Maine v New Hampshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine v New Hampshire

Fossier and Pearson are in the top 10 for hockey east scoring. Fossier leads hockey east in assists. Pearson is third in hockey east for goals scored.

For sure more goal scorers help.

But Maine is 7th highest shots against in the country. Meaning 53 teams have fewer shots against. Maine's save percentage is 17th in the country. However, when combined with so many shots against Maine is 39th in goals against, which is below average.

Maine is also 39th in goals scored. So this implies there is a big drop off in production since our top line is actually decent. It implies the production from the rest of the forwards isn't on par with the production of bottom three lines of the bulk of other teams around the country.

So it seems the weaknesses are the defense allowing too many shots and not as good of depth on the lower three lines.

This weekend's opponent is 10th in the country in goals against, and 11th in the country in goals for. Not a lot of cause for optimism.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post
      Yeah, I agree. The top line is actually quite good. Tralmaks isn't filling the nets like he was last year and Pearson may not be the most natural goalscorer in the world but they really have great chemistry. You don't see a lot of negative shifts from them. They're all pretty responsible defensively (They're 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in plus/minus on the team). They log the majority of powerplay minutes which has looked better the past 5 or so games. The secondary scoring seems to be the real issue to me. We expected JSS and Dawe to pick up the points that Vesey left behind and possibly exceed them. That hasn't happened in the slightest. The Holway situation also didn't help. With all of that said, I think the team is trending up. It will be interesting to see where Smith and Dawe fit in when they're healthy. Smith was quietly having a nice year before his injury and I think a lot of fans are still high on Dawe. This weekend should tell us if they're contenders or pretenders. If they can't get up for this weekend then they won't get up for anything.
      PC will be coming in looking for points as they got ambushed by Vermont @ home last weekend [lost/tie]. It all depends on what team shows up for Maine....and usually they come to play ONLY one night out of a 2 game series. Keys: Swayman/ Home Ice / Stay out of the BOX.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
        Fossier and Pearson are in the top 10 for hockey east scoring. Fossier leads hockey east in assists. Pearson is third in hockey east for goals scored.

But Maine is 7th highest shots against in the country. Meaning 53 teams have fewer shots against. Maine's save percentage is 17th in the country. However, when combined with so many shots against Maine is 39th in goals against, which is below average.

Maine is also 39th in goals scored. So this implies there is a big drop off in production since our top line is actually decent. It implies the production from the rest of the forwards isn't on par with the production of bottom three lines of the bulk of other teams around the country.

So it seems the weaknesses are the defense allowing too many shots and not as good of depth on the lower three lines.

This weekend's opponent is 10th in the country in goals against, and 11th in the country in goals for. Not a lot of cause for optimism.
        On the coaches show I thought I heard Red allude to or even say that he doesn't pay much mind to stats. Crazy. That just baffled me, can you believe that!
        He thinks what is more important is what they "do next as a team" and stick to the "process". Explains alot.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
          On the coaches show I thought I heard Red allude to or even say that he doesn't pay much mind to stats. Crazy. That just baffled me, can you believe that!
          He thinks what is more important is what they "do next as a team" and stick to the "process". Explains alot.
          Just go to the Games and watch him behind the bench and compare his actions to other Coaches [rival teams]….he's just there....watch him on the tube and you see the same....he's a FIGURE-HEAD at best....enough on him as my BP is sky high....I finally can see there is NO LIGHT at the end of the tunnel....Maine Program is DEAD with him and will always be that way....awful thoughts but sadly true.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
            There are a couple data points that contradicts this. First, if you watch the out of the woods video from 1993 championship he is shown analyzing stats and is quoted saying to not treat this scientifically is foolish. Secondly, last season when the penalty was not great he sais on a coach's show that the have advanced analytics and it showed the penalty kill was greatly improving. Having said that stats can show general trends. But at the end of the day the only one that matters is wins and losses, and ties count as losses according to the gospel of Walshy.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post

Good post, but I stand by my earlier comment.

Maine's 1st line would be a good 2nd line on a contending team, but it's not a 1st line on a winning team. That's clear.

Comment

Just a heads up for you Mainuhs that your season thread has fallen off a cliff, well into page two. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  Just a heads up for you Mainuhs that your season thread has fallen off a cliff, well into page two. :-)
                  "Get off my lawn" from Snively. Imagine a day when nobody knows what Snively means. Tulley , Walter Brown, etc....

Comment

Lol. Leamen got training in Old Town. Yet keeps going... Grant trained him.

No wins at all against his hardended army. But hopefully he gets "IT".
                    Last edited by BlackI; 02-07-2019, 11:20 PM.

Comment

When a forward cuts down headed behind our net... then cuts in... unchallenged. That is wrong. That is why our all-star goalie is being let down. D men need go out of their way to protect the wings of a goalie. Can't win unless these god ****ed fools get it.

Comment

Easy way to beat us, chip it low, then coral and spring up with power move. Easy 7 goal game against us. Because Red cannot coach basic principles of how to take care of your own god ****ed net front. Idiot.

Comment

That kid Wyse out of UNH is a great d man. UNH got him and we didn't. He makes his goalie better. Watch... he will be an all-star. Rocket science I guess. But for me it is easy.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                            I wouldn't mind seeing Ben get reins given his career number of games in NHL, let alone his career at UMaine.
                            Originally posted by UMaine Fans 5 years ago View Post
                            I wouldn't mind seeing Corkum get reins given his career number of games in NHL, let alone his career at UMaine.
                            Sometimes you guys confused me ... most of the time you come across as grizzled, knowledgeable, hard-core college hockey fans ... and then sometimes, some of you come across as star-gazing puck bunnies.

Last time I checked, neither Walshy nor Standbrook got a sniff of playing at D-1 level, much less The Show.
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              Sometimes you guys confused me ... most of the time you come across as grizzled, knowledgeable, hard-core college hockey fans ... and then sometimes, some of you come across as star-gazing puck bunnies.

Last time I checked, neither Walshy nor Standbrook got a sniff of playing at D-1 level, much less The Show.
                              You are so right...NHL is just on the resume....it's behind the scenes/ on the ice/ game preparation/ mega time away from friends and family......if you want it...it's call a job that you have to absorb yourself into....not many can or are willing...that's why only some are remembered for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                Sometimes you guys confused me ... most of the time you come across as grizzled, knowledgeable, hard-core college hockey fans ... and then sometimes, .
                                Me too. When it comes to the last 2 coaches we are like a moose during black fly season (just run around crazy all day) or maybe just drink too much. 🤔

Comment

Working...
                                X