X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 116th Congress: Episode 1 - Trial by Fire

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post

And that is how to do irony.

Like stand-up comedy and fire-eating, please leave it to the professionals.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      BTW speaking as a Jewish person I can tell you Antisemitism is all over the friggin place and that some of you are so ****ed blase about it is kind of sad. I dont think SHE was Antisemitic but I think a lot of the people defending her are dog whistling it more than they realize.
      As I think you would agree, the fact that actual antisemitism is so pervasive makes the Likudniks' using it as a human shield that much more disgusting.
      Cornell University
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I think Omarr needs to be a little less "vocal" on this issue until she gets going.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          I think Omarr needs to be a little less "vocal" on this issue until she gets going.
          On the one hand, that seems like BS because what she said is true: AIPAC is an incredibly powerful lobby, punching far above their weight in terms of American interests yet still somehow getting away with it and flourishing. They're exactly the type of pressure group (Big Pharma, the NRA) who should be exposed for warping American policy.

On the other hand, a first term Muslim woman has to be Jackie F-cking Robinson. It isn't fair, but she's going to have to live a triply perfect life to stand up to the garbage that can be thrown at her to leverage bigotry and hatred. She obviously knows this; she has to step very carefully. It sucks. Totally. But if she wants to call out AIPAC the way they deserve she should find a Jewish Member willing to do it. If she wants to call out DHS for profiling Muslims she should find a Christian Member willing to do it. "Life isn't fair, Princess. Just fairer than death; that's all."
          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            As I think you would agree, the fact that actual antisemitism is so pervasive makes the Likudniks' using it as a human shield that much more disgusting.
            Yes but that isnt the issue here.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Yes but that isnt the issue here.
              Isn't it? My impression is that's exactly what happened here: x had the temerity to call AIPAC out (now, for what particular trigger, that I don't know), the sh-tstorm was deployed to bury the merits of the case in an avalanche of cynical charges of x's antisemitism. The merits of the case for limiting AIPAC's (and by extension, their clients') influence are forgotten.

That's how the game is played. Every lobby does it -- just wait until we try to fix some of the more heinous fiscal giveaways to the rich for them waving the bloody shirt of TEH COMMUNISM!!!1! That is a big part of what a lobby does.
              Cornell University

Comment

On the one hand, that seems like BS because what she said is true: AIPAC is an incredibly powerful lobby, punching far above their weight in terms of American interests yet still somehow getting away with it and flourishing. They're exactly the type of pressure group (Big Pharma, the NRA) who should be exposed for warping American policy.

On the other hand, a first term Muslim woman has to be Jackie F-cking Robinson. It isn't fair, but she's going to have to live a triply perfect life to stand up to the garbage that can be thrown at her to leverage bigotry and hatred. She obviously knows this; she has to step very carefully. It sucks. Totally. But if she wants to call out AIPAC the way they deserve she should find a Jewish Member willing to do it. If she wants to call out DHS for profiling Muslims she should find a Christian Member willing to do it. "Life isn't fair, Princess. Just fairer than death; that's all."
                She would still be under fire if she was a Lilly White Lutheran. She isnt some city councilman she is a Congresswoman. When you hold public office everything you say or do is under a microscope. There is always someone looking to nail you for something so unless you have capital you shut up. That is why Pelosi did the right thing here even if it hurts the New Kids on the Block's feelings a bit. She not only taught her a lesson but also defused the bomb before it blew up in everyone's face.

The fact that she is a Muslim amplified it and definitely fed into it. I guarantee a lot of Jews are questioning whether she is Antisemitic or not now and she brought that on herself. Her apology was aces though so I have no ill will towards her on this (or any) matter.

But I think some of you upset she got ripped for this need to stop and take a major step back. If she was a Trumper and did the same thing, hell if she was a GOPer in any light you all would be destroying them especially you Kep. You wouldnt wait five seconds to post something from TPM about it and show it is further proof they are all racist and you would all disavow the apology. The (D) behind her name is making this way less of a big deal.

And Kep, when I say people are dogwhistling Antisemitism the stuff you are saying is my prime example. I know you arent doing it out of some hatred of Jews which is why I am not attacking you for it but I will point it out to you. No matter what it is about any implication of a "Big Jewish Boogeyman" is never good. It is the same game the Magaytes play with George Soros or the Farrakhan Disciples play with how the Jews own all the banks. Your point gets lost because basically you are saying the "Pelosi Fears the Jew Power So She Shut Omar Up" which is just ridiculous and really offensive. The Jews didnt tell Pelosi to shut Omar up...she did it on her own because Omar put herself in the crosshairs.

Israel is its own issue...but Omar deserved to get her wrist slapped by Mommy Pelosi over this one. And if I lived in Omar's district I would vote for her every election until she quit so I have zero ill will towards her even now because I think she made a frosh mistake.
                Last edited by Handyman; 02-12-2019, 10:09 AM.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

But I think some of you upset she got ripped for this need to stop and take a major step back. If she was a Trumper and did the same thing, hell if she was a GOPer in any light you all would be destroying them especially you Kep.
                  Uh... no, because they would be correct.

Pelosi should be standing behind her on this except she knows members of her party get money from that PAC. If it was Saudi Arabia or Russia being tweeted about nobody would bat an eyelash other than Trump.
                  Last edited by trixR4kids; 02-12-2019, 10:35 AM.

Comment

And Kep, when I say people are dogwhistling Antisemitism the stuff you are saying is my prime example. I know you arent doing it out of some hatred of Jews which is why I am not attacking you for it but I will point it out to you. No matter what it is about any implication of a "Big Jewish Boogeyman" is never good. It is the same game the Magaytes play with George Soros or the Farrakhan Disciples play with how the Jews own all the banks. Your point gets lost because basically you are saying the "Jews Used Their Power to Shut Her Up" which is just ridiculous and really offensive. The Jews didnt tell Pelosi to shut Omar up...she did it on her own because Omar put herself in the crosshairs.
                    I think I understand what you are saying. But there's a problem with the logic someplace, as if I shouldn't be a vegan now because Hitler was one.

It has to be OK to discuss the possibility that x is actually acting in some way P even in an environment in which bad actors indiscriminately accuse x of P as part of their campaign of bigotry. There actually are some Irish alcoholics, and there actually are some entities deployed by forces within Israel to buy off or threaten US pols in order to obtain their policy goals.

The irony is the AIPAC stooges themselves are probably WASPs working for some blue-blood K Street firm which either was or even still is antisemitic.
                    Cornell University

Comment

The irony is the AIPAC stooges themselves are probably WASPs working for some blue-blood K Street firm which either was or even still is antisemitic.
                      Gots ta bring about the end of days.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          She would still be under fire if she was a Lilly White Lutheran. She isnt some city councilman she is a Congresswoman. When you hold public office everything you say or do is under a microscope. There is always someone looking to nail you for something so unless you have capital you shut up. That is why Pelosi did the right thing here even if it hurts the New Kids on the Block's feelings a bit. She not only taught her a lesson but also defused the bomb before it blew up in everyone's face.

The fact that she is a Muslim amplified it and definitely fed into it. I guarantee a lot of Jews are questioning whether she is Antisemitic or not now and she brought that on herself. Her apology was aces though so I have no ill will towards her on this (or any) matter.

But I think some of you upset she got ripped for this need to stop and take a major step back. If she was a Trumper and did the same thing, hell if she was a GOPer in any light you all would be destroying them especially you Kep. You wouldnt wait five seconds to post something from TPM about it and show it is further proof they are all racist and you would all disavow the apology. The (D) behind her name is making this way less of a big deal.

And Kep, when I say people are dogwhistling Antisemitism the stuff you are saying is my prime example. I know you arent doing it out of some hatred of Jews which is why I am not attacking you for it but I will point it out to you. No matter what it is about any implication of a "Big Jewish Boogeyman" is never good. It is the same game the Magaytes play with George Soros or the Farrakhan Disciples play with how the Jews own all the banks. Your point gets lost because basically you are saying the "Pelosi Fears the Jew Power So She Shut Omar Up" which is just ridiculous and really offensive. The Jews didnt tell Pelosi to shut Omar up...she did it on her own because Omar put herself in the crosshairs.

Israel is its own issue...but Omar deserved to get her wrist slapped by Mommy Pelosi over this one. And if I lived in Omar's district I would vote for her every election until she quit so I have zero ill will towards her even now because I think she made a frosh mistake.
                          So what is the proper way to call out AIPAC for having outsized influence due to their lobbying efforts, including the expenditure of large sums of money, in a manner similar to the NRA, Americans for Prosperity, etc., if we can't point out the expenditure of such sums without being accused of stereotyping and being anti-semetic?

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                            Gots ta bring about the end of days.
                            Different gentiles. The K Street Christians worship mammon. So, Episcopalians I guess?
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              So what is the proper way to call out AIPAC for having outsized influence due to their lobbying efforts, including the expenditure of large sums of money, in a manner similar to the NRA, Americans for Prosperity, etc., if we can't point out the expenditure of such sums without being accused of stereotyping and being anti-semetic?
                              I dunno...I am just telling you how it looks. Maybe if every argument made against Jews wasnt how they are part of some vast conspiracy you wouldnt have this problem. Blame the Antisemites and their lack of creativity not me.

I do find it ironic though how the Left doesnt have the same zeal for defending certain groups over others though. If this was a situation where Muslim stereotypes were used the Left would be up in arms for days screaming how insensitive it was. (and rightfully so) Christ anyone even mentions anything tangentially close to being a racial slur against a Black the Left is ready to go to War and tar and feather the person. (again rightfully so, myself included) All I am pointing out is this is a similar scenario and they would be wise to watch the way they say things because as we have all said a million times, optics matter.

I am all for not supporting Likud and much of the antics of Israel (though they arent even the worst ally we have in the MidEast despite how bad the Left paints them sometimes) because they bring that crap on themselves. I mean it would be nice if the Left held other actors in the region to the same standard but everyone has their ox to gore that is how politics works so that is the price for playing the game. The GOP only supports Israel because the Evangelicals need to it for the return of their White Messiah. But just know, and I say this as a Jewish Liberal, you need to pay better attention to the rhetoric used or it will bite you in the *** later on.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Fox News host Sean Hannity took aim at reports of an immigration and border security compromise between Democrats and Republicans in Congress shortly after the deal was announced Monday night and before any details were publicly available.

In a segment on his show, Hannity warned that any Republican supporting a compromise with Democrats that did not involve funding for President Trump's planned wall along the Mexican border would "have to explain" their positions.

"By the way on this new so-called compromise, I am getting details ... $1.3 billion?" Hannity asked, referring to a figure reportedly agreed upon by lawmakers that is far lower than Trump has demanded for border security funding.

"That's not a— not even a wall, a barrier?" Hannity continued. "I'm going to tell [you] this tonight we will get back into this tomorrow. Any Republican that supports this garbage compromise, you will have to explain [it.]"
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X