X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2018-2019: Souza the Opportunity or Louza the Opportunity

Big putt, drained it!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
      It is on golf central now. Different announcers maybe?
      Golf Channel does the early part of the round. Then when CBS comes on the entire production switches to the CBS crew with Jim Nantz, Nick Faldo, Gary McCord, Dottie Pepper, Ian Baker-Finch, etc. This way (because the network is usually limited to four hours or so), the golf junkies can see the early round with some of the non-contenders.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        Hope you have a LOT of money. So here's my sad story (anybody who is not interested can stop reading here ) My father-in-law lives outside of San Francisco. I went out there with my $300 cash (the price at the time) ready to play. It was a Tuesday and it's purportedly a "public course." The 17-mile drive in Monterey goes right through the front nine. I walked into the clubhouse and was ready to put my money down. I was REALLY excited...I had been waiting for years to get a chance to play there. The attendant says, "There are no openings." I replied, "What are you talking about? There's nobody on the course." Then he said, "Are you staying at one of our resorts?" Oh...I get it. There's the rub. So it's not really "public." So, you might say, why not just spend a night there and play? Well....it's only about $750/night to stay. So I went down the road and played Poppy Hills instead (which was just aerated and in lousy condition). One of the biggest disappointments of my life. My point is, if you plan to play there, think about saving about 5 grand between airfare, lodging and everything else.
        Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Evidently you have managed another tie old ecat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Barring some amazing developments down the stretch, it's hard to see any of UVM, UConn or Merrimack getting back into playoff contention. UVM probably is the most likely of the group to prove otherwise, but you get the sense they started their push a week or two too late. As long as Luce ends up on the bottom of the pile, all is fine in the WIS world.

From UNH's standpoint, the only team I do NOT want to see them facing in the QF round is UMass Lowell. UMass Amherst is not a program with any real tourney experience, and BC (currently 3rd) seems particularly ripe for a first round upset, while most of the others are struggling to find consistent form (ditto UNH these last few weekends, too). UNH should enter the HE tourney with zero pressure, and a steady diet of postseason style, grind-it-out hockey over their last 5 RS games, so they should be ready, and could be poised to surprise someone.

But a series in Lowell? As a long-standing Bazin Believer, I say ABUML ...
            Chuck, by the time the playoffs start, BC will not have home ice. Their schedule is too daunting.

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
              Peter Kostis just gave props to UNH during the Pebble Beach tournament on CBS. He mentioned two other people that went to UNH but I didnt catch who they are.

Kostis went to UNH on a football scholarship.
              I had no idea until yesterday that Kostis, from Sanford ME went to UNH and played football. I’d love to know the career projectory that sent him from Yankee Conference football to one of the premier golf teachers in the country. The other guy who went to UNH was the amateur who was in the final group with Phil. He’s a big exec with Fed Ex, a 14 handicapper who was playing pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                Chuck, by the time the playoffs start, BC will not have home ice. Their schedule is too daunting.
                Who's going to pass them? (and it would have to be TWO teams to knock them out of home ice, since they're currently third - remember, tonight's game doesn't count in the standings)

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  Who's going to pass them? (and it would have to be TWO teams to knock them out of home ice, since they're currently third - remember, tonight's game doesn't count in the standings)
                  Check out their schedule. The have two left with Northeastern (besides the Beanpot), two with UMass, two at Maine, and finish at Providence. Northeastern, now in fifth two points behind BC, has three with UNH, two at home vs. UVM, plus the two against BC. My guess is we’ll either play UMass or Lowell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                    I had no idea until yesterday that Kostis, from Sanford ME went to UNH and played football. I’d love to know the career projectory that sent him from Yankee Conference football to one of the premier golf teachers in the country. The other guy who went to UNH was the amateur who was in the final group with Phil. He’s a big exec with Fed Ex, a 14 handicapper who was playing pretty well.
                    I had no idea either. Thanks for the info on the other guy as well Greg. Interesting stuff.
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      Hope you have a LOT of money. So here's my sad story (anybody who is not interested can stop reading here ) My father-in-law lives outside of San Francisco. I went out there with my $300 cash (the price at the time) ready to play. It was a Tuesday and it's purportedly a "public course." The 17-mile drive in Monterey goes right through the front nine. I walked into the clubhouse and was ready to put my money down. I was REALLY excited...I had been waiting for years to get a chance to play there. The attendant says, "There are no openings." I replied, "What are you talking about? There's nobody on the course." Then he said, "Are you staying at one of our resorts?" Oh...I get it. There's the rub. So it's not really "public." So, you might say, why not just spend a night there and play? Well....it's only about $750/night to stay. So I went down the road and played Poppy Hills instead (which was just aerated and in lousy condition). One of the biggest disappointments of my life. My point is, if you plan to play there, think about saving about 5 grand between airfare, lodging and everything else.

My Pebble Beach story is that in 1992, my wife and I took a trip from San Fran to Pebble Beach just to check it out as it had been on my bucket list and the US Open was scheduled to be there the following week. So we went into the club house to get a souvenir scorecard only to be standing next to Nick Faldo. Faldo kindly signed the scorecard and went on to finish tied for fourth at the Open at +3.

BTW, I've played Torre Pines in San Diego several times and it is also a public course.
                      Last edited by e.cat; 02-11-2019, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                        My Pebble Beach story is that in 1992, my wife and I took a trip from San Fran to Pebble Beach just to check it out as it had been on my bucket list and the US Open was scheduled to be there the following week. So we went into the club house to get a souvenir scorecard only to be standing next to Nick Faldo. Faldo kindly signed the scorecard and went on to finish tied for fourth at the Open at +3.

BTW, I've played Torre Pines in San Diego several times and it is also a public course.
                        Never played either Pebble or Torrey Pines but I have a story about both. A good friend of mine was out in SF with his wife and they decided to take the drive down to Monterey for the day. He walked into the Pebble pro shot, intending to just buy a shirt or a cap when the guy behind the counter asked he was interested in playing because “we have an opening for a fourth in a group teeing off in a half hour. He looked at his wife and she said “go ahead, I’lll do some shopping.” He had no equipment so rented shoes and clubs, bought gloves and some balls then went out and birdied the first hole. Wound up shooting 110 or so but it was a thrill of a lifetime.

Torrey Pines involves me and my wife. We stopped at the course on our way into San Diego near the end of a trip down the coast from SF. We pull into the parking lot, get out and this young guy, college age, pulls up in a multi seat golf cart and offers to give us a tour of the south course. I could tell almost immediately that this was an under the table side gig for him but how else we would get on the course that day. He took us to the par 3 where it looks like you are hitting into the ocean, down the fairway where you can see the hand gliding and, finally, the par 5 18th. Did not get to play but I will. As stated, TP is a public course ($65 for residents, double that for non-residents). Just have to make that tee time in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                          Never played either Pebble or Torrey Pines but I have a story about both. A good friend of mine was out in SF with his wife and they decided to take the drive down to Monterey for the day. He walked into the Pebble pro shot, intending to just buy a shirt or a cap when the guy behind the counter asked he was interested in playing because “we have an opening for a fourth in a group teeing off in a half hour. He looked at his wife and she said “go ahead, I’lll do some shopping.” He had no equipment so rented shoes and clubs, bought gloves and some balls then went out and birdied the first hole. Wound up shooting 110 or so but it was a thrill of a lifetime.

Torrey Pines involves me and my wife. We stopped at the course on our way into San Diego near the end of a trip down the coast from SF. We pull into the parking lot, get out and this young guy, college age, pulls up in a multi seat golf cart and offers to give us a tour of the south course. I could tell almost immediately that this was an under the table side gig for him but how else we would get on the course that day. He took us to the par 3 where it looks like you are hitting into the ocean, down the fairway where you can see the hand gliding and, finally, the par 5 18th. Did not get to play but I will. As stated, TP is a public course ($65 for residents, double that for non-residents). Just have to make that tee time in advance.
                          Great stories Greg.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post

Thanks. Now I feel worse... ...but I'm happy for you... Jeez...my brother-in-law is a member of the Northern California Golf Association and has marshalled for over 15 years. He was there this week and will also be there for the Open in June. HE can't get me on the course...some guys have all the luck (sounds like a song)
                            Last edited by chickod; 02-11-2019, 01:35 PM.

Comment

WHAT in ****ation has happened to this message board??? Golf? GOLF?? GOLF???? Criminy...just as our boys are finally starting to find their way, all of you carpetbaggin' nincompoops have turned this place into a discussion of THE most God-forsaken sport on all of God's green Earth. Horse-patookey, I tell ya, HORSE-PATOOKEY!!! Now git your collective heads outta yer butts, and let's have some hockey talk, ya hear??? Golf.....Lord help me.

GIT OFF MY LAWN!! I WON'T SAY IT AGAIN, DAG-NAMMIT!!
                              I'm old, I'm grouchy, GIT OVER IT!!
                              AND GIT OFF MY T-HALL LAWN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GrouchyUNHer View Post
                                WHAT in ****ation has happened to this message board??? Golf? GOLF?? GOLF???? Criminy...just as our boys are finally starting to find their way, all of you carpetbaggin' nincompoops have turned this place into a discussion of THE most God-forsaken sport on all of God's green Earth. Horse-patookey, I tell ya, HORSE-PATOOKEY!!! Now git your collective heads outta yer butts, and let's have some hockey talk, ya hear??? Golf.....Lord help me.

GIT OFF MY LAWN!! I WON'T SAY IT AGAIN, DAG-NAMMIT!!
                                How about that Beanpot????
                                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Working...
                                X