Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anna Maria College Coach David McCauley?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anna Maria College Coach David McCauley?

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Exactly. I don't think some people here realize who XYZ is.
    I do, and I do. I received a copy of the SSU archived data as well as info regarding Coach McCauley's high school playing days and his time as a player agent/advisor. XYZ is correct according to those records. However, at this point I have not been able to determined if he ever played for the Knights.

Comment

Exactly. I don't think some people here realize who XYZ is.
      I don't know who he is. That aside, I was just curious where he found the info. I really doubted it was a scandal. I just assumed his playing days hadn't been archived online yet and was wondering how someone got the information.
      Steve
      Penn State Class of '95
      Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=43096

It's crazy. I typed in a name, and a school, and this came up. Maybe Salem State, or someone, should get their act together so there isn't rampant speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
          http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=43096

It's crazy. I typed in a name, and a school, and this came up. Maybe Salem State, or someone, should get their act together so there isn't rampant speculation.
          There is nothing official about hockeydb. And most organizations don't have the time or even care to supply the information to update it.

This thread is definitely the leading candidate for 2018-19 mountain out of a molehill thread.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

There is nothing official about hockeydb. And most organizations don't have the time or even care to supply the information to update it.

This thread is definitely the leading candidate for 2018-19 mountain out of a molehill thread.
            For me, I was just wondering how someone got the information, not that I though we'd stumbled onto Viking-gate... It makes sense now that archives back to the late 80s/early 90s aren't online. I hadn't considered how far back his playing days were.
            Steve
            Penn State Class of '95
            Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

It’s all in good fun. Would’ve been exciting to have a scandal, since most of these threads are on life support.

Comment

Sure, hockeydb isn’t the end all be all. But to be fair, sounds like there is also no record of this coach’s playing history on elite prospects, SSU’s online hockey archives, or the Nashville ECHL all-time roster.

I know and respect Webb, if he says the guy checks out, that’s good enough for me. But I also don’t find it totally out of line for people to inquire where Webb found his stats. Mostly because if there is another source of old hockey stats, I’d love to have a peek too (and not just to confirm the legitimacy of a coach at a school I just learned of for the first time this week.)

Comment

It’s all in good fun. Would’ve been exciting to have a scandal, since most of these threads are on life support.
                  Not when it possibly destroys the character of someone. That's outright libelous.
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                    Sure, hockeydb isn’t the end all be all. But to be fair, sounds like there is also no record of this coach’s playing history on elite prospects, SSU’s online hockey archives, or the Nashville ECHL all-time roster.

I know and respect Webb, if he says the guy checks out, that’s good enough for me. But I also don’t find it totally out of line for people to inquire where Webb found his stats. Mostly because if there is another source of old hockey stats, I’d love to have a peek too (and not just to confirm the legitimacy of a coach at a school I just learned of for the first time this week.)
                    I wasn't talking about asking Webb for his sources. I was talking about KrbFlint's need to create something that doesn't exist.
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

Not when it possibly destroys the character of someone. That's outright libelous.
                      I sure as heck didn’t intend to start a controversy, I simply responding to a request for some information from a parent who was looking out for their kid and wanted some background on a coach before they decided to spend a bucket of money on University. This website has a lot on people with great knowledge and resources so when I asked around and couldn’t find anything I reached out here, which ended up being helpful and as I noted in a previous post was sent the archived data regarding Coach McCauley’s time at SSU. I have not been able however to determine whether he ever did play for the Knights and I have several friends who played for and coached the Knights whom I reached out to and was told they didn’t know Coach McCauley.

I don’t see any post here that would meet the US legal definition of “libelous”, and any coach at any University most certainly would be a pubic figure requiring evidence of malice which as far as I can see doesn’t exist in any of the comments here.

I personally feel it is important for players and parents to get all the information they can when making a big costly decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradz View Post
                        I sure as heck didn’t intend to start a controversy, I simply responding to a request for some information from a parent who was looking out for their kid and wanted some background on a coach before they decided to spend a bucket of money on University. This website has a lot on people with great knowledge and resources so when I asked around and couldn’t find anything I reached out here, which ended up being helpful and as I noted in a previous post was sent the archived data regarding Coach McCauley’s time at SSU. I have not been able however to determine whether he ever did play for the Knights and I have several friends who played for and coached the Knights whom I reached out to and was told they didn’t know Coach McCauley.

I don’t see any post here that would meet the US legal definition of “libelous”, and any coach at any University most certainly would be a pubic figure requiring evidence of malice which as far as I can see doesn’t exist in any of the comments here.

I personally feel it is important for players and parents to get all the information they can when making a big costly decision.
                        Absolutely. I have no problem with what you posted.

What I have a problem with is KrbFlint's flippant comment, "It’s all in good fun. Would’ve been exciting to have a scandal." No, that sort of thing is not in good fun. And, that's the sort of thing which can start running into libelous legal issues.
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

First and foremost, I think you're seriously misinterpreting my posts. I will accept some of the blame, for sure, but also - it's apparent - that tone isn't conveyed correctly via message board posts.

NOWHERE did I, nor anyone else, state that David McCauley was lying. As a matter of fact, my McShane post referenced that SALEM STATE should get their act together, since their online record book has no record of "one of the program's all-time leading scorers". If you didn't see the intent of that post, in that it was not accusatory toward McCauley, I'm sorry. I'll make sure that I spell it out next time.

When I said "all in good fun", I was referring to the detective work and hunt for some kind of record of Coach's career at SSU.

Do I find it strange that there is no available record of McCauley's career at Salem State or with the Knights? Yeah, I do. Does it mean he is a liar? No. Did I ever call him a liar? No. I am not saying, nor have I ever said, that Coach McCauley lied on his resume.

Coming in accusing people of libel and character assassination is way over the top, irresponsible, and terribly inaccurate. I know you're royalty around here, but I had no ill-intent beyond participating in a thread I was interested in (which I did not start, by the way). I won't allow you to publicly accuse me of nefarious intent.

Comment

Originally posted by krbflint View Post
                            first and foremost, i think you're seriously misinterpreting my posts. I will accept some of the blame, for sure, but also - it's apparent - that tone isn't conveyed correctly via message board posts.

Nowhere did i, nor anyone else, state that david mccauley was lying. As a matter of fact, my mcshane post referenced that salem state should get their act together, since their online record book has no record of "one of the program's all-time leading scorers". If you didn't see the intent of that post, in that it was not accusatory toward mccauley, i'm sorry. I'll make sure that i spell it out next time.

When i said "all in good fun", i was referring to the detective work and hunt for some kind of record of coach's career at ssu.

Do i find it strange that there is no available record of mccauley's career at salem state or with the knights? Yeah, i do. Does it mean he is a liar? No. Did i ever call him a liar? No. I am not saying, nor have i ever said, that coach mccauley lied on his resume.

Coming in accusing people of libel and character assassination is way over the top, irresponsible, and terribly inaccurate. I know you're royalty around here, but i had no ill-intent beyond participating in a thread i was interested in (which i did not start, by the way). I won't allow you to publicly accuse me of nefarious intent.
                            ok
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Do I find it strange that there is no available record of McCauley's career at Salem State or with the Knights? Yeah, I do. Does it mean he is a liar? No. Did I ever call him a liar? No. I am not saying, nor have I ever said, that Coach McCauley lied on his resume.

Coming in accusing people of libel and character assassination is way over the top, irresponsible, and terribly inaccurate. I know you're royalty around here, but I had no ill-intent beyond participating in a thread I was interested in (which I did not start, by the way). I won't allow you to publicly accuse me of nefarious intent.
                              See here is where you are wrong. There is plenty of evidence of his career at Salem State online. If you look at his LinkedIn page, you can find he gives the four years he played there. Further research can bring you to articles from newspapers that references games he participated in that verify two of the years. Just because you are not good at searching does not mean that the evidence is not out there (this is without even reaching out to the SID at Salem State to verify). I was able to pull enough sources to give me plenty of reasonableness that he played at Salem State from the time he said he did and I found all of this in under 5 minutes of time. If I really cared, I'm sure I could find stuff about the ECHL as well.

Your belief in the lack of records due to your inability is the real issue here.
                              I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

Originally posted by BetterInLakePlacid View Post
                                See here is where you are wrong. There is plenty of evidence of his career at Salem State online. If you look at his LinkedIn page, you can find he gives the four years he played there. Further research can bring you to articles from newspapers that references games he participated in that verify two of the years. Just because you are not good at searching does not mean that the evidence is not out there (this is without even reaching out to the SID at Salem State to verify). I was able to pull enough sources to give me plenty of reasonableness that he played at Salem State from the time he said he did and I found all of this in under 5 minutes of time. If I really cared, I'm sure I could find stuff about the ECHL as well.

Your belief in the lack of records due to your inability is the real issue here.
                                Haha, ok. I thought this was over and done. This may shock you, but I haven't given any thought to any of this since my post defending my intent. I will freely admit that I didn't spend a lot of time searching; I have a job and family. I googled his name + Salem State and found nothing beyond the LinkedIn you referenced, and I visited the archived records on Salem State's hockey page. See, the thing about message boards, to me, is that they're an entertaining opportunity to discuss things I'm interested in - like college hockey. Someone started this thread, I participated, and I moved on. I never attempted to be some kind of online sleuth. Webb said it was all true, so I didn't really think about it anymore. At the end of the day, it would have been a big story if he had embellished his resume. Didn't turn out to be the case. Great. Happy for him, and happy for Anna Maria.

As I said in response to Russell, the USCHO online community interpreted my posts to be much more "serious" than I intended when I posted them. I'll make sure to be more clear in the future to avoid any confusion.

For fun, I have googled the names of a lot of hockey coaches and their alma maters, and I always get readily available search results. So, yeah, I found it strange that that didn't happen here. It doesn't mean the guy is lying. I also wasn't ready to go to the public library and dial up the microfiche.

You're right, I'm obviously "not good at searching". Congrats, Columbo. Please, good people of USCHO, accept my public apology. I hope we never talk about this again.

Comment

Working...
                                X