Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: TV: One Person's Trash...

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!

Re: TV: One Person's Trash...

Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Kep, I did a little more reading into Chappelle's more recent specials, including this one. They've included disgusting, bigoted, anti-trans attempts at "humor." If calling him a bigot makes me an "SJW," so ****ing be it.
    No you arent a SJW. If you think his comment was offensive that is your right. If you call ME a bigot because I laughed at the joke (because the whole point of the joke is it is ridiculous not because it is true) THEN you are an SJW. That is the difference.

I think Michael Jackson is scum...but if my GF plays Man in the Mirror while we are in the car I dont call her a Pedophile for it.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    No you arent a SJW. If you think his comment was offensive that is your right. If you call ME a bigot because I laughed at the joke (because the whole point of the joke is it is ridiculous not because it is true) THEN you are an SJW. That is the difference.

I think Michael Jackson is scum...but if my GF plays Man in the Mirror while we are in the car I dont call her a Pedophile for it.
    I jam to R Kelly's Ignition remix, but he can burn in hell, as far as I am concerned.

And for just for giggles, I have never laughed harder, yet also felt so dirty and ashamed FOR laughing at it:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSnLsYbKLhQ (it repeats, dunno why, and NOT SAFE FOR ANY ENVIRONMENT)
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

I would have to get married to be an incel
    No. If you get married it's voluntary.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Kep, I did a little more reading into Chappelle's more recent specials, including this one. They've included disgusting, bigoted, anti-trans attempts at "humor." If calling him a bigot makes me an "SJW," so ****ing be it.
    In this special his jokes are neither anti-trans (quite the opposite) nor bigoted (again, what makes them funny is that there are bigots out there, and the grounding of all Chappelle's humor is that those people are not just horrific but laughable).

I recommend you watch it and make your own judgments. I think he's very good in this. If you feel that a non-LGBT person making LGBT jokes is by definition bigoted then you won't.

I'm certain Chappelle will do more to drive the message of LGBT personhood, let alone dignity and equality, home to ignorant straights who hear awful anti-LGBT messaging from their parents and pastors, but then actually have their brains turned on via his humor, than the entire LGBT community being serious and putting guardrails on humor. That is always how ignorant people are reached. You get through the walls of lazy ideological idiocy with humor because in laughter we are all brothers and sisters. "That's not funny" never ever reached anybody. It's a club sign, "no Others allowed." But in trying to reach people who aren't hateful but who learned hateful things in church or around the dinner table you Must Speak To Others. Liberals never understand this, and it's one reason it takes so long to break through with the simple, universal message that if you are afraid of people just for how they look or who they love then you are a dink.

Those on our side who think Chappelle is speaking hateful words are as big idiots completely missing the point as the righties who think Chappelle is agreeing with them. Chappelle is telling the Tucker Carlsons of the world, in no uncertain terms, that they can DIAF because bigotry is not merely inhumane, it's also for losers.
    Last edited by Kepler; 09-02-2019 at 12:55 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Them equating liking Dave Chappelle to being a Nazi (which is what they did) puts THEM on par with being a Nazi numbskull. Me calling them out for it just makes me a person with a functional brain and sense of humor. These people are bad news man...
    Of course no one said that, but I'm guessing you were too busy being offended for Brent to actually slow down and read.

Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Who is Dave Chappelle and why do I care?
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    He was the Achoo in Robin Hood Men in Tights
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    The dude that got run over by the plane in Con Air
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Here? In Sherwood Forrest?!?
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

This may be a function of my individual perspective (supportive of lbgtq persons but not one myself), but after I watched Sticks and Stones three or four nights ago I was left with the feeling that lgbtq persons have a friend in Dave Chappelle. I remember this, because Mrs. burd, who was also offended at some of his jokes, and I discussed that question.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    This may be a function of my individual perspective (supportive of lbgtq persons but not one myself), but after I watched Sticks and Stones three or four nights ago I was left with the feeling that lgbtq persons have a friend in Dave Chappelle. I remember this, because Mrs. burd, who was also offended at some of his jokes, and I discussed that question.
    He basically said what MT said a month or so back...that lgbtq are all fighting for the same thing they just dont work together. The "Ls" dont like the "Gs"...they both hate the "Bs" and everyone seems to resent the "Ts".
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

He basically said what MT said a month or so back...that lgbtq are all fighting for the same thing they just dont work together. The "Ls" dont like the "Gs"...they both hate the "Bs" and everyone seems to resent the "Ts".
    And in doing that, I think his intent was to show they are no different from you or me in that we are all labelers who have difficulty relating to others who are different to some degree. I'm not very familiar with Chappelle's work, so I might very well be wrong.

Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

"White men can't jump."
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    And in doing that, I think his intent was to show they are no different from you or me in that we are all labelers who have difficulty relating to others who are different to some degree. I'm not very familiar with Chappelle's work, so I might very well be wrong.
    That is an interesting take, never thought of it like that, but you could be right. Chappelle just dissects every thing to its base, and puts it in humor form. I agree that the majority all lump the LGBT movement together into one big group, but that is probably not the case.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Detour off chapelle if that’s allowed.
    On becoming a god in central Florida sure is interesting. Dunst is really really good. And I’ve finally seen a version of Alexander skarsgard that I would not bang.

I should mention I did finish the first season of American Gods. The tv series is a whole new level of detail of being graphic, compared to the book. That is saying something. However, I am absolutely enthralled with all the characters and the story once again. If this were streaming instead of just on disc, I'd have burned through anything that was offered.

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

Solid suggestion on STICKS & STONES.

That set was a deep dissection of the US looking in the mirror at this point in time. It wasn't wet yourself, out of breath laughter. It was several "ha ha" moments abruptly followed by "oh sh*t! He has a point" moments. If you want to know where we stand as a society right now, watch this and then have a serious discussion about what makes the jokes happen. It's eye opening
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post

That set was a deep dissection of the US looking in the mirror at this point in time. It wasn't wet yourself, out of breath laughter. It was several "ha ha" moments abruptly followed by "oh sh*t! He has a point" moments. If you want to know where we stand as a society right now, watch this and then have a serious discussion about what makes the jokes happen. It's eye opening
    This part. All the yes.

And agreed on having a discussion. That it what makes me love this special.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post

Agreed. It was a intelligent piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Detour off chapelle if that’s allowed.
    On becoming a god in central Florida sure is interesting. Dunst is really really good. And I’ve finally seen a version of Alexander skarsgard that I would not bang.
    I really like Kirsten Dunst (Mary Jane Watson, *swoon*) and want to see this series, but not sure if I want to jump into it yet.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Thread Information