• Show
Clear All

Re: Beanpot LXVII: It Never Gets Old!

*Bump* One day and a wake-up.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
      *Bump* One day and a wake-up.
      Well it might have to wait a day. I seem to remember there’s another “big game” today...

Comment

Our preview of all 4 teams and predictions from the NU hockey blog

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/ge...-david-cotton/
        "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
          Our preview of all 4 teams and predictions from the NU hockey blog

https://northeasternhockeyblog.com/g...-david-cotton/
          NU_Husky.. that link does not seem to be working (for me at least).. as heads up.
          Go Huskies, leave it all out there.
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
            NU_Husky.. that link does not seem to be working (for me at least)...
            Works fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
              NU_Husky.. that link does not seem to be working (for me at least).. as heads up.
              Go Huskies, leave it all out there.
              Interesting. Thanks. Here’s one copied straight from the website just now. Happy Beanpot y’all.

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/general/beanpot-preview-northeastern-huskies-boston-university-terriers-boston-college-harvard-crimson-adam-fox-dante-fabbro-david-cotton/
              "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Has there been any talk of moving the beanpot elsewhere? I just checked and it looks like only about 30% of the tickets for tonight have been sold. The cheapest ones were over $50 which is way too expensive.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Where would you move it without giving one of four participating teams home ice advantage?

That question aside, I'm not at all surprised to hear of the lax ticket sales. Just look at this thread. It's game day and were just barely onto page 2. As far back as I can remember, the Beanpot thread was one of the liveliest on the board, typically around 6 pages in by now. And the usual BC posters have been noticeable by their absence.

Personally, I think that part of what we're seeing is a paradigm shift in how sports is consumed at the retail level and a broader cultural shift in attitudes toward competitive sports. Millennials are now the target demographic and an alarming number of them are indifferent toward athletics to begin with and don't seem to like the concept of competition. Those who are at least interested are far more likely to DVR it or watch a live stream on their device of choice, rather than take the time and make the effort to watch in person. It's a brave new world in sports marketing these days.

Oh, and if $50.00 is the cheapest ticket, that amounts to a self-inflicted wound by Garden management.

Of the tickets sold during the advance sale, I'd bet the Northeastern kids grabbed the bulk of them based on the fact that they had a long line going down the block and around the corner from the Matthews ticket office in bitter weather. Good for them.
                  Last edited by Split-N; 02-04-2019, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                    http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/general/beanpot-preview-northeastern-huskies-boston-university-terriers-boston-college-harvard-crimson-adam-fox-dante-fabbro-david-cotton/
                    Pertaining to your commentary on Carpenter playing tonight - don't expect to see him. Conflicting reports I've heard on the severity of his injury from true day-to-day all the way up to season-ending.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

My loge tickets (balcony was cheaper) were $45 each. These were through the school allotment so maybe they were given a discount?

It is not a cheap ticket. Remember if you buy online there is an obscene Ticketmaster charge on top of the $50. Plus if you are bringing in a family it is a pain in the neck and an expensive parking fee. It all adds up quickly. For a family of 4 you are looking at a $300 night just to do it again next Monday. Or you can just watch it at home in HD for free.......

Comment

IIRC, the first week of the Beanpot really started to suffer after it started to occur the day after the Super Bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          Has there been any talk of moving the beanpot elsewhere? I just checked and it looks like only about 30% of the tickets for tonight have been sold. The cheapest ones were over $50 which is way too expensive.
                          Not to mention a beer is something like $13 / slice of pizza $9 etc

I’ll be watching from home.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            Check Stub Hub. Cheapest ticket was $45 per at 9:30am, is now $30. They will continue to dive as the day goes on. That's what I plan on doing (Buying a ticket at 5pm)
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                              Where would you move it without giving one of four participating teams home ice advantage?

That question aside, I'm not at all surprised to hear of the lax ticket sales. Just look at this thread. It's game day and were just barely onto page 2. As far back as I can remember, the Beanpot thread was one of the liveliest on the board, typically around 6 pages in by now. And the usual BC posters have been noticeable by their absence.

Personally, I think that part of what we're seeing is a paradigm shift in how sports is consumed at the retail level and a broader cultural shift in attitudes toward competitive sports. Millennials are now the target demographic and an alarming number of them are indifferent toward athletics to begin with and don't seem to like the concept of competition. Those who are at least interested are far more likely to DVR it or watch a live stream on their device of choice, rather than take the time and make the effort to watch in person. It's a brave new world in sports marketing these days.

Oh, and if $50.00 is the cheapest ticket, that amounts to a self-inflicted wound by Garden management.

Of the tickets sold during the advance sale, I'd bet the Northeastern kids grabbed the bulk of them based on the fact that they had a long line going down the block and around the corner from the Matthews ticket office in bitter weather. Good for them.
                              Agree with everything. And, if I dare say, it would make sense that interest would be higher if the teams were, perhaps, GOOD??? And what I mean is, today everyone can "attach" themselves to a winner. Social media has brought out the narcissism in society. People flock to be seen with 'winners.' It's all a fantasy league thing to them. They disappear as soon as things go South. "Traditions" are demonized and frowned upon. It's basically virtual reality. Anyone can just "flit around" in their fantasy world and go anywhere and be seen with anyone they want. We're not in it for the journey anymore...we're in it for the immediate gratification. The Patriots are a perfect example of hard work and commitment. In September they were written off by everyone. But they IMPROVED. One of these teams might, also but nobody cares. They'll care when they're "at the top." Until then, everyone but the hard-core fans are disinterested.
                              Last edited by chickod; 02-04-2019, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                Agree with everything. And, if I dare say, it would make sense that interest would be higher if the teams were, perhaps, GOOD??? And what I mean is, today everyone can "attach" themselves to a winner. Social media has brought out the narcissism in society. People flock to be seen with 'winners.' It's all a fantasy league thing to them. They disappear as soon as things go South. "Traditions" are demonized and frowned upon. It's basically virtual reality. Anyone can just "flit around" in their fantasy world and go anywhere and be seen with anyone they want. We're not in it for the journey anymore...we're in it for the immediate gratification. The Patriots are a perfect example of hard work and commitment. In September they were written off by everyone. But they IMPROVED. One of these teams might, also but nobody cares. They'll care when they're "at the top." Until then, everyone but the hard-core fans are disinterested.
                                Hey, one thing ya gotta hand to bandwagon fans..
                                they've never experienced a losing season in their lives.
                                GO NU HOCKEY
                                Always bullish on the future.
                                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X