Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 55 of 55

Thread: RPI vs. Union (Mayor's Cup) Saturday, 1/19/2018

  1. #41
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    198,064

    Re: RPI vs. Union (Mayor's Cup) Saturday, 1/19/2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    The sad part of the postponement : Right next door to the TUC they held a gala fundraiser at the shiny newish Capital Center--which is immediately next door to the TUC!!

    So the ladies in their glittery gowns and high heels and guys in tuxedos could brave the storm, but the snowflakes at the TUC couldn't muster the courage to host a few hockey games. Beyond pathetic....and the icing on the cake : Bob Belber the GM of the TUC, attended the gala ! Can't make it up.
    How much snow ended up falling in Albany assuming it has stopped now? (I realize that snow that fell overnight had no bearing on the game. I am just curious.)

  2. #42
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    8,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    How much snow ended up falling in Albany assuming it has stopped now? (I realize that snow that fell overnight had no bearing on the game. I am just curious.)
    Right around a foot RB. Didn't start snowing in earnest until after 9.

    Edit: it turned to sleet here this morning but has switched back over to snow now.

  3. #43
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    198,064

    Re: RPI vs. Union (Mayor's Cup) Saturday, 1/19/2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Right around a foot RB. Didn't start snowing in earnest until after 9.

    Edit: it turned to sleet here this morning but has switched back over to snow now.
    I hope that my niece gets home easily.

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    84

    Re: RPI vs. Union (Mayor's Cup) Saturday, 1/19/2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Tried to get my refund today. Not happening if you are a season ticket holder. Assuming the same thing is done consistently, you will be told that it is part of the season ticket package and that you are not entitled to a refund. However, it appears that someone who made an individual ticket purchase will be entitled to a refund provided there is no other spiel prepared for them . Wow!!!

    Good thing for some people, like the ones who came up with this scenario, that there is a world of academia. Try a stunt in the in the retail, goods or services worlds and you will be putting up a going out of business liquidation sale sign in no time.

  5. #45
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    198,064

    Re: RPI vs. Union (Mayor's Cup) Saturday, 1/19/2018

    Quote Originally Posted by tony/troy View Post
    Tried to get my refund today. Not happening if you are a season ticket holder. Assuming the same thing is done consistently, you will be told that it is part of the season ticket package and that you are not entitled to a refund. However, it appears that someone who made an individual ticket purchase will be entitled to a refund provided there is no other spiel prepared for them . Wow!!!

    Good thing for some people, like the ones who came up with this scenario, that there is a world of academia. Try a stunt in the in the retail, goods or services worlds and you will be putting up a going out of business liquidation sale sign in no time.
    Was it part of the season ticket package? That is, could you have refused it when you bought your season tickets?

  6. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    84

    Re: RPI vs. Union (Mayor's Cup) Saturday, 1/19/2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Was it part of the season ticket package? That is, could you have refused it when you bought your season tickets?
    Ralph; Good questions.

    1) Was it part of the season ticket package?- Yes

    2) That is, could you have refused it when you bought your season tickets?- Absolutely not. If you refuse to pay for this game in another arena, in another city and in an area where Medicare card holders who generally go to RPI games alone would rather not be walking around after dark, you are NOT ALLOWED to purchase a season ticket. Of course, you can always choose not buy a season ticket. However, if you make that choice you lose the seat you have held since 1977 near people you have sat with for almost all of that time. Needless to say, your parking spot is also gone. If that sounds like a shakedown, it probably is.

    P.S. To the best of my knowledge AND according to two Union season ticket holders I worked with prior to all of us retiring, Union fans were only subjected to this "arrangement" for the very first cup game. Again, according to my two former cohorts, a very high percentage of Union season ticket holders made it crystal clear that in the future the cup game was to be off the season ticket package or they would not be renewing their season tickets. It ceased immediately. After that first season, I do recall my two former cohorts occasionally ribbing me about how dumb we RPI fans must be to allow ourselves to be subjected to this required by force purchase beyond that first year. Further, they thought I was among the dumbest of them all for continuing to make this pressured payment without ever actually attending the actual event. Frankly, they found it quite easy to get this thing off their season ticket packages simply by speaking up.

    Yes Ralph, it appears that someone who made a single game purchase for this event last Saturday and never as much as sets foot in either of the campus rinks is entitled to a refund if they do not want to attend on the makeup date. On the other hand, RPI season ticket holders get no refund for any reason.

    Finally, money is NOT an issue here. Bluntly, money has not been an issue in this household for quite some time and likely never will be. The problem is that this whole thing simply does not sound right, look right or smell right.

  7. #47
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    198,064

    Re: RPI vs. Union (Mayor's Cup) Saturday, 1/19/2018

    Quote Originally Posted by tony/troy View Post
    Ralph; Good questions.

    1) Was it part of the season ticket package?- Yes

    2) That is, could you have refused it when you bought your season tickets?- Absolutely not. If you refuse to pay for this game in another arena, in another city and in an area where Medicare card holders who generally go to RPI games alone would rather not be walking around after dark, you are NOT ALLOWED to purchase a season ticket. Of course, you can always choose not buy a season ticket. However, if you make that choice you lose the seat you have held since 1977 near people you have sat with for almost all of that time. Needless to say, your parking spot is also gone. If that sounds like a shakedown, it probably is.

    P.S. To the best of my knowledge AND according to two Union season ticket holders I worked with prior to all of us retiring, Union fans were only subjected to this "arrangement" for the very first cup game. Again, according to my two former cohorts, a very high percentage of Union season ticket holders made it crystal clear that in the future the cup game was to be off the season ticket package or they would not be renewing their season tickets. It ceased immediately. After that first season, I do recall my two former cohorts occasionally ribbing me about how dumb we RPI fans must be to allow ourselves to be subjected to this required by force purchase beyond that first year. Further, they thought I was among the dumbest of them all for continuing to make this pressured payment without ever actually attending the actual event. Frankly, they found it quite easy to get this thing off their season ticket packages simply by speaking up.

    Yes Ralph, it appears that someone who made a single game purchase for this event last Saturday and never as much as sets foot in either of the campus rinks is entitled to a refund if they do not want to attend on the makeup date. On the other hand, RPI season ticket holders get no refund for any reason.

    Finally, money is NOT an issue here. Bluntly, money has not been an issue in this household for quite some time and likely never will be. The problem is that this whole thing simply does not sound right, look right or smell right.
    To me what does not sound right is that RPI included it in their package at the beginning. That they don't offer a refund now is consistent with that.

  8. #48
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    47,905

    Re: RPI vs. Union (Mayor's Cup) Saturday, 1/19/2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    To me what does not sound right is that RPI included it in their package at the beginning. That they don't offer a refund now is consistent with that.
    Do you blame them? Season ticket holders (probably ones who also included an additional sizable donation with their package) probably wanted to be guaranteed a seat at the TUC for that game. So it was included. And given the 'tute's desperation for money (aren't they over a billion in debt and close to junk rating), #2 of tony/troy's rant will focus on the desire to have a specific seat, so they know he'll still buy even if it's there, so why change anything?
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    "Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  9. #49
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    198,064

    Re: RPI vs. Union (Mayor's Cup) Saturday, 1/19/2018

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Do you blame them? Season ticket holders (probably ones who also included an additional sizable donation with their package) probably wanted to be guaranteed a seat at the TUC for that game. So it was included. And given the 'tute's desperation for money (aren't they over a billion in debt and close to junk rating), #2 of tony/troy's rant will focus on the desire to have a specific seat, so they know he'll still buy even if it's there, so why change anything?
    I didn't think that the game came close to a sellout of the TUC. IMO, it could be optionally included with the season ticket.

    To be honest, seats at the HFH are quite cheap when compared to those at many other college rinks. I have not seen a complete list.

  10. #50
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    8,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I didn't think that the game came close to a sellout of the TUC. IMO, it could be optionally included with the season ticket.

    To be honest, seats at the HFH are quite cheap when compared to those at many other college rinks. I have not seen a complete list.
    Just to clarify, that as part of the RPI season ticket package VOUCHERS for the Mayors Cup Game are included. Long suffering RPI fans who spend their hard earned money on tickets and who are interested in attending the event must make an additional trip to the TUC box office to trade the vouchers for actual tickets.

    My memory is foggy, but I seem to recall that early on, they did include actual TUC tickets in the season ticket mailings, but it was short lived, likely due to the incompetence of the TUC box office ...but I'll stand corrected on this.

  11. #51
    Alleged Kool-Aid Drinker....OH YEAH
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Halfmoon,NY
    Posts
    1,403

    Re: RPI vs. Union (Mayor's Cup) Saturday, 1/19/2018

    I went to the HFH box office to trade my 2 vouchers and purchased 4 additional tickets. No need to go to the TUC to get them unless you work down that way. I usually end up sitting in the upper deck anyways so I just get any random seats.
    Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

  12. #52
    Alleged Kool-Aid Drinker....OH YEAH
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Halfmoon,NY
    Posts
    1,403

    Re: RPI vs. Union (Mayor's Cup) Saturday, 1/19/2018

    Quote Originally Posted by tony/troy View Post
    Ralph; Good questions.

    1) Was it part of the season ticket package?- Yes

    2) That is, could you have refused it when you bought your season tickets?- Absolutely not. If you refuse to pay for this game in another arena, in another city and in an area where Medicare card holders who generally go to RPI games alone would rather not be walking around after dark, you are NOT ALLOWED to purchase a season ticket. Of course, you can always choose not buy a season ticket. However, if you make that choice you lose the seat you have held since 1977 near people you have sat with for almost all of that time. Needless to say, your parking spot is also gone. If that sounds like a shakedown, it probably is.

    P.S. To the best of my knowledge AND according to two Union season ticket holders I worked with prior to all of us retiring, Union fans were only subjected to this "arrangement" for the very first cup game. Again, according to my two former cohorts, a very high percentage of Union season ticket holders made it crystal clear that in the future the cup game was to be off the season ticket package or they would not be renewing their season tickets. It ceased immediately. After that first season, I do recall my two former cohorts occasionally ribbing me about how dumb we RPI fans must be to allow ourselves to be subjected to this required by force purchase beyond that first year. Further, they thought I was among the dumbest of them all for continuing to make this pressured payment without ever actually attending the actual event. Frankly, they found it quite easy to get this thing off their season ticket packages simply by speaking up.

    Yes Ralph, it appears that someone who made a single game purchase for this event last Saturday and never as much as sets foot in either of the campus rinks is entitled to a refund if they do not want to attend on the makeup date. On the other hand, RPI season ticket holders get no refund for any reason.

    Finally, money is NOT an issue here. Bluntly, money has not been an issue in this household for quite some time and likely never will be. The problem is that this whole thing simply does not sound right, look right or smell right.
    Sell the tickets to the TUC game to someone and make back the money you spent for the game you don't plan on attending.
    Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    84

    Re: RPI vs. Union (Mayor's Cup) Saturday, 1/19/2018

    Quote Originally Posted by fishcore12 View Post
    Sell the tickets to the TUC game to someone and make back the money you spent for the game you don't plan on attending.
    Frankly, selling it is not worth the bother. Most times I just threw it away. Just did not get around to doing it this time around and one other time previously. This time it temporarily appeared to result in a refund. Since I had a medical appointment in the very next building on Tuesday, why the heck not walk to the Fieldhouse and get my money back on the same trip? Needless to say, did not happen.

    The previous time actually ended up being worth the money in a roundabout way. I gave the ticket to a young couple with a then six or seven year old. The kid enjoyed the game itself. However, he absolutely loved the post game when someone who looks like Mongo from Blazing Saddles tried to punch out someone who looks like Bobby Darin from the stage of the Fabulous Flamingo or the Sands in Vegas.

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    168

    Re: RPI vs. Union (Mayor's Cup) Saturday, 1/19/2018

    Here we go again? The weather outlook for Tuesday is taking a somewhat ominous turn.

    From the National Weather Service: "We should see a period of steady snow between Monday night and Wednesday..... a significant snowfall can't be ruled out during the middle of the week for our area."

    https://forecast.weather.gov/product...n=1&glossary=1

  15. #55
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    8,896
    Quote Originally Posted by ecachawkeyfan View Post
    Here we go again? The weather outlook for Tuesday is taking a somewhat ominous turn.

    From the National Weather Service: "We should see a period of steady snow between Monday night and Wednesday..... a significant snowfall can't be ruled out during the middle of the week for our area."

    https://forecast.weather.gov/product...n=1&glossary=1
    Ha ha. Can't make it up.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •