Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: TV: One Person's Trash...

Re: TV: One Person's Trash...

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    As it should have been. The idea is great but it was rather dour. I heard a comic (cant remember who) talk about it and while he loved a lot of it he said the problem with the show was it neglects to show any of the joy of being a comic at that time. They focus on all of the bad and zero of the good and that just ruins it.

Seeing as Jim Carrey usually speaks rather fondly of his time at The Comedy Store (which is what the show is based on) it seems odd that he left that out when creating the show.
    Remember that a lot of comics are miserable people so I didn't find the tone at all surprising, and if you've seen any interviews with Carrey the past several years he's imho a bit cuckoo. This wouldn't be the first show that never really rose to that "happy place". Remember Thirtystomething? The main characters were almost always melancholy and there's probably been more recent examples of similar shows that had a longer run than 2 seasons.

War Mongering Conservadem!

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Remember that a lot of comics are miserable people so I didn't find the tone at all surprising, and if you've seen any interviews with Carrey the past several years he's imho a bit cuckoo. This wouldn't be the first show that never really rose to that "happy place". Remember Thirtystomething? The main characters were almost always melancholy and there's probably been more recent examples of similar shows that had a longer run than 2 seasons.
    Right but Thirtysomething wasnt about comedy. And this show wasnt sold on the idea of being a adult melodrama especially when I heard Carrey talk about it. He called it a love letter the days of the Old Comedy Store. This is nothing of the sort...

Stand up comedians arent always downers, and their life doesnt always suck. That era especially was a breeding ground of some of the most famous comedians of all time. I am not saying the show should be wacky and non-stop laughter but almost no one on the show really seemed to like being a comedian or working at Goldy's. Where is the Robin Williams or the Jay Leno style character? When you hear people talk about working for Mitzy Shore they thought she was a nutbar and could be vindictive but almost all of them speak of her highly and with respect/love, even the ones who went on strike. They look back at their time at the Store as great...not as some slog from one major catastrophe to another. The show should have balanced that better and would have been more liked if they had done so.

Parts of the show were great...but no one is going to go out of their to watch the show if the characters are lucky to have one moment of joy per season. Christ a dude ends up on Carson at the end of season 1 and spends all of season 2 ticked off at the world making little money and organizing a strike. It is just ridiculous and that is why people didnt latch on.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Right but Thirtysomething wasnt about comedy. And this show wasnt sold on the idea of being a adult melodrama especially when I heard Carrey talk about it. He called it a love letter the days of the Old Comedy Store. This is nothing of the sort...

Stand up comedians arent always downers, and their life doesnt always suck. That era especially was a breeding ground of some of the most famous comedians of all time. I am not saying the show should be wacky and non-stop laughter but almost no one on the show really seemed to like being a comedian or working at Goldy's. Where is the Robin Williams or the Jay Leno style character? When you hear people talk about working for Mitzy Shore they thought she was a nutbar and could be vindictive but almost all of them speak of her highly and with respect/love, even the ones who went on strike. They look back at their time at the Store as great...not as some slog from one major catastrophe to another. The show should have balanced that better and would have been more liked if they had done so.

Parts of the show were great...but no one is going to go out of their to watch the show if the characters are lucky to have one moment of joy per season. Christ a dude ends up on Carson at the end of season 1 and spends all of season 2 ticked off at the world making little money and organizing a strike. It is just ridiculous and that is why people didnt latch on.
    I don't disagree with you, but I found it compelling enough that I would have watched another season but clearly I was in the minority which is why it was cancelled I guess.

I watched every episode, and I REALLY wanted to love it...I just never did. I think if they had spread out the drama over 4 seasons instead of two it would have worked better.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

So the third and final season of Divorce on hbo is pretty good. Thomas Hayden church is a national treasure

The Neverending Story
    Finally finished it up. The wife definitely marked out at that moment. It was a close call which reactions to watch, hers or the other characters.

Season 1 is still the best, I think it's a closer call between 2 and 3 for me as far as which is better than it is for most of you. I liked season 2 a lot, and the X-Men episode wasn't that bad, just different. I suppose the fact that season 3 didn't have any notable weak links gives it the lead, but if season 1 was an A+, 2 and 3 are both sinus As.

Season 2 gave us Max and Bob, this season gave us Robin and Alexei. And yeah, Steve is a far better character than he has any right to be.
    Last edited by unofan; 07-19-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    So the third and final season of Divorce on hbo is pretty good. Thomas Hayden church is a national treasure
    I like that show as well. The last episode was hilarious.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

I will probably watch Divorce once it ends. It intrigued me when I first saw the previews but I never felt compelled to watch it but it is getting good praise from people I trust.

I finally finished the current season of Billions...that show is just bananas and I love it
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Let's Go Red!

I'm sure I'm late to the party on this one, but I recently started watching Letterkenny on Hulu and it is amazing. Wondrous, even.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I like that show as well. The last episode was hilarious.
    It was phenomena. Amy Sedaris kills it

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

Just finished Stranger Things 3. Excellent ending.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Already insane, UAA making it worse

JUST HOOK IT TO MY VEINS!

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    JUST HOOK IT TO MY VEINS!
    Article with the info.

Also, bonus points if you can find every reference.

Finally watched Fleabag after the Emmy buzz. Also, I have a fondness for British tv shows. Olivia Coleman is fantastic as is Phoebe Waller Briggs.

Catholics may not like season 2, but I thought it was brilliant.

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey

The Loudest Voice has been a pretty good watch on Showtime.

Thinking about giving Perpetual Grace, LTD with Ben Kingsley a try. Anyone else already watched?

I watched 2 eps of Instinct with Alan Cummings but it's just another insipid crime drama.

I need something new, smart and tantalizing. Another The Night Of, Hannibal, Fargo, Southland, Mindhunter...

I will eventually watch Taboo but since they don't know when S2 will come out I'm holding off for now.
    Last edited by Slap Shot; 07-22-2019 at 03:27 AM.

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

I just discovered Big Mouth. It is without doubt the only true show about adolescence I have ever seen.

No spoilers, please, just 2 episodes in.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I just discovered Big Mouth. It is without doubt the only true show about adolescence I have ever seen.
    Nick kroll rules. Got tickets to his tour

Big Mouth is awesome. Season 2 introduces one of my favorite characters in the series that I'll leave it to you to discover.

Never Forget!

Bruce Willis was dead the whole time.

Thread Information