X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers III: Weekend at Bernie's

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    what then are they needing that can't be?

many schools have computer science electives. a broad base of programming can be taught.

business maths like stats, finance, and accounting can.

what can't? learn mookie up here... he is all ears.
    If these companies didn't want us to learn the higher level courses I mentioned in an earlier post, they wouldn't make a bachelors degree in the subjects needed to obtain those degrees, a requirement for the position. So obviously these companies want people to take honors level econ courses, multivariable calculus, organic chemistry, and all sorts of other difficult courses. These things can't realistically be crammed into a high school curriculum and even people who were a couple years ahead in math wouldn't have learned those things by grade 12.
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 02-19-2019, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
      If these companies didn't want us to learn the higher level courses I mentioned in an earlier post, they wouldn't make a bachelors degree in the subjects needed to obtain those degrees, a requirement for the position. So obviously these companies want people to take honors level econ courses, multivariable calculus, organic chemistry, and all sorts of other difficult courses.
      for what? to work in a bank one needs multivariable calc or organic chem? or a manufacturing company's billing department?

These things can't realistically be crammed into a high school curriculum and even people who were a couple years ahead in math wouldn't have learned those things by grade 12.
      could be, sure. never say never. rework the guidelines to adapt to a changing workforce. again, the high school curriculum hasn't seen much of an adjustment in some time.
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        for what? to work in a bank one needs multivariable calc or organic chem? or a manufacturing company's billing department?
        How the **** should I know, I don't make these requirements. They clearly want people who can learn quickly and think critically and they feel like they won't have to spend as much time training people with a college education is my guess. Either way unless you see some way to force these companies to lower their min. requirements through some alternative policy, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Comment

How the **** should I know, I don't make these requirements. They clearly want people who can learn quickly and think critically and they feel like they won't have to spend as much time training people with a college education is my guess. Either way unless you see some way to force these companies to lower their min. requirements through some alternative policy, I don't see that changing anytime soon.
          You Teach These Skills In High School

twelve flippin' years for public education. let's go already, while we're young!!!

companies want skilled labor. so give them skilled labor.

keerist almight already
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Good luck teaching multivariable calc to the average senior in high school lmao.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              It could work. But we're going to need more than 8 years straight of control. The Republican Senate in 2020 is going to block everything just like they did for the Negro. So, it's going to take control and it's going to take more guts than we had when Obama had control his first two years. And then you need to hope the electorate doesn't swing back. Otherwise it'll be like this forever.
              I know...but if things are good a White Woman wont bring about the hatred the Black Man did.

The Dems cant play the GOP's game and if they try it will blow up in their face. (as you know) Right now they need to play the part of the "sensible parent" to Trump's whiny child. Forget about saving the Deplorables, let the Trumpers sit on it and twirl. It is Al Davis time just win baby!
              Last edited by Handyman; 02-19-2019, 03:03 PM.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                You do understand all the money it would take is ALREADY paid into the existing healthcare system, yes? All it would take is redirecting where the money goes. Change "Employee contribution" and "Employer contribution" to "Medicare for all tax" and you have impacted no one.
                Ah see there is an actual answer to the question! It is a very good first step but that will get us going in the right direction. It will cause other problems but at least it solves part of the big one. You sir get an A.

Of course this all started with free college...but that is another issue entirely.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Right now the smartest, OK, wisest kids I see are going to two-year tech schools in my region.

Right now, if you're attending NDSCS (red is their color) and paying your own way you're a fool. I talked to a classroom of students there not that long ago and all but a handful of 70 people were under a deal where their future employer was paying for school and they were guaranteed a job at graduation (associates degree). Plumbers, diesel techs, electrical/electrian students, dental techs, you name it.

Imagine coming out with an associates, no debt, a job, and an employer that pays for tuition toward the four-year degree.
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Medicare for all will save the American people trillions
                    Source? Because we only spend about $3-4 trillion on healthcare as a nation.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Source? Because we only spend about $3-4 trillion on healthcare as a nation.
                      Sanders proposed Medicare for all plan would cost 32.6 trillion over ten years as opposed to about 40 during that same timeframe according to the Mercatus study.

Comment

Sanders proposed Medicare for all plan would cost 32.6 trillion over ten years as opposed to about 40 during that same timeframe according to the Mercatus study.
                        Does that include all of the supplemental plans? Because as someone with parents on Medicare, it's the not the panacea it's so often thought of. It's almost nightmarish in what they have to consider.
                        Code:
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          Does that include all of the supplemental plans? Because as someone with parents on Medicare, it's the not the panacea it's so often thought of. It's almost nightmarish in what they have to consider.
                          As a person whose parents are also on Medicare I agree. Plus the infrastructure is AWFUL. The headaches caused by the system is bad enough as it is but will only grow if we throw everyone on it at once.

It could work but it needs to jiggered before we roll it out for the masses.
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            As a person whose parents are also on Medicare I agree. Plus the infrastructure is AWFUL. The headaches caused by the system is bad enough as it is but will only grow if we throw everyone on it at once.

It could work but it needs to jiggered before we roll it out for the masses.
                            100% agree.

My dad is probably the smartest person I know. He takes the time to fully understand what’s in front of him, think through and research the consequences, and then rechecks them. Even he struggles with Medicare. I can’t imagine how the average person manages.

I also fully agree with your last sentence. I have hope. This can work. But it needs to be simplified. Significantly. I really like the way my workplace does healthcare. You can get a PPO, high deductible plan, or very high deductible plan.

The monthly costs go down in that order but the deductibles go up. I think a modified version of that would work. But whatever we propose it needs to be all inclusive. Prescriptions, office visits, ER/urgent care. We can add things like vision and dental separately, each with some options.

But Medicare for all isn’t the silver bullet the Bernouts think it is. They need to sit down and go through the application and decision making process to understand why it needs an overhaul before we roll it out.
                            Code:

Comment

Sources close to Biden say he's a go. He and Harris would still be the favorites over Bernie.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                My dad is probably the smartest person I know. He takes the time to fully understand what’s in front of him, think through and research the consequences, and then rechecks them. Even he struggles with Medicare. I can’t imagine how the average person manages.
                                This is how I feel about buying homes. I am very, very careful with what I read and research, I'm not entirely an idiot, and I caucus with a PhD for a life partner, and between Dr. Mrs. & I we barely got through buying a house. I look at the gen pop and wonder how the hell do these people buy a house? Do they just sign and hope for the best?

Then I start deciding on assisted living care for my Mom and my f-cking head pops off. Again: is it just that most folks have no idea that they have no idea and so they kind of drift through life doing the best they can with what they've got, dodging unseen bullets until the one with their number hits? Because that sounds... actually, that sounds kinda nice.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 02-19-2019, 05:24 PM.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X