Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 116th Congress: Episode 1 - Trial by Fire

Re: 116th Congress: Episode 1 - Trial by Fire

That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    My Schoolhouse Rock is a bit rusty, is there a time limit on Bills approved from the House, or could a potential Dem controlled Senate in the 117th Congress take a look at two years of backlog from the house and go "Hey! These are great! *rubber stanp*"??

Okay, my Schoolhouse Rock is a lot rusty. Just need the reminder.
    The time limit is the fiscal year for most bills, but some, such as Constitutional Amendments, can spend years as bills and only become irrelevant because nobody does anything with them.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    The time limit is the fiscal year for most bills, but some, such as Constitutional Amendments, can spend years as bills and only become irrelevant because nobody does anything with them.
    For most appropriation bills, yes. Otherwise, it is the length of the Congress (2 yrs)

Every two years bills expire when the new Congress starts. Amendments only stay open longer if they've already passed and are waiting for ratification by the states.

This is why the Senate's unanimous voice vote to keep the government open no longer counts, even though the house just passed the exact same thing.

Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar

Matt Frattin for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    They are insane if they don't pass it. The millionaire (billionaire) Members don't need the money.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

It should include POTUS. I'd love to see Trump's decision should it ever reach his desk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    They are insane if they don't pass it. The millionaire (billionaire) Members don't need the money.
    Not every Congressman working in the House is rich and can afford not to be paid when Orange ****tard goes on one of his temper tantrums.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

Yep, still here

IIRC, parts of the Constitution stops that bill
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    It should include POTUS. I'd love to see Trump's decision should it ever reach his desk.
    Trump would sign it instantly. It's another chance for him to show the world how much money he wants us to think he has.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Not every Congressman working in the House is rich and can afford not to be paid when Orange ****tard goes on one of his temper tantrums.
    And an even lower percentage of federal employees earning an hourly wage are rich and can afford to have their paychecks delayed.

Quote Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
    IIRC, parts of the Constitution stops that bill
    Correct. I remember reading that earlier this week.

No, they aren't. But, they have the power to end it. The rest of the government doesn't.

Matt Frattin for Hobey!!

MNS - forking genius.

MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

I am a fan of MNS.

No, they aren't. But, they have the power to end it. The rest of the government doesn't.
    No, they don't. The people with power here are Nancy, Chuck, Turtle Boy, and the Orange ****tard. The rest have very little to none.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

No, they don't. The people with power here are Nancy, Chuck, Turtle Boy, and the Orange ****tard. The rest have very little to none.
    Then it's their fault for giving up that power to them.

Funding the government is the responsibility of Congress.

Matt Frattin for Hobey!!

MNS - forking genius.

I am a fan of MNS.

Then it's their fault for giving up that power to them.

Funding the government is the responsibility of Congress.
    I don't think you understand the issue as well as you think it does. If Trump wants to shut down the Government and Turtle Boy does whatever Trump wants then the Government is going to stay shut down. It won't matter what any one Congressman in the House or Senate does.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Trump is donating his salary, just like JFK.

The Dark One
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom

I don't think you understand the issue as well as you think it does. If Trump wants to shut down the Government and Turtle Boy does whatever Trump wants then the Government is going to stay shut down. It won't matter what any one Congressman in the House or Senate does.
    They can override his veto. If Dems are at 240 in the House that would only take about 50 knucks to cross over and put this to bed. I think 7 of them already voted for the Dems first bill to open the government. Senate would need 20 Goopers which is doable if the Koch brothers write Itch a big enough check to bring the bill up for a vote.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    They can override his veto. If Dems are at 240 in the House that would only take about 50 knucks to cross over and put this to bed. I think 7 of them already voted for the Dems first bill to open the government. Senate would need 20 Goopers which is doable if the Koch brothers write Itch a big enough check to bring the bill up for a vote.
    Sure. They can override it. IF and ONLY IF Turtle Boy will bring it to the floor. Right now he won't. And again, this is a discussion about who has power. Turtle Boy has all the power in the Senate. Nancy has all the power in the House. And, it's massive power. I think people forgot how powerful the Speaker is while Ayn Rand Masturbation Boy was running things.

The Dark One
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom

Sure. They can override it. IF and ONLY IF Turtle Boy will bring it to the floor. Right now he won't. And again, this is a discussion about who has power. Turtle Boy has all the power in the Senate. Nancy has all the power in the House. And, it's massive power. I think people forgot how powerful the Speaker is while Ayn Rand Masturbation Boy was running things.
    All of the GOP speakers have been impotent post-Gingrich. From Child Molester Hastert to the Boner to the Weasel, its been a bunch of people kowtowing down to the likes of Tom DeLay and Jim Jordan.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    All of the GOP speakers have been impotent post-Gingrich. From Child Molester Hastert to the Boner to the Weasel, its been a bunch of people kowtowing down to the likes of Tom DeLay and Jim Jordan.
    Yeah, it's setup so the leader of the Freedom Caucus swings the biggest dick and the Speaker is nobody.

Thread Information