Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: TV: One Person's Trash...

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    S2 is great too.
    Can’t wait to dig into season 2 but wifey wants to wait for the free stream👿

Lucia Apologist

Re: TV: One Person's Trash...

Oh my god. This Paul Krugman bit on Colbert is AMAZING

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Oh my god. This Paul Krugman bit on Colbert is AMAZING
    Half of the kids I grew up with had Bootsie as a mother. (The other half had Catherine Hepburn.)

What a fantastic segment.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Lucia Apologist

Playing catch-up on ducktales. Finally got to the Christmas episode.

As soon as young Donald started talking, I immediately knew it was the lady who did the voices from the original show. So cool.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Half of the kids I grew up with had Bootsie as a mother. (The other half had Catherine Hepburn.)

What a fantastic segment.
    It was amazing.

I would pay to have my mom do a segment like that. She’d be almost as good. Less outlandish, but tons of hilarious quips. my dad would be so boring. He’d have a serious conversation and probably end up calling Krugman a moron. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Cillian Murphy as the next Bond!
    Welp, him being Irish would get us closest to the book origins of being Scottish. I haven't seen Peaky Blinders, but Barbara Broccoli was persuaded to get Craig by his performance in Layer Cake.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

He fixes the cable?

Scottish, hmmmm. Lots of options. Really go outside the box and pick Tennant. A guy that was the Doctor AND Bond? Fun!

I don't know if Tennant could fit the "action movie guy" role they've made James Bond. Boy would that be an amazing pick though!

[snip]
    Rest of this post moved to the Movies thread
    [/snip]
    Last edited by aparch; 09-28-2019 at 01:32 PM.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Playing catch-up on ducktales. Finally got to the Christmas episode.

As soon as young Donald started talking, I immediately knew it was the lady who did the voices from the original show. So cool.
    Yeah, that entire episode is wonderful. Especially Russi Taylor doing emo Donald.

For all of Maher's faults, his interview of Salman Rushdie is an example of him at the top of his game. Even keeled, prepared, smart and articulate. It doesn't hurt that he clearly respects and admires Rushdie, but that was fun to watch.

I agree - Barney stfu

"gang bangers"
    Last edited by Slap Shot; 09-29-2019 at 03:55 AM.

Haha - Woody Harrelson as Joe Biden during a debate:

"I'm like plastic straws - I've been around forever, I've always worked, and now you're mad at me? Drink up America! And I'd like to say one more time, 'Barack'"

Did anyone else watch the Ken Burns documentary, Country Music, which aired on PBS earlier this month? I finally got around to streaming the last few episodes.

I was not, and really am not, a country music fan. Obviously, growing up in North Dakota it was always around but my family was more likely to have a Top 40 radio station on than a country music station.

But I thought Burns' documentary was excellent, both from a music perspective and also from a cultural perspective of the South and West. I am interested, though, in the thoughts of someone who saw it and is a lot more versed in the music than I am.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Did anyone else watch the Ken Burns documentary, Country Music, which aired on PBS earlier this month? I finally got around to streaming the last few episodes.

I was not, and really am not, a country music fan. Obviously, growing up in North Dakota it was always around but my family was more likely to have a Top 40 radio station on than a country music station.

But I thought Burns' documentary was excellent, both from a music perspective and also from a cultural perspective of the South and West. I am interested, though, in the thoughts of someone who saw it and is a lot more versed in the music than I am.
    I'm going to give it a try. I'm very interested in country and western music up to about 1965; after that I have no use for it.

See also: jazz.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

I do want to see it. I grew up with country music, and so obviously I hated it for a long time (especially after discovering this one band called Quiet Riot, you may have heard of them) and some rappers by the names of Run DMC and LL Cool J.
    Nowadays, old-school country is a genre I really like, I'd go as far as probably mid-80s in general? Before the popular country lost its twang and went more pop-music style.....
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Anyone else tried out any of the new "Network" shows, or is it all a cable crowd here?

I liked Emergence, and Stumptown. Bluff City Law was ok. I have Evil and All Rise on DVR.
    I wanted to like Bluff City Law, but I just didn't care about the main characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I tried Sunnyside and was not impressed. The ensemble cast was so over the top cliched that I am not sure it's something I could tolerate for very long.
    I was worried this would be super hipster-y and cliched.

Watched the season premiers of FBI (which I really like) and NCIS (which I've been watching since the beginning, but am now really convinced that it has jumped the shark). Not sure that I'll be able to make it through this season on NCIS.

I like this curious feeling

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post

First two episodes have been fantastic. I grew up with my father listening to Jimmie Rogers and The Carter family so I knew a lot of the songs in that episode. Didn't know the history as well and man, was that interesting. Not so much with Gene Autry & Bob Wills. Dad thought Hank Williams WAS country music (and I can't argue) so I am hoping to get to episode 3 soon. Can probably skip the rest of them since other than the "Outlaw" movement and a rare "Americana" act, I don't really have much to do with country music now. However, if the first few episodes are any indication, it will be worth watching just for the history lesson. Trying to get to watch Burns' Prohibition series also
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

Quote Originally Posted by busterman62 View Post
    First two episodes have been fantastic. I grew up with my father listening to Jimmie Rogers and The Carter family so I knew a lot of the songs in that episode. Didn't know the history as well and man, was that interesting. Not so much with Gene Autry & Bob Wills. Dad thought Hank Williams WAS country music (and I can't argue) so I am hoping to get to episode 3 soon. Can probably skip the rest of them since other than the "Outlaw" movement and a rare "Americana" act, I don't really have much to do with country music now. However, if the first few episodes are any indication, it will be worth watching just for the history lesson. Trying to get to watch Burns' Prohibition series also
    The Prohibition series is really, really good.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    I wanted to like Bluff City Law, but I just didn't care about the main characters.
    I think it will take a while. The stories have been interesting.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

I caught the encore for Evil (huge fan of Katja Herbers from her Manhattan days) and was pleasantly surprised with it. Definitely more psychological thriller than gore which is a good thing. Not quite as "out there" as The X-Files. The way she put the pieces together was (looking back) formulaic, but the delivery wasn't which made it so good.

I unfortunately get the feeling that it's not going to do well on CBS, yet it would kick serious a** on Netflix or Hulu. But it was such a great opening episode.

Mike Colter did a really good job as well, but I still think of him as Luke Cage.

*Edit* Also caught the season premiere of NCIS:LA, but only for the JAG reunion. Will promptly stop watching until Katherine Bell and David James Elliot are back again.
    Last edited by aparch; 10-01-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Lucia Apologist

I saw some previews for prodigal son, which looked like it had serious promise.

Alas, it was networked.

Thread Information