This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2018-2019: Souza the Opportunity or Louza the Opportunity

Thanks for a good evening at the Whitt, it was fun. Hopefully will be back next year!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      I was really impressed by the crowd tonight; nearly a full house like the good ole days. I thought that Vela's third star of the game was well deserved; best that I have seen him play. I did not think that the game had much flow, with constant broken plays in both directions, and a lot of jamming around both nets. I thought that both goalies played really well, with the edge to Swayman, as he saw a lot more rubber. It appears that UVM has risen from the dead, taking home three points from Providence this weekend. The Gutt now seems a bit more daunting next weekend than it did to me 30 hours ago. Thanks for the ticket, e.cat. As I was hanging out near the ticket windows, a lot of single tickets were being given away; no scalping, yet?
      Providence outshot UVM, 81-40, on the weekend, managing just two goals in two games.

The Stefanos Lekkas effect is a real thing. I did not see UVM this weekend, but I've seen them a couple times live and a few times on TV. UNH is just better. UVM was dismal here in CO, but they split with CC because Lekkas was unbelievable. On a better team he would be not only a Hobey candidate, but perhaps a favorite - he's been that good. He had one recent stretch where he gave up 15 (25% of his season total) in three games, but he's back to his old self the last four.

My prediction is UNH will win one game next weekend and Lekkas will steal the other...
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

This weekend was a nice reminder of what used to be between UNH and UMaine, and a taunting tease at what it could be again, if the two programs can continue to progress up the HE and D-1 ladders. When Gildon buried that wrister (geez, what's up with the offense off of the O-zone faceoffs, guys? That's not a UNH "thing"! ) to cut the lead to one late, watching from home here in the wilds of Effingwoods, it felt like The Whitt was rumbling with seismic activity, just begging for an equalizer.

That it didn't come - and UMaine salted it away - almost doesn't matter. Watching MS7 behind the bench down the stretch, just pulling out all the stops, and listening to Patrick Foley explaining to the NESN audience about letting your best guys get out there and be creative … it just felt like a nice throwback to the Really Good Ol' Days. And as a reminder, this was the Border War between two teams at the bottom of the HE playoff seedings. Remember when it used to be between two teams further up the same ladder, and these games were for more than playoff positioning? For our newbies, this was a taste of what could be, and for us old-timers, it was a slight reminder of what things used to be like, and a precursor of what might be again in the future, on a bigger scale, hopefully for UNH … and just ever slightly less so for the old enemy from Orono.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Want to echo what Chuck and others said about the weekend; the 'Whitt was alive and we were treated to two hard hitting games. UNH fans need to know that our coaching staff is pulling out all the stops to find talent to continue what is going on this season...which in itself has been extremely encouraging! Heard that asst. coach Jeff G is heading out for a 10 day trip to Europe to recruit.. It's more than clear we are indeed on the right path and have a HC who's up to the task and willing to do whatever it takes to make it happen.

UVM will be another great test and Dan's right...they have a for real goal tender in Lekkas and they are riding some good hockey right now with their PC weekend. Going to be a wild race to the finish in HE!!!!
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Hearing Souza talk to the Friends of UNH hockey last night was very refreshing. He isn't as stiff and guarded as Umile used to be. He didn't talk about bounces of the puck and other ways of skirting the issues. He was blunt that Maine out played UNH last night was tougher on the boards and hungrier in general and that the team knows it.

He didn't say it in these words BUT essentially said on Monday it is "on to Vermont" with a tough week of practice to prepare.

I am more impressed by Souza than I have been. Now if the recruiting can just get over the hump.
            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Kudos to the women's team as they swept UMaine Black Bears today winning 3-2. Heard the game was 'quite chippy' with 'fisticuffs'. Good for them!

Comment

Haven't seen a clear definition of what a cupcake is but I know the Patriots are not a cupcake.

GO PATS!!
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  This weekend was a nice reminder of what used to be between UNH and UMaine, and a taunting tease at what it could be again, if the two programs can continue to progress up the HE and D-1 ladders.
                  I don't remember seeing a University of Maine table setup in the Whitt lobby during "the good 'ol days"

Comment

#SuperBowlHalftime sucked worse than the game itself!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                      #SuperBowlHalftime sucked worse than the game itself!
                      ...and that's not sayin' much!!!

Comment

Jeezum Crow that was cool!

Comment

Apparently this was the lowest scoring game in Super Bowl history but the greatest margin of victory for all the Pats wins.

Comment

Originally posted by UNH 98 View Post
                            I don't remember seeing a University of Maine table setup in the Whitt lobby during "the good 'ol days"
                            Nor do I assume that Maine has their cheerleaders skate on the ice anymore with a "University of No Hardware" banner. I was in Orono for that game and one of my friends wrote a letter the following week to the Maine AD asking if the taunt was the official University of Maine position on their rivalry with UNH. He wrote a letter of apology to not only my friend but to Marty Scarano as well.

Now, this weekend UNH will travel to Burlington for two games at UVM. I was there several years ago when the student section started chanting FU (both words) New Hampshire. It forced the AD and, I believe, the university president to sit in the student section, babysitting their children. I'm assuming that won't be required this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by UNH 98 View Post
                              Let's be clear on why Saturday was a sell out. Kudos to the student section for responding when the ME fans began their victory chant.
                              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Interesting article!

https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-...st-frozen-four article!

Comment

Working...
                                X