Maine v New Hampshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jeteye1717 View Post
    I was there too, sitting 8 rows up behind the goal Maine was shooting at those frenetic last 2 minutes. Don't forget that it was a 6 on 4 Maine advantage initially when a Denver player was called for tripping (?) at ~ the 18 minute mark (and Maine pulled J. Howard), but it soon morphed into a 6 on 3! for the last 90 seconds or so when Denver's Gabe Gauthier was whistled for delay of game (for gloving/grabbing the puck out of midair near the blue line and literally throwing it down the ice). It was a wild finish, Maine rang a few posts, but the Pioneers held on. A great Frozen Four Fantastic Finish memory for me (along with Bowling Green's 1984 4ot Championship win in Lake Placid, and BU's amazing comeback win vs. Miami in 2009), made all the better as a UNH fan that it was Maine on the losing end. Even 5 years later, 1999 still burned, so having Maine go down in such heart-breaking fashion for *its* fans (just two years after losing in ot to Minnesota at the "X") seemed nothing but a double-shot of cosmic retribution to me ...
    DU had a third player in the penalty box for Berkhoel's penalty, but it was still 6 on 4 on the ice, right? Berkhoel and three skaters.

Comment

• Re: Maine v New Hampshire

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      DU had a third player in the penalty box for Berkhoel's penalty, but it was still 6 on 4 on the ice, right? Berkhoel and three skaters.
      Well, yeah, counting the goalie. But it was 6 on 3 for skaters, because the Maine net was empty.

Comment

How did this thread go to DU/MAINE? I too was at that game sitting in the loge seats behind Berkhoel and saw the play. Karma is a biotch.

That's hockey. Unfortunately, if you follow hockey long enough,the hockey gods will come back to bite you. That's what happened to Maine in that game.
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

I'm reading about "karma" and stuff like that … in the end, UMaine still has two NC's, and the one against us can't be argued away with the * asterisk. Until we get our own NC, '99 still hurts, and UMaine losing in the '02 and '04 Finals (which sandwich around our '03 loss in Buffalo) doesn't make it better …
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            I'm reading about "karma" and stuff like that … in the end, UMaine still has two NC's, and the one against us can't be argued away with the * asterisk. Until we get our own NC, '99 still hurts, and UMaine losing in the '02 and '04 Finals (which sandwich around our '03 loss in Buffalo) doesn't make it better …
            Laughing at the UNH fan talking about Maine losing in 02.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              Are you inferring Walshy cheated against us with the * asterisk stuff? Cuz if you are that can't be argued away!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                Are you inferring Walshy cheated against us with the * asterisk stuff? Cuz if you are that can't be argued away!
                Not against us in 1999; earlier, Maine NC in 1993, for example.

Yes, Wildcat implosion at Xcel in 2002 was hard to watch for this UNH fan, for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  Not against us in 1999; earlier, Maine NC in 1993, for example.

Yes, Wildcat implosion at Xcel in 2002 was hard to watch for this UNH fan, for sure.
                  Ahhh! Had to look back in the thread and found it. The '93 reference. Remember that game well against LSSU. Was rooting for Maine all the way clueless about any NCAA foibles!

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

That was a fun time in Minny despite the crushing defeat to you guys. My friends and I licked our wounds at some titty bar downtown and all was good. Haha

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

LOL, how did UNH get on that year?
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post

No kidding.
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Meanwhile, this weekend in Durham.... Let's hear some honest predictions! I think if Swayman is 'on' it's going to be tough to call so HR is going with a split. UNH wins Friday night 2-1, Maine wins Sat. nite 4-2....
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Meanwhile, this weekend in Durham.... Let's hear some honest predictions! I think if Swayman is 'on' it's going to be tough to call so HR is going with a split. UNH wins Friday night 2-1, Maine wins Sat. nite 4-2....
                            UNH sweeps. Friday will be close with Robinson out dueling Swayman. Saturday UNH pulls away with a two goal third period. Better question. Will both games be sold out?

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                              UNH sweeps. Friday will be close with Robinson out dueling Swayman. Saturday UNH pulls away with a two goal third period. Better question. Will both games be sold out?
                              Just looked on the website and looks like Saturday is close about 150 tix left more on first but looks like mostly singles

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                                Love your answer...! My pragmatic self is getting in the way...hoping for sellouts AND a UNH sweep!
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X