Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI vs. Union (Mayor's Cup) Saturday, 1/19/2018

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Are you sure about that being the entire state? I wouldn't think that there is a reason to shutdown I-495 on LI to truckers, for example.

Two possible explanations which I can think of.
    1. FD doesn't regard the NYC metro area as NYS.
    2. Your typical fake news post.

I am not denying that Cuomo is shutting down the Thruway and other upstate interstates, and I do not have enough information to say if it is prudent.
    This is coming from the Trucking Association of New York. Take it for what it's worth. But when you see US 219, I-684, and the entirety of I-87 as being closed, it's safe to say it's the entire state. I seem to recall that the city has some sort of special deal about maintaining their roads, especially considering numbering restarts on I-87 when you hit the city limits. Stems back to the start of the National Maximum Speed Law in 1974, and how NYC was able to get away with staying at 50 MPH despite not being grandfathered into lower than 55.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      This is coming from the Trucking Association of New York. Take it for what it's worth. But when you see US 219, I-684, and the entirety of I-87 as being closed, it's safe to say it's the entire state. I seem to recall that the city has some sort of special deal about maintaining their roads, especially considering numbering restarts on I-87 when you hit the city limits. Stems back to the start of the National Maximum Speed Law in 1974, and how NYC was able to get away with staying at 50 MPH despite not being grandfathered into lower than 55.
      Does NYC actually maintain any roads? They seem like a sequence of potholes to me.
      You are correct that the numbering of I-87 starts at the city line.
      I-495, which was the example I used, continues to near Riverhead in Suffolk County, well out of NYC's jurisdiction.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Does NYC actually maintain any roads? They seem like a sequence of potholes to me.
        You are correct that the numbering of I-87 starts at the city line.
        I-495, which was the example I used, continues to near Riverhead in Suffolk County, well out of NYC's jurisdiction.
        This is true, although I don't know how Long Island fits into NYSDOT maintenance or jurisdiction, since it would be a bit of an exclave.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Someone tell WRPI that they are off by a week.

(This tweet might go away soon.)
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                  What a bunch of wimps. It's winter. The bulk of the storm isn't expected until after both games were completed. I remember a few years ago going to a game at the TU Center. After the game cars were all over the road. It was almost as much fun as the game. If snow controlled games, half the NCAA schedule would be cancelled.This storm hit Wisconsin last night and the Badgers and Notre Dame played on. Oh well the Devils and Anaheim will just have to suffice.
                  So, back in 1981 or 1982, the boys played a 2-game set against Denver at HFH. The second game ended in a fracas, I happened to get a busted stick from the DU backup goalie. The real fracas just started as we left. A flash ice storm had hit, and everything was coated by ~1/2" of ice. And nothing was salted. It took about 30 minutes to make it to Hoosick St. and head towards Frear Park. Anyways, we skidded and struggled our way to a small hill on rt. 40 in Spiegletown. And we, along with two others were stuck. No going up the hill. About 30 minutes later a NYDOT 10-wheel salter came by. And he couldn't make it up the 2-lane hill, spinning his wheels to the point of going sideways. With a little ingenuity, and a lot of guts, he proceeded to do an Austin Powers u-turn and aim the truck salter first to the hill. He proceeded to go up the hill, salter blazing, for a quarter mile, freeing us from our iced-over purgatory, and finally, at 1 AM, get home.
                  Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                    So, back in 1981 or 1982, the boys played a 2-game set against Denver at HFH. The second game ended in a fracas, I happened to get a busted stick from the DU backup goalie. The real fracas just started as we left. A flash ice storm had hit, and everything was coated by ~1/2" of ice. And nothing was salted. It took about 30 minutes to make it to Hoosick St. and head towards Frear Park. Anyways, we skidded and struggled our way to a small hill on rt. 40 in Spiegletown. And we, along with two others were stuck. No going up the hill. About 30 minutes later a NYDOT 10-wheel salter came by. And he couldn't make it up the 2-lane hill, spinning his wheels to the point of going sideways. With a little ingenuity, and a lot of guts, he proceeded to do an Austin Powers u-turn and aim the truck salter first to the hill. He proceeded to go up the hill, salter blazing, for a quarter mile, freeing us from our iced-over purgatory, and finally, at 1 AM, get home.
                    Oh, ice is always a problem. Anyone remember the 2011 playoffs? We're talking snow here, though. Something which, generally in that area (seeing how they never win the Golden Snowball), you can stay ahead of. I agree that hills can make it a bit tough when you can't stay ahead of it. It is also the season for it, so something to be prepared for. And I doubt everyone's driving a Pinto. Probably the bigger concern was the nanny closing the interstates.

Comment

The sad part of the postponement : Right next door to the TUC they held a gala fundraiser at the shiny newish Capital Center--which is immediately next door to the TUC!!

So the ladies in their glittery gowns and high heels and guys in tuxedos could brave the storm, but the snowflakes at the TUC couldn't muster the courage to host a few hockey games. Beyond pathetic....and the icing on the cake : Bob Belber the GM of the TUC, attended the gala ! Can't make it up.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                        The sad part of the postponement : Right next door to the TUC they held a gala fundraiser at the shiny newish Capital Center--which is immediately next door to the TUC!!

So the ladies in their glittery gowns and high heels and guys in tuxedos could brave the storm, but the snowflakes at the TUC couldn't muster the courage to host a few hockey games. Beyond pathetic....and the icing on the cake : Bob Belber the GM of the TUC, attended the gala ! Can't make it up.
                        How much snow ended up falling in Albany assuming it has stopped now? (I realize that snow that fell overnight had no bearing on the game. I am just curious.)
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

How much snow ended up falling in Albany assuming it has stopped now? (I realize that snow that fell overnight had no bearing on the game. I am just curious.)
                          Right around a foot RB. Didn't start snowing in earnest until after 9.

Edit: it turned to sleet here this morning but has switched back over to snow now.
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                            Right around a foot RB. Didn't start snowing in earnest until after 9.

Edit: it turned to sleet here this morning but has switched back over to snow now.
                            I hope that my niece gets home easily.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Tried to get my refund today. Not happening if you are a season ticket holder. Assuming the same thing is done consistently, you will be told that it is part of the season ticket package and that you are not entitled to a refund. However, it appears that someone who made an individual ticket purchase will be entitled to a refund provided there is no other spiel prepared for them . Wow!!!

Good thing for some people, like the ones who came up with this scenario, that there is a world of academia. Try a stunt in the in the retail, goods or services worlds and you will be putting up a going out of business liquidation sale sign in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by tony/troy View Post
                                Tried to get my refund today. Not happening if you are a season ticket holder. Assuming the same thing is done consistently, you will be told that it is part of the season ticket package and that you are not entitled to a refund. However, it appears that someone who made an individual ticket purchase will be entitled to a refund provided there is no other spiel prepared for them . Wow!!!

Good thing for some people, like the ones who came up with this scenario, that there is a world of academia. Try a stunt in the in the retail, goods or services worlds and you will be putting up a going out of business liquidation sale sign in no time.
                                Was it part of the season ticket package? That is, could you have refused it when you bought your season tickets?
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X