Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45:47: I Never Said There Was No Collusion!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45:47: I Never Said There Was No Collusion!

Really liked this article on our current situation https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...nging-anything

In a lot of ways I think people like zuckerberg, steyer, bloomberg, and others are almost more dangerous than Trump and Koch Brothers. In any case they all need their influence reduced. I applaud Kepler for being way ahead of me on that.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      Really liked this article on our current situation https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...nging-anything

In a lot of ways I think people like zuckerberg, steyer, bloomberg, and others are almost more dangerous than Trump and Koch Brothers. In any case they all need their influence reduced. I applaud Kepler for being way ahead of me on that.
      jfc
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

It's not that they're as dangerous as Trump (); it's that like Trump, they're not as prepared for the job of POTUS as they think they are. They certainly know or care very little about anyone not part of the 1%.

No more billionaire trust fund-types, or celebrities, for POTUS.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          It's not that they're as dangerous as Trump (); it's that like Trump, they're not as prepared for the job of POTUS as they think they are. They certainly know or care very little about anyone not part of the 1%.

No more billionaire trust fund-types, or celebrities, for POTUS.
          I wasn’t really talking about the presidency. I meant all are impediments for meaningful change.

Comment

I wasn’t really talking about the presidency. I meant all are impediments for meaningful change.
            Well, Citizen's United ****ed any change for the next generation or two on that front so I'm not sure what you're looking for.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

The lethal threat to the Roman Republic was generals*.

The lethal threat to the American Republic is the rich.

* The generals were rich, too -- they were able to bribe voters and officials and maintain quasi-private armies; that was the source of their power.

In 100 BC, Lucius Appuleius Saturninus was tribune and advocated several social reforms, among which was a bill that gave colonial lands to war veterans, a suggestion that was radical and displeasing to the patrician senate, which opposed the measures. Violence broke out and the Senate ordered Gaius Marius, as Consul for that year, to put down the revolt. Marius, although he was generally allied with the radicals, complied with the request and put down the revolt in the interest of public order. The political issue of land allocation for Rome's military veterans would return several times to haunt the state including 14 AD when an army in central Europe mutinied over the failure of the state to provide land plots for soldiers.

After the conclusion of the Social War, certain of Rome's eastern provinces became under threat of invasion and it was necessary to raise an army to counter the threat. The choice before the Senate was to put either Consul Marius or Consul Sulla in command of an army. There was already a fierce rivalry between the two, in part due to a competitive instinct amongst the two as successful generals, but more importantly distrust on Sulla's part that Marius held unhealthy ambitions. The Roman Republic was always on guard against any citizen gaining too much prominence, lest he seize power and restore Rome as a kingdom; thus a series of checks and balances existed, such as consuls having to be re-elected annually. Marius had already served five consulships and enjoyed widespread popularity. The senate made its decision and Sulla was given the job but a short time later the decision was reversed by the Assembly, and Marius placed in command. Already wary of Marius' prominence and previous five terms as consul, and (rightly) suspecting bribery in the securing of the position to command the army (Marius had promised to erase the debts of Publius Sulpicius Rufus), Sulla refused to acknowledge the validity of the Assembly's action.

Sulla left Rome and traveled to reach the army waiting in Nola, the army the Senate had asked him to lead against Mithridates. Sulla urged his legions to defy the Assembly's orders and accept him as their rightful leader. Sulla was successful and the legions stoned the representatives from the Assembly when they arrived, defying the state's orders. Sulla then commanded six legions to march with him to Rome. This was a momentous event, and was unforeseen by Marius, as no Roman army had ever marched upon Rome - it was forbidden by law and ancient tradition. Marius fled with no great loss of life and Sulla later disbanded his legions and re-established consular government, but the military had been shown to be able to be used as a political tool of individuals. It was a pattern to be repeated more famously later by Caesar.

During the First Triumvirate of Julius Caesar, Pompey and Crassus, each of the triumvires used military success to enhance their own political and public status. The incredibly wealthy consul Crassus, who had earlier displayed his wealth by entertaining the populace of Rome at a huge party with 10,000 tables, personally raised and funded six legions from his personal wealth. Whilst he did not at this time use them for marching on Rome in direct furtherance of his own career, his desperation to rival the military campaigns of Pompey that led to recognition in the public eye means that his motives are unlikely to have been entirely selfless. Rather, it was another step in the severance of the direct connection between state and troops that saw armies increasingly become tied to their generals' political careers.

When the triumvirate collapsed, Caesar crossed the Rubicon river and marched his armies upon Rome itself. This turning of an army loyal to its general against the state had occurred before under Sulla, but the circumstances were different this time: Sulla felt at least partly justified in his march on Rome by the alleged and probably real corruption of the political system by Marius, and by Marius' own quest for primacy as a political figure against a political backdrop that sought to prevent any person becoming too prominent. Caesar, on the other hand, marched his army against Rome purely for his own purposes. It is true that the political maneuverings of Pompey, which made it possible for Caesar to be prosecuted on his return to Rome, pushed Caesar into marching on Rome, but the fact that almost the entire senate fled alongside Pompey shows that Caesar's actions were at least perceived to be an act against the state itself rather than the person of Pompey: Caesar's power base was built almost exclusively on the loyalty of the soldiers who had served under him campaigning several years. Unlike Sulla, Caesar also failed to revert power to the state when the threat of Pompey had been removed, not just keeping his position as de facto ruler of the state but, immediately on his return from defeating Pompey, naming his grand-nephew Gaius Octavius (Octavian) as the heir to his title, a wholly unconstitutional act. In everything but name, the army had placed the first Emperor on the throne of Rome.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                Well, Citizen's United ****ed any change for the next generation or two on that front so I'm not sure what you're looking for.
                He totally supported that decision. And so does every Republican in the United States including 5 of the Supremes.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  He totally supported that decision. And so does every Republican in the United States including 5 of the Supremes.
                  I don’t support it, not even a little bit.

Comment

I don’t support it, not even a little bit.
                    Indirectly you do then. Either way.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                      It was 40 years between Allgeyer (1897) and West Coast Hotel (1937). Citizens United (1910) would thus, under the same schedule, appear to doom us to plutocracy until 2050.

But it may not stand that long.

The American revolt against the First Gilded Age began with the 1930 midterms. Just seven years later, the stranglehold of the vampire squid on our economy and politics had been ended. What followed was the liberal triumph of the greatest, richest, safest, most productive, most free middle class in human history.

The American revolt against the Second Gilded Age began with the 2018 midterms. If so, we could be emancipated from Constitutional enslavement to the wealthy by 2025, after another Democratic wave and an adjustment of SCOTUS to counter the Putin justices.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 01-22-2019, 10:43 AM.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

WaPo nails it. Bill from Donnie and Mitch is loaded with crap and is calling a compromise which is really just undoing crap Donnie has done.
                        No doubt meant to force vote and then blame the Dems, which the mouth breathers will do anyway

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ed-total-sham/

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          WaPo nails it. Bill from Donnie and Mitch is loaded with crap and is calling a compromise which is really just undoing crap Donnie has done.
                          No doubt meant to force vote and then blame the Dems, which the mouth breathers will do anyway

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ed-total-sham/
                          So, what Constituency is Turtle Boy and Dump going for here? And if it's just the base again, what the **** is the point?

At this point the problem is the Government will stay shut down. I don't even think TSA and Air Traffic Controllers walking out will change it with these clowns.

Comment

"I've taken your daughter hostage. Give me what I want and I'll still hold her hostage but I promise not to cut her fingers off for 3 years."
                            F-ck Dump and f-ck the Republicans and f-ck their dwindling number of voters and apologists. We do not negotiate with terrorists.

You'll get your answer in 2020.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 01-22-2019, 10:53 AM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              So, what Constituency is Turtle Boy and Dump going for here? And if it's just the base again, what the **** is the point?

At this point the problem is the Government will stay shut down. I don't even think TSA and Air Traffic Controllers walking out will change it with these clowns.
                              It's an attempt to blameshift. Again.
                              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

They still think they can find a way to make the Dems look bad here. What they dont realize is that the people who they are trying to influence all know how to read and watch video so for every speech they give there is another clip of Trump saying he wants to shut down the government and he takes full responsibility for it. The only people who buy their tripe are the people who follow them blindly.

They are dying on the mountain of a wall that no one wants and was supposed to be paid for by someone else. The Dems can literally say nothing and lose no ground here. Hell the longer this goes the better it is for them because Trump gets madder and tweets more nonsense. Any time someone might be starting to go another way and turn on the Dems the moron reminds them who they would be siding with then.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X