Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beanpot LXVII: It Never Gets Old!

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    I think this one is the biggest culprit of all, the extraneous cost of going. $7 for a soda, $4 for a water bottle - with no water fountains anywhere in the facility - $8 for a hot dog, etc. No wonder 5pm game fans leave after their game ends, and 8pm fans don't get there until 8, it's not possible to stay in the facility that long without spending $25+ on food and water. For an event that's attended by ~50% current college students and recent grads, it's not realistic for the Garden to expect them to stay for two games and afford outrageous food prices. This is all before we get to the cost for families to drive in, pay to park, then pay for all of that food.

The ticket prices are what they are, they're not outrageous considering you get admission to two games. The $35-50 ticket price isn't the main reason attendance is declining.
    The sentiments I heard yesterday from fellow BU fans were:

"I hope the 1st game doesn't go into OT"
    "I hope our game doesn't go into OT"
    "I'd much prefer BU playing the early game so I have option after 5pm game to dine out or go home"
    "I can't meet up til close to game time"
    (from people whom in years past had minimal issues w/ meeting up early for 8pm game)

Many people I know try avoiding spending $ at concessions b/c of the $ spent dining out plus parking. Also know quite a few who coordinate transportation w/ one another on getting home to minimize # of cars and parking costs. And hardly know anyone who attends both games.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
      More to the point, I think you just don’t see guys who played in the public and Catholic League’s anymore. The lure of seeing guys who live down the street, or played with my son in high school is gone.
      Right. Many local players spend time now developing in the USHL or BCHL. There's no more than handful of players from St. Sebs, Malden Catholic, SJP, BC High that play at of the Beanpot schools.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
        All valid factors. Don’t discount the fact that there are far fewer local players on the rosters.
        ...and far fewer local students.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
          ...and far fewer local students.
          The days of Super 8 players making an impact are long gone.
          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
            Wouldn’t be popular with the Beanpot purists, but they should move the opening round to Thursday night. Day after the Super Bowl is terrible scheduling.
            IMO Beanpot "purists" are diminishing in #s...

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
            I think this would be a good move. Students and young alumni working in the city are more likely to go out on a Thursday than a Monday, IMO. At worst, you'd get the same crowds but with a few days of media hype after the SB to drum up some interest it might get a boost.
            Another option might be to move it all to one weekend similar to conference championships. Semifinals on Friday, Consolation/Championship on Saturday. It compartmentalizes the tournament and fans might be more inclined committing to 2 games in one weekend versus 2 consecutive Monday nights. Weekend tournament is also a more family-friendly option compared to Monday nights.

Comment

The Monday format is certainly unique but I kinda like the idea of changing it to a Friday/Saturday format.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                The Monday format is certainly unique but I kinda like the idea of changing it to a Friday/Saturday format.
                Playing it on consecutive Saturdays would be nice. At least then no one has to worry about getting out of work, there's no rush hour traffic to beat, no students have class, etc. Only problem would be scheduling the team's other game that weekend and ensuring they don't have to travel far the night before. I suppose doing Friday-Saturday and getting it done in one weekend is an option as well to avoid the scheduling concerns. But I agree with the overall sentiment here that the Monday format is increasingly becoming obsolete.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                  Most of the upper deck was empty outside of the student sections. Sure, things will improve when BU and BC are having better seasons, but the trend of dwindling crowds is indicative of a larger problem.
                  I'm not gonna argue attendance isn't down overall, but this was my eleventh consecutive Beanpot and I can't recall a year when the upper deck wasn't mostly empty with the exception of the students. What I do remember is that the NU students show up no matter how well their team is doing in any given year. As fun as BC/BU finals are, Huskies fans deserve to be in the final every year as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

I could do without the Monday but I think the extra week of anticipation is half the fun. Want to have it on consecutive Fridays or Saturdays, have at it.

Comment

I wonder if the Garden wants to save its better dates for all of its other events.

I'd like pushing it back a week to 2nd and 3rd Monday so that the first night is not during the Super Bowl hangover, and so the second night is on a holiday, making it easy to attend both games. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Garden would refuse to give holiday (or weekend) dates to the tournament.

Comment

$9.75 for a hot dog. $11.95 for a beer. $50 to park. $45 for a lower ticket.

Compare the prices to regular season college games, that are also having problems filling the smaller buildings.

And you want to ask why attendance is down the last 4-5 years after decades of automatic sellouts?

Comment

Originally posted by Leather Lungs View Post
                          I'm not gonna argue attendance isn't down overall, but this was my eleventh consecutive Beanpot and I can't recall a year when the upper deck wasn't mostly empty with the exception of the students. What I do remember is that the NU students show up no matter how well their team is doing in any given year. As fun as BC/BU finals are, Huskies fans deserve to be in the final every year as far as I'm concerned.
                          The upper deck used to be full the last period of the first game and the first period of the second game. Now, most are only there for their team's game. The BC and Harvard student sections emptied after the first game, and next to no one came back for the nightcap.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather Lungs View Post
                            If NU starts racking up the Beanpot titles I can guarantee you their student turnout would start to decrease over time. BC students used to bang it out too.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              If NU starts racking up the Beanpot titles I can guarantee you their student turnout would start to decrease over time. BC students used to bang it out too.
                              Here's hoping that gets put to the test.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                                Right. Many local players spend time now developing in the USHL or BCHL. There's no more than handful of players from St. Sebs, Malden Catholic, SJP, BC High that play at of the Beanpot schools.
                                Well you can't really lump St. Sebastians in with those parochial schools. The parochials never send guys straight to D-1 anymore (maybe to some AHC schools?). I think Sam Kurker was one of the last experiments and it didn't pan out well for BU. Collier spent at least one year with the Junior Warriors and he still was a 4th line/scratch level player.

St. Sebastians is still a very good hockey prep school that has plenty of D-1 talent, including 2 coming to BU (Liam Gorman and Liam Connors). It may not be the same huge pipeline that it used to be, but it hasn't fallen off the map the way the parochials/publics have.
                                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Working...
                                X