Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Source: https://www.theecoexperts.co.uk/sola...ch-electricity

So 2 sq meter is 400 watts, thus 1 sq meter is 200 watts.

Coal Creek Station in ND owned by MN based GRE: 1.2 GW or 1,200,000,000 watts.

That's 6 million square meters of panels. (1,200,000,000 / 200)

That's 64,583,462.5 sq feet.

That's 2.3 square miles of just panels.

You need space for repair and access and infrastructure to get energy away and set backs from neighbors. Say double that to 4.5 sq mi.

And now the kicker ... that's say good for 6 productive hours a day. You need 24 hours. ....
    (I won't even bring up cloudy days.)

4.5 sq mi just became 18 sq miles.

And you need storage for the non-solar productive 18 hours you overbuilt for. (I've mentioned storage, yes?) How much space will that eat? I'll be conservative and put it in the 18 sq miles.

Oh, and now you have to build the high voltage line to get the energy from this new solar farm to the end user. Ever heard of power line NIMBY?

So is this impossible? No.
    Why? ENGINEERING! I'd love to see it, but there are a lot of "moving parts"

Just the same: Caveat emptor.
    Know what you're asking for.
    Put utility owned solar panels on the rooftops of all new construction that are covered in base rates (with building code requirements to build south facing rooflines), and that will address many of your space concerns. Add incentives to add it to existing homes where feasible.

Utilities are already planning for the upcoming storage wars. There are pilot projects being proposed and regulatory rules being enacted. It's coming whether you believe it or not.
    Last edited by unofan; 02-08-2019, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• Re: AOC Rules!

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      Put utility owned solar panels on the rooftops of all new construction that are covered in base rates.
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And start retrofitting existing housing. Which I think Minnesota has done some of that already.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Put utility owned solar panels on the rooftops of all new construction that are covered in base rates (with building code requirements to build south facing rooflines), and that will address many of your space concerns. Add incentives to add it to existing homes where feasible.

Utilities are already planning for the upcoming storage wars. There are pilot projects being proposed and regulatory rules being enacted. It's coming whether you believe it or not.
        I love it when someone whips out a big dose of reality and slaps him right in the forehead with it.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

A great advantage of doing that is you can see up microgrids. And decentralizing the power generation will make the system far more robust to the overall system, since it will take far more failures to impact a lot of people.

Another advantage- in areas that are hurricane prone- putting the panels on the top of roofs tend to be far more aerodynamically stable than just putting them out in fields. Again, helping the overall robustness of power generation and delivery.

A guy at work's kid sells panels with smart inverters built into them- and you can just string them together. Right now, $400 for 400W, plug in.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            Kennedy: "I declare to put a man on the moon in this decade".

Sic: "Great. How you gonna do that?"

Since when did America become the country of "no, we can't do that".

Buncha whiney little beeches.
            I think it happened right around the time when we stopped asking "What can I do for my country?" and started asking "What can my country do for me?"
            "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
            Groucho Marx
            "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
            Ron White
            "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
            Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
              I think it happened right around the time when we stopped asking "What can I do for my country?" and started asking "What can my country do for me?"
              So, 1933?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                Kennedy: "I declare to put a man on the moon in this decade".

Sic: "Great. How you gonna do that?"

Since when did America become the country of "no, we can't do that".

Buncha whiney little beeches.
                Randal: Kennedy, all right JFK himself. When he was in office, he stood before the world and promised them a man on the moon within 10 years. Thing is nobody had started working on a space program at that point. JFK had no data to back up his claims, no inside into the practicality of space travel. But you know what he had?

Dante: Marilyn Monroe.

(source): The Flying Car, a short film by Kevin Smith, which is an awesome short, btw (NSFW): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXYjqLLQ5KA
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                  Thing is nobody had started working on a space program at that point.
                  That must have come as a shock to the men of Projects Mercury and Gemini who had already flown missions by then, and for that matter the Apollo Program which was already a year old when Kennedy made his speech.

But I liked the short.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 02-08-2019, 10:36 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    That must have come as a shock to the men of the Projects Mercury and Gemini who had already flown missions by then, and for that matter the Apollo Program which was already a year old when Kennedy made his speech.
                    It's a comedy short. Take it easy. I dunno if you're familiar with the characters of Randall and Dante, but Randall is the boisterous (often wrong, but bluntly honest) one, and Dante is the sad puppy logical one.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

It's a comedy short. Take it easy. I dunno if you're familiar with the characters of Randall and Dante, but Randall is the boisterous (often wrong, but bluntly honest) one, and Dante is the sad puppy logical one.
                      I was being Randall.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I am glad you liked the short, though. Kevin Smith def has a way with dialogue.

Comment

I am glad you liked the short, though. Kevin Smith def has a way with dialogue.
                          I loved Clerks and Dogma.
                          Cornell University

Comment

I loved Clerks and Dogma.
                            Dogma was probably 2nd best in that universe, IMO. Chasing Amy I thought was his best overall in that universe. Trade religious commentary for social commentary.

Note: my Roman Catholic mom, through and through, also loved Dogma. She saw a lot of truth in it.

Comment

Dogma was probably 2nd best in that universe, IMO. Chasing Amy I thought was his best overall in that universe. Trade religious commentary for social commentary.

Note: my Roman Catholic mom, through and through, also loved Dogma. She saw a lot of truth in it.
                              Having been raised Catholic it really did nail it.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Having been raised Catholic it really did nail it.
                                I was classic Roman Catholic until about 14 years of age or so. The contradictions and the learning of other religions' ways (not too deeply, but enough) made me abandon organized religion.

Comment

Working...
                                X