X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine v New Hampshire

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Your right....we are in a different era now
    For perspective, I posted this on the BU thread in response to the lamenting about how we are no longer in the "good ole' days"

These teams are all BELOW #20 in the PWR (NCAA Championships in parenthesis):
    - North Dakota (8)
    - Michigan State (3)
    - Michigan (9)
    - BU (5)
    - Minnesota (5)
    - Wisconsin (6)
    - BC (5)

Total Championships: 41

All BIG TIME programs. If the field were selected today, NONE of them make the NCAA Tournament.

These teams are in the Top 10:
    - St. Cloud (0)
    - UMass (0)
    - Ohio State (0)
    - Quinnipiac (0)
    - Arizona State (0)
    - Western Michigan (0)

Total Championships: 0

Enough said. The landscape has changed. Things don't stay the same forever...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      For perspective, I posted this on the BU thread in response to the lamenting about how we are no longer in the "good ole' days"

- North Dakota (8)
      - Michigan State (3)
      - Michigan (9)
      - BU (5)
      - Minnesota (5)
      - Wisconsin (6)
      - BC (5)

All BIG TIME programs. If the field were selected today, NONE of them make the NCAA Tournament.

- St. Cloud (0)
      - UMass (0)
      - Ohio State (0)
      - Quinnipiac (0)
      - Arizona State (0)
      - Western Michigan (0)

As you say nothing stays the same...even this old timer can see it...not always going with it but then that's hockey now.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post

- North Dakota (8)
        - Michigan State (3)
        - Michigan (9)
        - BU (5)
        - Minnesota (5)
        - Wisconsin (6)
        - BC (5)

- St. Cloud (0)
        - UMass (0)
        - Ohio State (0)
        - Quinnipiac (0)
        - Arizona State (0)
        - Western Michigan (0)

Wow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post

- North Dakota (8)
          - Michigan State (3)
          - Michigan (9)
          - BU (5)
          - Minnesota (5)
          - Wisconsin (6)
          - BC (5)

- St. Cloud (0)
          - UMass (0)
          - Ohio State (0)
          - Quinnipiac (0)
          - Arizona State (0)
          - Western Michigan (0)

Then there is hope!😀

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
            Then there is hope!😀
            I know you are joking... but there really is. If UMaine can pony up the dough and get a good upstart head coach. I wouldn't mind seeing what happens with Ben and Alfie running the team. But I feel like we are in a situation where there is no energy behind the bench. Kids at that age respond to mentorship and energy. Seems like Red has none of either since he's been coaching the D which is the weakness, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
              I know you are joking... but there really is. If UMaine can pony up the dough and get a good upstart head coach. I wouldn't mind seeing what happens with Ben and Alfie running the team. But I feel like we are in a situation where there is no energy behind the bench. Kids at that age respond to mentorship and energy. Seems like Red has none of either since he's been coaching the D which is the weakness, in my opinion.
              Again, there are no dynasties in college hockey these days. All any of us want is to find a couple of nuggets in any given recruiting-season, and ergo to have a shot at the Nationals for a couple of years, going forward.

Red hasn't done that. He's all about bringing in a squad of 2nd/3rd-liners, and then predicting a HE title. Not gonna work at Maine, nor UNH, nor anywhere else. Every team needs a sharp-eyed Grant right now, to separate the wheat from from the chaff.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                Again, there are no dynasties in college hockey these days. All any of us want is to find a couple of nuggets in any given recruiting-season, and ergo to have a shot at the Nationals for a couple of years, going forward.

Red hasn't done that. He's all about bringing in a squad of 2nd/3rd-liners, and then predicting a HE title. Not gonna work at Maine, nor UNH, nor anywhere else. Every team needs a sharp-eyed Grant right now, to separate the wheat from from the chaff.
                I understand. But I wouldn't mind seeing Ben get reins given his career number of games in NHL, let alone his career at UMaine. I think he is being down played right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                  I really wasnt joking, Maine's dynasty is long gone, the right coach could certainly begin a new chapter.

Comment

In my opinion Alfie has done his job. But there isnt a defensive coach. This is Reds realm. Been bad for years. That is the bottom line.

Comment

"IF" they were to change and it won't happen with a 2 year deal still in place....but "IF" it were to happen they would need to change the whole staff....move everyone out and start anew. But like I said it won't happen any time soon. Hope/Dreaming is all we can do at this point.

Comment

IDK, Blackie... The D is certainly nothing to write home about, but IMO the greatest weakness of this team is the dearth of finishers. If Maine had a true 1st line you could probably their record, and thereby be in the mix, or at least close.

Comment

If UMaine can pony up the dough and get a good upstart head coach.
                          The words after "If" and before "and" are doing a LOT of heavy lifting in this sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                            IDK, Blackie... The D is certainly nothing to write home about, but IMO the greatest weakness of this team is the dearth of finishers. If Maine had a true 1st line you could probably their record, and thereby be in the mix, or at least close.
                            The 1st line is respectable, look at where fossier and pearson stand in the points rankings. Fossier has 27 points sitting about 35th in total points and Pearson has 14 goals sitting about 13th in goals.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                              The 1st line is respectable, look at where fossier and pearson stand in the points rankings. Fossier has 27 points sitting about 35th in total points and Pearson has 14 goals sitting about 13th in goals.
                              Yeah, I agree. The top line is actually quite good. Tralmaks isn't filling the nets like he was last year and Pearson may not be the most natural goalscorer in the world but they really have great chemistry. You don't see a lot of negative shifts from them. They're all pretty responsible defensively (They're 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in plus/minus on the team). They log the majority of powerplay minutes which has looked better the past 5 or so games. The secondary scoring seems to be the real issue to me. We expected JSS and Dawe to pick up the points that Vesey left behind and possibly exceed them. That hasn't happened in the slightest. The Holway situation also didn't help. With all of that said, I think the team is trending up. It will be interesting to see where Smith and Dawe fit in when they're healthy. Smith was quietly having a nice year before his injury and I think a lot of fans are still high on Dawe. This weekend should tell us if they're contenders or pretenders. If they can't get up for this weekend then they won't get up for anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post
                                Yeah, I agree. The top line is actually quite good. Tralmaks isn't filling the nets like he was last year and Pearson may not be the most natural goalscorer in the world but they really have great chemistry. You don't see a lot of negative shifts from them. They're all pretty responsible defensively (They're 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in plus/minus on the team). They log the majority of powerplay minutes which has looked better the past 5 or so games.
                                Good points too, Pearson is something like +14 i think i heard last weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X