Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 116th Congress: Episode 1 - Trial by Fire

Re: 116th Congress: Episode 1 - Trial by Fire

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Not to mention, how do you secure all of the private lands where parts of the wall need to be built? Oh right, eminent domain. Taking people's duly-owned property by force, aka communism.
    That's how Brooklyn built the Barclay Center...
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Illegal v legal immigration. Who would be in favor of illegal?

If the border is porous like tD says, stop the leaks. If you have a better idea than a wall, what is it?
    Like tD says? Really?

We don't really need a, "better idea" to the tune that Donald exaggerates the situation. Nowhere near it. That is not to say we shouldn't do more but until he completely gets over the idea a wall is required there is never going to be any progress made on border security.

Also I don't agree with, "cracking down" on companies that hire illegals as in deportation. I believe for the most part these are not jobs that would be filled by Americans if vacated. Instead I suggest they audit companies in which there are signs of illegal hiring practices. Go into Company A and force every illegal to go through a simple vetting process to validate their eligibility for green card/work permit without forcing them to go home first. Make it a smoother but government sanctioned process that is more efficient than they would otherwise be privy to. If they pass move them along if not send them back.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Also I don't agree with, "cracking down" on companies that hire illegals as in deportation. I believe for the most part these are not jobs that would be filled by Americans if vacated. Instead I suggest they audit companies in which there are signs of illegal hiring practices. Go into Company A and force every illegal to go through a simple vetting process to validate their eligibility for green card/work permit without forcing them to go home first. Make it a smoother but government sanctioned process that is more efficient than they would otherwise be privy to. If they pass move them along if not send them back.
    Agreed, there are massive labor shortages in Oregon and on the coast for a lot of these skilled agricultural jobs after ICE did a few sweeps. I think trying to attract more Americans to these jobs (by compensating fairly) would be better but until that's fixed I really don't see the need to deport people who benefit our society en masse.

Technologieberater FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    I think trying to attract more Americans to these jobs (by compensating fairly) would be better but until that's fixed I really don't see the need to deport people who benefit our society en masse.
    Have fun paying $5-7 for a single avocado or grapefruit, because it's either that, or continue to use migrant labor.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

The cost of labor isn't the sole driver of cost of goods but yes you're probably right that it'd go up.

If the border is porous like tD says
    Narrator: It's not.

The cost of labor isn't the sole driver of cost of goods but yes you're probably right that it'd go up.
    True, and a lot of those jobs are getting replaced with mechanical harvesters. Then you replace some labor costs with some loan payback and/or maintenance costs.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Nancy says: "Don't fck with me, this ain't my first time at the rodeo."

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Nancy says: "Don't fck with me, this ain't my first time at the rodeo."
    I doubt anyone has for quite some time.

So glad she saved the economically illiterate paygo provision

I'm not making the case for or against illegals. That's an independent decision. But if the goal is reduce illegal immigrants, then the companies that hire them should be part of the solution. And today, its less so.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    If you kill the demand for the illegal labor by placing high enough penalties on the employers, then you'll stifle the supply of illegal labor as the laborers will not benefit from being here.
    Totally confused because that was my original point. But no need to reply.
    Go Gophers!

I doubt anyone has for quite some time.
    How droll.

@MacFarlaneNews: TODAY: Maryland emergency commission meets at 11am to start redraw of 6th Congressional district after federal court ruling on gerrymandering

If they redraw the 6th, they'll have to impact the 8th and other adjacent districts. They might as well start with a clean slate and fix the mess that O'Malley & Miller created.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    How droll.
    "When they go low, we ignore" is my resolution for 2019.

So glad she saved the economically illiterate paygo provision
    It's fine if they start framing it correctly. Fee two year college will pay for itself with economic expansion WAY WAY WAY MORE than 1.5 trillion in stock buybacks.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    It's fine if they start framing it correctly. Fee two year college will pay for itself with economic expansion WAY WAY WAY MORE than 1.5 trillion in stock buybacks.
    How is free two year college paying for anything?? I thought kids graduate today and can't get food paying jobs

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/04/u...2BQ6V574igurzk

The day before Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, 29, officially took office in Washington as the youngest woman ever elected to the House of Representatives, video footage from her college days suddenly appeared on the internet.

If the video showing her dancing and twirling barefoot on a rooftop was meant to be an embarrassing leak, it backfired badly.
    Alluding to the culture of reckoning that followed the “Me Too” era and the double standards that affect women and men in the public sphere, the comedian and actor Kumail Nanjiani tweeted:

“Man sexually assaults women in high school: ‘That was so long ago!’ Woman dances in high school: ‘We must set her ablaze.’”
    Way to go conservatives. Attack a woman for dancing on film. Good job. Golf clap.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

The framing of PAYGO is the problem.
    Way to go conservatives. Attack a woman for dancing on film. Good job. Golf clap.

The framing of PAYGO is the problem.
    No, it's not. People just are too stupid to understand it cause they think supply-side. Ayn Rand and the Republicans have polluted people's minds.

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

McConnell says something the Senate voted for unanimously two weeks ago is now a non-starter.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Thread Information