This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers III: Weekend at Bernie's

Right so maybe let's not double down on the policy set that lost us the midwest last time.
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Ya think? Klobuchar BOMBED the college debt question last night. Huge thud.
    Yeah was gonna mention that, yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
      Right so maybe let's not double down on the policy set that lost us the midwest last time.
      I'm good with that. We just have to make absolutely sure we know what that is. I love Boston...but the policy platform that delivers all of Boston will probably lose the midwest.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Yeah was gonna mention that, yikes.
        So many better ways she could have gone with that issue. She's not going to be my top choice. Although, this time around I may not have one.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Here’s my thing, she’s not entirely wrong. Bernie’s plan for college is an insane dream. I would prefer an approach where people are given the opportunity for either grades 13-14 at a community college or two years at a trade school.

I firmly don’t believe in giving everyone four years at a full college. We don’t need that. It’s not right for everyone so we shouldn’t be paying for it. Obviously costs are based on consumption, but I don’t think the government should be paying for a non-STEM four-year degree.

I would much rather we go after student debt and college tuition. Like Klobuchar wants to do. If you can refinance a yacht, you should be able to refinance an education.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Refinancing doesn't do much for people drowning in debt or wanting to better their education, nor does it get anyone excited about a candidate. It's about as exciting as the unpaid internships that were proposed in 2016 by you know who.

And if other countries can do four year degrees so can the US.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Ya think? Klobuchar BOMBED the college debt question last night. Huge thud.
              I thought her answer was spot on.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                I thought her answer was spot on.
                What did she say?

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Here’s my thing, she’s not entirely wrong. Bernie’s plan for college is an insane dream. I would prefer an approach where people are given the opportunity for either grades 13-14 at a community college or two years at a trade school.

I firmly don’t believe in giving everyone four years at a full college. We don’t need that. It’s not right for everyone so we shouldn’t be paying for it. Obviously costs are based on consumption, but I don’t think the government should be paying for a non-STEM four-year degree.

I would much rather we go after student debt and college tuition. Like Klobuchar wants to do. If you can refinance a yacht, you should be able to refinance an education.
                  I don't think we should be giving (4) years degrees either. I do think the first two years should be free, and/or subsidize a more expensive if you want to spend more 2 years at a 4 year school. She didn't say she was willing to do that.

And I think we should grandfather that (2) years for anyone that attended college and graduated in the last 20 years in the form of a tax break. A tax break that would be more than paid for by economic stimulus of the middle class and the retraction of the BS tax cut we just passed.
                  Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 02-19-2019, 10:58 AM.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                    What did she say?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      What did she say?
                      https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/18/klobuchars-cnn-town-hall-five-questions-and-how-she-answered-them/

Comment

Refinancing doesn't do much for people drowning in debt or wanting to better their education, nor does it get anyone excited about a candidate. It's about as exciting as the unpaid internships that were proposed in 2016 by you know who.

And if other countries can do four year degrees so can the US.
                        Most of those other countries don't have a viewpoint that you *have* to spend 4-5 years at a 4 year college even when you C'd your way to high school graduation like we do. Germany has vocational schools as an offering. We mostly don't.
                        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Well unless we have a better way to deal with the demand by employers who pay livable wages for applicants to have a bachelors degree (or more) and the matching demand by students to get a degree so they can have a livable wage, there needs to be some type of real policy proposal that deals with it. Saying that you can save 3K on your 50K student loans probably isn't going to get young people all that inspired though.

Also Denmark, Norway, and Sweden have similar percentages of the population with the equivalent of a 4 year degree as we do (or higher)
                          Last edited by trixR4kids; 02-19-2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            I don’t think the government should be paying for a non-STEM four-year degree.
                            Fully agree with this part. I don’t see any payback in paying for someone to go study something like Greek mythology for 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                              Fully agree with this part. I don’t see any payback in paying for someone to go study something like Greek mythology for 4 years.
                              Even under this scenario someone with a literary degree would probably be more well read and less likely to believe every right wing myth than someone without the same degree. Most colleges require some elective liberal arts classes outside your degree and I remember being introduced to certain concepts such as white privilege, how certain gender norms have been influenced by society, and a number of other things that I might not have known about otherwise with some of the elective courses I had to take outside of the core classes for an economics degree. I think even in the few cases where someone studies something like this they're still going to be a better educated voter at the very least (or at least in aggregate with all the voters this would be true).

Comment

All of her answers sound like incrementalism is the goal, rather than a possible means to reach a goal. No reason four year college can’t be free eventually, with free community college being a start. No need to say the Green New Deal is aspirational and talk about the Paris Agreement as your goal.

All of her goals should be steps toward a bigger goal.
                                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Working...
                                X