26th Alaska Governor's Cup - Decade Sweep Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 26th Alaska Governor's Cup - Decade Sweep Edition

And now we all get to wait two weeks for this series. Both teams should be fresh. No excuses.

Heard Matt Curley tell Haider yesterday that they're focusing on winning the Governor's Cup prior to Fridays game against Tech, which they inevitably lost. Maybe focus on the game in front of you? Should add some fuel to the fire, at least.
    Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
      All of UAA and UAF's troubles are behind us now...I'm sure tonight's State-of-the-State address by Governor Babcock will reassure us one and all.
      I fixed your post.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Any UAA fans making the trip North next weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
          Any UAA fans making the trip North next weekend?
          Guess not?

For the Nanook following - there's been a few more highlights posted on Twitter, with a couple more to go as we close in on game day. Again, not a ranking.

I'll post some stuff to the UAF thread with interviews I'll have up soon.

Comment

Guess not?
            Well, considering;

a) UAA sucks something fierce this year and UAF isn’t much better so most of the games would likely be spent getting laughed at by obnoxious UAF fans while the teams vaguely try to play hockey.

b) It’s Fairbanks in February so not only would one be bored but also cold.

c) It’s the Carlson Center so one would be stuck on a bench seat in the balcony while watching two teams vaguely play hockey.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              Well, considering;

a) UAA sucks something fierce this year and UAF isn’t much better so most of the games would likely be spent getting laughed at by obnoxious UAF fans while the teams vaguely try to play hockey.

c) It’s the Carlson Center so one would be stuck on a bench seat in the balcony while watching two teams vaguely play hockey.
              Judging by the lack of attendance I've seen at the Carlson Center this season, you may be able to get a lower bowl seat - still suck though. But then you gotta hope you don't cut yourself on their hand rails or get a splinter from the plywood floors.
              Originally Posted by aparch
              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                Judging by the lack of attendance I've seen at the Carlson Center this season, you may be able to get a lower bowl seat - still suck though. But then you gotta hope you don't cut yourself on their hand rails or get a splinter from the plywood floors.
                Still beats the concrete desert of the Sully any day of the week...

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  Well, considering;

a) ...you're likely not wrong.

b) it's actually quite warm out right now - for Fairbanks standards. Should be in the +20's this weekend...

c) You'd only be stuck up there if it was actually sold out. While it should be a much better crowd, a sell out would shock me.

Besides, only one of the two teams will vaguely try to play hockey. One teams has been playing pretty decent hockey as of late. We'll see which is which soon enough.

Comment

Still beats the concrete desert of the Sully any day of the week...
                    Ummmm. No.
                    Originally Posted by aparch
                    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Excited for another week of governors cup hockey. Looking back on my top memories from this series:
                      5. Taylor Munson’s overtime empty net winner in anchorage in 2017. Just after a great save by Davis Jones on Mason Mitchell.
                      4. Andy Taranto’s hat trick in anchorage in 2010, our first win in over 3 years. After trailing early 2-0, there was no need to panic. The boys found the offense en route to a 7-4 Victory.
                      3. The beginning of nearly a decade of gov cup victories. Goals from both Brandon and Dion Knelson, as they finally got to raise the cup! Oh, and there was also a flying water bottle that night.
                      2. Sweeping the series and winning shootout in anchorage after losing the first two games in Fairbanks in 2015. With a shutout from Sean Cahill on Friday followed by a 3-2 win on Saturday. Capped off by a Tyler Morley shootout goal to win, again!
                      1. Three goals in 28 seconds, to not only come back to tie, but take the lead and add an empty netter in 2003. Ryan Campbell with the extra attacker goal and Cory Rask with the game winner.

Comment

Originally posted by GoNanooks View Post
                        Excited for another week of governors cup hockey. Looking back on my top memories from this series:
                        5. Taylor Munson’s overtime empty net winner in anchorage in 2017. Just after a great save by Davis Jones on Mason Mitchell.
                        4. Andy Taranto’s hat trick in anchorage in 2010, our first win in over 3 years. After trailing early 2-0, there was no need to panic. The boys found the offense en route to a 7-4 Victory.
                        3. The beginning of nearly a decade of gov cup victories. Goals from both Brandon and Dion Knelson, as they finally got to raise the cup! Oh, and there was also a flying water bottle that night.
                        2. Sweeping the series and winning shootout in anchorage after losing the first two games in Fairbanks in 2015. With a shutout from Sean Cahill on Friday followed by a 3-2 win on Saturday. Capped off by a Tyler Morley shootout goal to win, again!
                        1. Three goals in 28 seconds, to not only come back to tie, but take the lead and add an empty netter in 2003. Ryan Campbell with the extra attacker goal and Cory Rask with the game winner.
                        You should go check #GovCupCountdown on Twitter. 3 of your 5 made my list.

Comment

The Sully is a concrete tomb. Let’s get it straight please.
                          If I had a cool pic or saying it would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal9K View Post
                            The Sully is a concrete tomb. Let’s get it straight please.
                            No arguments here, both arenas are terrible in their own special way.

U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Coach's luncheon today at noon at the Carlson Center in the Pioneer Room up front for those of you in town on both sides. Both coaches will speak today.

Comment

You should go check #GovCupCountdown on Twitter. 3 of your 5 made my list.
                                It has been a few years since I have seen the video from that game in 2003. Thanks for making it easy to find!

Comment

Working...
                                X