X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: One Person's Trash...

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    It was never about giving you the content you or others liked. It was ALWAYS a way to pimp stuff they were incentivized to pimp. And Netflix made a killing selling that crap off to the highest bidder.
    Obviously. But at least the star ratings were a little more transparent. If something was garbage, you could tell before you wasted your time. Now I have no idea what “96% Match!” even means.

There is a whole chapter about it in my text for Business Analytics...they were data mining before it was cool and they made a killing selling that off to other companies so they could advertise to you. The Netflix Que was just their version of Facebook tailoring ads. People had no idea how much Netflix was giving away.
    I have zero problems giving my data away if it means I get a better product.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Obviously. But at least the star ratings were a little more transparent. If something was garbage, you could tell before you wasted your time. Now I have no idea what “96% Match!” even means.

The percent match, as I understand it, takes all the movies/shows you've rated and the categories (sometimes as specific as "gritty drama") and then compiles them into an algorithm and states how likely you are to like that possible selection. If all I favorably rated were organized crime movies, then The Godfather would be a 98% match, for example.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I understand what it is. I just don’t care about that. I want to see if it’s a good move or mass produced garbage. Which is most of what comes out of Netflix Studios. I’ll watch Spirited Away even though I hate anime, because it’s a great movie. I’ll watch La La Land because it’s fantastic and i can’t think of any other live action musical I like. I don’t need to watch almost anything DC because I like superhero movies.

If I liked garbage, Netflix Studios would be a 97% match.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
          The percent match, as I understand it, takes all the movies/shows you've rated and the categories (sometimes as specific as "gritty drama") and then compiles them into an algorithm and states how likely you are to like that possible selection. If all I favorably rated were organized crime movies, then The Godfather would be a 98% match, for example.
          It's "those who bought x also bought y." Up-sell tactic.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I do if they didnt ask me.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I do if they didnt ask me.
              It’s been in every EULA for the last 20 years. Are you telling me you don’t read every word of them?
              Code:

Comment

It’s been in every EULA for the last 20 years. Are you telling me you don’t read every word of them?
                Nah I usually go crosseyed right around the second paragraph. One of the many reasons I decided against Law School
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Nah I usually go crosseyed right around the second paragraph. One of the many reasons I decided against Law School
                  Amen

Comment

“You don’t hear much about syphilis these days. It’s the Myspace of STDs”

Gosh i love Succession

Comment

Was looking over my Fall TV options and this is what I came up with.

New shows this fall I am trying out.

All Rise -CBS
                      Bluff City Law - NBC (I love courtroom dramas, sue me)
                      Batwoman (CW) (I've skipped most of CW's DC offerings but I am not going to skip this one)
                      Watchmen - HBO
                      His Dark Materials -HBO
                      Dublin Murders - Starz

Continuing on with:

How To Get Away With Murder
                      Criminal Minds (air date for final season unknown)
                      Blind Spot (air date for final season unknown)
                      The Black List

Deleting from DVR:

The Gifted (Fox) cancelled. Had two seasons. I watched the first one, not worth watching the second now.
                      The Passage (Fox) cancelled. Had only one season. I hadn't watched it yet. Going to nuke it now.

EDIT: finally finished Gotham. The first (4) seasons were great. The 5th season was meh. The last episode was fantastic, however.
                      Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 09-16-2019, 03:23 PM.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I hope to Jesus, Allah, Buddha, etc, that this is not true. Saved By The Bell is apparently getting a reboot, and Zack Morris is now the governor of California.
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Netflix lands 'Seinfeld'
                          HBO Max gets the 'Big Bang Theory'
                          NBC Universal planning an Office reboot

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            NBC Universal planning an Office reboot
                            A reboot of an adaptation?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                              A reboot of an adaptation?
                              Whatever makes money.

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                                I need to see Parker Lewis Can't Lose where Parker is 47 and living in a van down by the river.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X