Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: AOC Rules!

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Which pipe? The one that failed in Marshall County, SD? That was Keystone (original) not DAPL. That was Phase 1 (2010) pipe.

That spill was 407,000 gallons. That's 13.5 train cars.

Here's what that looks like when it's an oil train gone wrong and it was more gallons (NTSB says more like 470,000).

Yes, they recognized and isolated a pipeline rupture to be fewer gallons than that horrific train derailment that almost obliterated Casselton, ND. The Keystone control center (in Edmonton!*) recognized a pressure transient and isolated and secured (from Edmonton!) the section that quickly. But even when the isolation valves go shut around the break you're still going to lose control of whatever is between the valves. They lost less than a train load. Without a fire.

*No complexity; just a pipe.
    Are you dense or something? I already have said that pipelines are safer than trains. How a pipeline leak compares to a train is irrelevant, except for anyone trying to make excuses for things that should not happen.

And having a less than 10 year old pipe leak is NOT GOOD ENOUGH. If they are so safe, then why are they leaking at all? These are items where the factor of safety can be very large, and I can't see that really being super expensive. They are welded steel, for crying out loud. Testing that is very well known. Making strong enough is very well known. All of the stuff going into it is well known. The environment it lives in is very well known. There's NO excuse for a less than 10 year old pipeline to leak at all.

So it's high time that people who finance it put some pressure on whoever is making and using it to do a better job.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      DAPL has a $50,000,000.00 liability policy in Iowa.
      https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...nce/393716001/

The Keystone spill in SD cost under $10,000,000.00 to reclaim.
      https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/lo...74c36c54c.html

How much insurance? Back to the car example: mookie might go on a bender and hit a bus full of nuns taking blind kids (of lawyers) to the petting zoo. That could easily be a $100,000,000.00 settlement (especially when it's found out the crash killed the zoo's beloved fainting goat Kenny*). How much insurance should mookie have? How much should his auto loan lender also carry?

*You killed Kenny!
      So one small spill took up 20% of the entire coverage? Forgive me for thinking that not nearly enough coverage.

Make all of the BS arguments that hypothetically you can't insure it enough- someone needs to be responsible for preventable things like oil spills.

In other words- do your job better.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        Are you dense or something? I already have said that pipelines are safer than trains. How a pipeline leak compares to a train is irrelevant, except for anyone trying to make excuses for things that should not happen.

And having a less than 10 year old pipe leak is NOT GOOD ENOUGH. If they are so safe, then why are they leaking at all? These are items where the factor of safety can be very large, and I can't see that really being super expensive. They are welded steel, for crying out loud. Testing that is very well known. Making strong enough is very well known. All of the stuff going into it is well known. The environment it lives in is very well known. There's NO excuse for a less than 10 year old pipeline to leak at all.

So it's high time that people who finance it put some pressure on whoever is making and using it to do a better job.
        The amount of flexing, movement, expansion, and contraction is amazing. The amount of materials, structural, and chemical engineering that goes into the design and engineering of these systems is just he beginning. There’s also a complex controls system and instrumentation network that has to work over thousands of miles. That’s just the beginning. This isn’t “just a welded steel pipe”. It’s a complex moving machine.

And I should know, I’ve led multimillion dollar projects to distribute solvent within a single chemical site. The project was nominated for several awards internally and externally. I’ve given several speeches on the project both internally and externally for which we did win an award. The technology and project is considered best practice within the company.

And this is a relatively simple piping system will small bore pipes and only about 3 miles of pipe.
        Last edited by dxmnkd316; 03-16-2019, 06:16 PM.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          The amount of flexing, movement, expansion, and contraction is amazing. The amount of materials, structural, and chemical engineering that goes into the design and engineering of these systems is just he beginning. There’s also a complex controls system and instrumentation network that has to work over thousands of miles. That’s just the beginning. This isn’t “just a welded steel pipe”. It’s a complex moving machine.
          What he said.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

And I should know, I’ve led multimillion dollar projects to distribute solvent within a single chemical site. The project was nominated for several awards internally and externally. I’ve given several speeches on the project both internally and externally for which we did win an award. The technology and project is considered best practice within the company.

And this is a relatively simple piping system will small bore pipes and only about 3 miles of pipe.
            Originally posted by The Rube View Post
            What he said.
            No one argued otherwise.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              No one argued otherwise.
              Really?

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Really?
                If engineers can't figure out how to prevent leaks, etc. Just end the planet now.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  ...Just end the planet now.
                  The EPA is working on it as quick as they can!
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

If engineers can't figure out how to prevent leaks, etc. Just end the planet now.
                    Well, if engineers can't figure out how to stop malfunctions of airliners, or vehicles, etc etc etc.

Seriously, take a step back.....
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                      Well, if engineers can't figure out how to stop malfunctions of airliners, or vehicles, etc etc etc.

Seriously, take a step back.....
                      Lol. Comparing a pipe to an airplane. And the safest form of travel no less. Heeeelarious.

Comment

Lol. Comparing a pipe to an airplane. And the safest form of travel no less. Heeeelarious.
                        Is this a real post?
                        Code:

Comment

Know why pipeline leaks are news? They are rare overall, just like airplane crashes. Try again.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                            Know why pipeline leaks are news? They are rare overall, just like airplane crashes. Try again.
                            No one argued otherwise. Pay for the ****ing clean up or don't build it.

Comment

Off-topic message to Rube: yeah, that was a terrible call. I never complain about officiating when my team loses, so I'll do it for you. I thought at first the play was just being blown dead for offsides or a hand pass or something. Odd to see such a weak call in OT.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                                Off-topic message to Rube: yeah, that was a terrible call. I never complain about officiating when my team loses, so I'll do it for you. I thought at first the play was just being blown dead for offsides or a hand pass or something. Odd to see such a weak call in OT.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
                                I am boiling right now, and thank you for the complaint. It is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X