This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    I have no issue with that but if you make both houses population based you make everything that isn't coastal worthless.

Flip the values of the Houses all you want but make them the same and you marginalize everyone not in the big states and that is putting mildly.
    So you'd be ok if the Minnesota State Senate gave some rural county in north west Minnesota the same representation as Hennepin County if they could?

Comment

• Re: 116th Congress: Episode 1 - Trial by Fire

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      I have no issue with that but if you make both houses population based you make everything that isn't coastal worthless.

Flip the values of the Houses all you want but make them the same and you marginalize everyone not in the big states and that is putting mildly.
      I think the issue is that the House will prove to be absolutely toothless without at a minimum of senate majority let alone 60. We will see two years of the administration ignoring and blowing off the Dems in the house. We will see executive actions and maybe a national emergency, but literally nothing the Dems want will happen until a minimum of 2020 if they can find someone to beat Trump. They may take a hollow victory in delaying the Wall, but all that will do is re-energize Trumps believers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        Yeah, the Senate is a necessary evil, getting rid for f it creates more problems than it solves. There are solutions though:

1. Admit DC and Puerto Rico as states.
        2. Change terms to 4 years instead of 6.
        3. Change the election timing so they’re all elected at the same time as Presidential elections.
        4. Limit the scope of bills they can propose and pass while limiting the amount of changes they can make to ones passed in the House.
        5. Increase the House to 600+ seats.
        3 yrs instead of 6, then continue the recycle of 1/3 but every single year.

15yr term limit if you switch houses.
        10 if stay in house
        9 if stay in senate
        (Love this cause it immediately takes out safe seats if you can challenge a colleague die to your time expiring)

Also then after leaving a 5 yr ban on lobbying.
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Then redraw the states to be roughly equal in population.

I have no problem with that. I do have a problem that 40 million Californians have 2 Senators and 40 million midwesterners have 20.

The Constitution privileges rural over urban voters. That is not "equal" representation.
          Dude!!
          We are united STATES. Not United people’s.

Part of our uniqueness is FLA isn’t MI isn’t WY isn’t NM.
          Stop trying to remake the country

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
            And yet it's unconstitutional to have a State Senate set-up in the same manner.

At the least, I would move confirmations from the Senate to the house. Land shouldn't count more than people when deciding who runs the country. Or I'd define "advise and consent" to mean that inaction = consent.
            States are states. Federal is the union of those states. Why compare apples to pumpkins?

Yous is a lawyer, no?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              So you'd be ok if the Minnesota State Senate gave some rural county in north west Minnesota the same representation as Hennepin County if they could?
              Well ignoring the fact that States and Federal Government are different...

No I have no problem with it. That is what the other House is for. Outstate should have a legitimate say, that I might disagree with their say is immaterial.

The fact that you seem to be ok basically telling people who live in the middle of nowhere they should have no say is rather disturbing. And make no mistake, that is exactly what you are saying.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Uh, nope. We're arguing that they absolutely, 100% deserve a proportional say.

Why do you hate democracy?
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Well ignoring the fact that States and Federal Government are different...

No I have no problem with it. That is what the other House is for. Outstate should have a legitimate say, that I might disagree with their say is immaterial.

The fact that you seem to be ok basically telling people who live in the middle of nowhere they should have no say is rather disturbing. And make no mistake, that is exactly what you are saying.
                  I have a problem with 300k people in Wyoming having the same power as 20,000,000 in California. And the only reason we still have it is because of a 275 year old give away to slave states.

And I live in the middle of the country and have for roughly 3/4ths of my life. So it's not like I don't have skin in the game.
                  Last edited by unofan; 02-09-2019, 11:22 AM.

Comment

well golly. that is what the united states are. nobody makes all y'all live there.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      well golly. that is what the united states are. nobody makes all y'all live there.
                      Shorter Roger Taney
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        Shorter Roger Taney
                        Ah, why Catholics can't be trusted, eh??

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          I have a problem with 300k people in Wyoming having the same power as 20,000,000 in California. And the only reason we still have it is because of a 275 year old give away to slave states.

And I live in the middle of the country and have for roughly 3/4ths of my life. So it's not like I don't have skin in the game.
                          And you are welcome to your beliefs as am I.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                            Uh, nope. We're arguing that they absolutely, 100% deserve a proportional say.

Why do you hate democracy?
                            We are not nor have we ever been a Democracy.

Why do you hate America?!
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The heavily populated states that tried 245 years ago to create a system whereby they had the power to jam their half baked ideas down everyone’s throat failed then. They have no chance of getting it now. Why debate it.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

1774?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X