St.. Anslem v. Hamlin 1/3/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St.. Anslem v. Hamlin 1/3/19

I couldn't miss a chance to see the #2 team in the nation play so we went over to St. Paul to watch them play DIII Hamlin (# 7 in DIII).
    Some background - We used to go to DIII games 10 years ago because there were some neighborhood kids who layed. Honestly most of the teams we saw would have lost to halfway decent high school teams. That certainly is not true for either of these two teams, it was an entertaining game.
    Natalie Darwitz took over Hamlin a couple of years ago and has built a pretty impressive squad. Mira Jasola is an assistant but was not there last night

Hamlin was a step or two faster so some of the other impressions may come from that. The biggest difference I noticed was that HU made far fewer mistakes than STA. Tossing the puck into empty space with no plan, missing passes and not following up. HU seemed to have more organized attacks.

HU broke to a 3-0 lead thanks in part to going 2-3 on the PP. In the second they traded PPGs and HU added even strength late in the period. I thought it might get out of hand as STA started taking dump penalties and were really struggling on the PK. The officiating was not horrible but a lot more strict than we are getting used to in women's hockey. they traded goals in the third for a 6-2 final. Most impressive was that HUs goals came from 6 players! They are not a one-line club.

Box score (with caveat that I may be just close, I don't normally try to do this)
    SOG HU-36 STA - 27
    PP HU - 2 for 7 STA - 0 for 7
    Faceoffs - my estimate is HU won 2/3rds

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
    I couldn't miss a chance to see the #2 team in the nation play so we went over to St. Paul to watch them play DIII Hamlin (# 7 in DIII).
    Some background - We used to go to DIII games 10 years ago because there were some neighborhood kids who layed. Honestly most of the teams we saw would have lost to halfway decent high school teams. That certainly is not true for either of these two teams, it was an entertaining game.
    Natalie Darwitz took over Hamlin a couple of years ago and has built a pretty impressive squad. Mira Jasola is an assistant but was not there last night

Hamlin was a step or two faster so some of the other impressions may come from that. The biggest difference I noticed was that HU made far fewer mistakes than STA. Tossing the puck into empty space with no plan, missing passes and not following up. HU seemed to have more organized attacks.

HU broke to a 3-0 lead thanks in part to going 2-3 on the PP. In the second they traded PPGs and HU added even strength late in the period. I thought it might get out of hand as STA started taking dump penalties and were really struggling on the PK. The officiating was not horrible but a lot more strict than we are getting used to in women's hockey. they traded goals in the third for a 6-2 final. Most impressive was that HUs goals came from 6 players! They are not a one-line club.

Box score (with caveat that I may be just close, I don't normally try to do this)
    SOG HU-36 STA - 27
    PP HU - 2 for 7 STA - 0 for 7
    Faceoffs - my estimate is HU won 2/3rds
    In what universe is St.A's the #2 team in the nation?
    Remy Babineaux
    remyb616@gmail.com
    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Re: St.. Anslem v. Hamlin 1/3/19

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
      In what universe is St.A's the #2 team in the nation?
      In the PairWise Universe!

https://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairw...ngs/d-i-women/
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

Comment

EH HEMMMMMM the Pairwise only ranks tournament eligible teams and therefore as St. A's is only playing 19 D1/D2 games they are not eligible and therefore not #2 in the Pairwise and USCHO's PWR is wrong *again* [/pushes glasses up nose]

Read more here: https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...ngs-calculator
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

If that's how someone assumes that someone is the #2 team in the nation, might want to watch a little more hockey...
            Remy Babineaux
            remyb616@gmail.com
            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

If that's how someone assumes that someone is the #2 team in the nation, might want to watch a little more hockey...
              You're new here aren't you

Ne7minder's comment was tongue in cheek
              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Seriously? That is the way you want to go instead of admitting you missed the obvious joke? A joke that has been played with here on the board for a couple of years? Way to kill the mood.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                  Seriously? That is the way you want to go instead of admitting you missed the obvious joke? A joke that has been played with here on the board for a couple of years? Way to kill the mood.
                  You'll have to forgive him. Those Plattsburgh types are a bit too serious. That's what happens in a season following their failure to make it to the national championship game the previous season.....they're all unsettled. Lol.

Comment

St. Anslem did come back last evening to defeat Saint Scholastica in Duluth after a 2 1/2 hour bus ride after their Hamline game. I agree Hamline was the better team in Thursday's game but it might have been a different game had St. Anslem been able to scored on a couple of early chances. Hamline seemed to have the better puck bounce luck. It is always nice to see any East team travel west for some games. Well off the see the Hamline SNC game.
                    4 & 20 The All-American Sister's
                    SNC 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, & 2018 Mens DIII NCAA Champions & they have Women's Hockey

Comment

Working...
                    X