not the hotel school, I don't know.
    Vet school and I'll believe she's smart.

I was hoping it was a remake of the 30s comedy.

Guess not.

Go see that, though. Especially dx. He needs edumacatin'. Maybe the greatest cast in movie history.
    Last edited by Kepler; 07-10-2019, 05:31 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      That accusation isn't THAT big of an insult anymore.

I like the one about the NRA and fruity "Wayne LaPierre", but I'll bet most of the Twitter Left would find it homophobic now.

And of course, there's always the one about airline announcements.
      Every time I am on a plane I think of that one. It is the most brilliant piece of comedy EVER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46fOtLfYC4Q
      Last edited by Handyman; 07-10-2019, 06:21 PM.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

GG does just roll with it. He really doesn't give a sh*.

Frankly, ANY comedian gets old if the show runs too long. I think Lisa Lampley is hysterical for about 10 minutes, then I need a break. Lewis Black? Hour, hour and half. David Cross? Same. GG? Maybe an hour, probably 45 minutes is closer.

Just depends on your sense of humor.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Here's all it was about. Did some people enjoy it?

I can explain GG to you. He's a "pure comedian." Everything is for the joke. He doesn't care about causes or himself or you. He especially doesn't care about you, where YOU is a Very Serious Person who thinks they reason and thinks the things they think Matter. He's not against that he just doesn't give it the slightest attention and this makes people who are used to the staged fellatio of entertainment irritated (he's dissing me) or bored (he's not talking about me).

It's just the joke. That's what links him with Andy Kaufman. They don't want you to like them or hate them or think about them at all and they especially don't want you to think about you. They're the exact opposite of Seinfeld, whose entire act is to appeal to your vanity and your self-absorption. They're the opposite of one of my alltime favorites, Bob Newhart, who is all about getting you to look at yourself and laugh. They don't give a single sh-t about anything but the joke. One reason Kaufman never got along with his co-actors is he played the joke all the time on them, and that's something you may never do, because they are Artists Doing Art. He didn't care. In the same way GG doesn't want to lead you anywhere, he doesn't want to explore you, he knows you're a zero because he's way ahead of you and he's a zero.

I love this about both of them. In a way they are the actual insult comics because guys like Dangerfield and Rickels (and early Woody, a very underrated insult comic) still invited you in and shared the joke. AK & GG just do the joke, without preamble. Either you get it and you buy in totally or you don't, and if you don't they have no time for you to catch up. That was Mozart with music. That's Vonnegut with humor. It's the mark of the genuine article middle finger. I can't do it myself but my God it's beautiful to see.
          Speaking of Newhart, he’s still touring. A buddy of mine saw him here in Minnesota a couple of weeks ago. My friend said that a few minutes in Bob went with, “A lot of crime in my LA neighborhood. Asian gangs. You can tell when you have an Asian gang problem because you come home and your dog is missing, but your kid’s homework is done.” Oof.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post

Frankly, ANY comedian gets old if the show runs too long. I think Lisa Lampley is hysterical for about 10 minutes, then I need a break. Lewis Black? Hour, hour and half. David Cross? Same. GG? Maybe an hour, probably 45 minutes is closer.

Lewis Black can rant for hours, AFAIMC.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              You can tell when you have an Asian gang problem because you come home and your dog is missing, but your kid’s homework is done.” Oof.
              That sounds more like Chris Rock than Bob, but he is 90. Glad to hear he's still kicking. Jesus, who wants to tour at that age? I can barely face going to the airport now.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post

Lisa Lampanelli? The woman who dedicates 90% of her show to how she ****s black dudes?

Also, I could listen to Tom Segura tell stories forever.
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                  Lisa Lampanelli? The woman who dedicates 90% of her show to how she ****s black dudes?

Also, I could listen to Tom Segura tell stories forever.
                  Yes, that was a mistype.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Anyone else watch I Love You Now Die: The Commonwealth v. Michelle Carter, the two part documentary on HBO? It's a show about the young man who committed suicide a few years ago and the young woman who was convicted for her role in encouraging him to do it through her text messages.

Very good show, and really painted a much more detailed picture of what happened than what was passed off by the mainstream media covering the case.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                      Anyone else watch I Love You Now Die: The Commonwealth v. Michelle Carter, the two part documentary on HBO? It's a show about the young man who committed suicide a few years ago and the young woman who was convicted for her role in encouraging him to do it through her text messages.

Very good show, and really painted a much more detailed picture of what happened than what was passed off by the mainstream media covering the case.
                      HBO is also doing a 2 parter on the Garrett Phillips murder in Potsdam. The prosecution was inept.

https://northcountrynow.com/news/two...r-case-0261872
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Warner reactivates an old favorite, likely headed for the streaming service.

They're the modern, Stone-Age family

Comment

HBOGo and its other streaming services are airing an HD "From Earth to the Moon" starting today. BluRay release is tomorrow.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I don't suppose any of the Bachelorette contestants could give her an STD that ruins her ability talk, could they?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              HBOGo and its other streaming services are airing an HD "From Earth to the Moon" starting today. BluRay release is tomorrow.
                              Jackpot! I love that series so much!!
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Emmy nominations out. Love seeing Schitts Creek up for 3 big ones. Veep and barry and GoT did well but GoT is up for more than I thought they deserved

Comment

Working...
                                X