This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2018-2019: Souza the Opportunity or Louza the Opportunity

Souza probably knows a bit more about hockey than you or any of us on this board. If you were the coach and knew hockey, you would know that Gildon would be the first player on our team that you would recruit for your team. Northeastern is a very good team and we were in the game until the end. Let us hope for a better outcome tonight. Kudos to Vela, BVR, MacAdams line. MacAdams is a difference maker.

Comment

I only caught the part of the game on NESN+ after UNH took a 3-1 lead. So it's all my fault. Problem solved.

Northeastern looked sharp, and always looked like they were a step ahead of UNH for the last, what, 30 minutes of the game? UNH looked sluggish and a step behind. Some really weak defending in front of Robinson, and it looks like Robinson let in a couple he'd like to have back. So, other than for the Vela line, it was a crappy night for the 'Cats against a strong opponent that's playing with confidence.

Tonight offers the opportunity for a quick turnaround and redemption for the hosts. This game will tell us more about UNH than last night's game did. In retrospect, I'm not sure why more of us (myself included) didn't see it coming. A weekend off at this time of the season was a dreadful idea. There's no break or "rest" necessary when you're only playing two games a week, and the giveaway on the lack of continuity was far worse than any perceived benefit of having this weirdly-timed break.

At least in the days of the MBPBEGAM "playoffs", the reward of having a weekend off was given to the top 3-4 teams, who would then be rewarded with consecutive home games against lesser opponents. This weekend, the "reward" for an 8th place team was a home series, check, against a team that's on the cusp of the Top Ten, looks like a serious HE/NCAA postseason contender, and just won its 2nd straight "Jack Parker Invitational Tourney".

Serious question: who gets final say on the HE schedule? 'Cuz an off weekend last week was a really dumb idea ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Huskies pounce on UNH mistakes, win 6-3:
        https://www.unionleader.com/sports/c...0cf41b4aa.html
        “They took it to us the second half of the game,” UNH coach Mike Souza said of the Huskies. “They’re an NCAA tournament team. They’re well coached. They’ve got a lot of skill. They’ve got a great goalie. And you can’t beat yourself against those types of teams and we did that (Friday).”

All you need to know.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          I only caught the part of the game on NESN+ after UNH took a 3-1 lead. So it's all my fault. Problem solved.

Northeastern looked sharp, and always looked like they were a step ahead of UNH for the last, what, 30 minutes of the game? UNH looked sluggish and a step behind. Some really weak defending in front of Robinson, and it looks like Robinson let in a couple he'd like to have back. So, other than for the Vela line, it was a crappy night for the 'Cats against a strong opponent that's playing with confidence.

Tonight offers the opportunity for a quick turnaround and redemption for the hosts. This game will tell us more about UNH than last night's game did. In retrospect, I'm not sure why more of us (myself included) didn't see it coming. A weekend off at this time of the season was a dreadful idea. There's no break or "rest" necessary when you're only playing two games a week, and the giveaway on the lack of continuity was far worse than any perceived benefit of having this weirdly-timed break.

At least in the days of the MBPBEGAM "playoffs", the reward of having a weekend off was given to the top 3-4 teams, who would then be rewarded with consecutive home games against lesser opponents. This weekend, the "reward" for an 8th place team was a home series, check, against a team that's on the cusp of the Top Ten, looks like a serious HE/NCAA postseason contender, and just won its 2nd straight "Jack Parker Invitational Tourney".

Serious question: who gets final say on the HE schedule? 'Cuz an off weekend last week was a really dumb idea ...
          You can never, ever count out the Huskies...not with the way they've been playing, not with their current skaters. That said...last night I told some friends one of three things are going to happen: Cats win in a close one, lose in a close one, or, the bye week is going to hurt and they (NU) make us pay. But so what, as Darius says; Souza says it all; they lost to a team that was more up to the task last night and you can't play poorly against a team like that. Totally agree Chuck...what they do tonight in response is huge. And I have really loved Souza's honesty all season long...

And as for Max? He's not the reason why we lost. Not his best night, but it wasn't the best night for a few other players. We got scored on 2 powerplays, and had a shortie. He doesn't comprise the entirety of our special teams!!! That's not on him. We tend to hold him to the highest standards and that's to be expected when you are a great player...but think about it..he's 19/20 years old. Anyway...I think of the lyrics to "When I'm Gone" in regard to him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjcOzqxu4JQ

Looking forward to catching a few of the usual suspects at Libby's pre-game! Met some nice NU fans there last night. Let's go 'Cats!!
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-23-2019, 09:23 AM.
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            Until we start calling for everyone who has a bad night, or commits a turnover, to be benched you're just proving my point that Gildon is the best player on the team - an elite talent and a difference maker. Lot of players had bad nights in their own end and all five guys on both PP units were lousy. So, why are we only benching Gildon?

Likely because you know darn well how good he is. And your expectation for him is sky high. He isn't perfect and he wasn't good tonight (same could be said for nearly the entire team outside of BVR). Big deal it's one game against a good team (much better than UNH)...

Sure doesn't take much for the pendulum to swing from Souza has got this team dominating to the team is mailing it in and the best players don't care...

Maybe, just maybe, there is something to the argument about who they'd been playing since the Miami series - and who theyre facing in their final five...
            Dan, I absolutely hold Gildon to a higher standard, much in the same way I held JVR to a higher standard when he played for UNH. The common denominator is that both players have NHL talent, but for whatever reason seem to be "holding something back". Maybe it's just me, but obviously others are seeing the same thing.

Perhaps I will just relax my expectations going forward and just let this team evolve as it should. I'm happy that they are in the playoffs.
            UNH

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              You can never, ever count out the Huskies...not with the way they've been playing, not with their current skaters. That said...last night I told some friends one of three things are going to happen: Cats win in a close one, lose in a close one, or, the bye week is going to hurt and they (NU) make us pay. But so what, as Darius says; Souza says it all; they lost to a team that was more up to the task last night and you can't play poorly against a team like that. Totally agree Chuck...what they do tonight in response is huge. And I have really loved Souza's honesty all season long...

And as for Max? He's not the reason why we lost. Not his best night, but it wasn't the best night for a few other players. We got scored on 2 powerplays, and had a shortie. He doesn't comprise the entirety of our special teams!!! That's not on him. We tend to hold him to the highest standards and that's to be expected when you are a great player...but think about it..he's 19/20 years old. Anyway...I think of the lyrics to "When I'm Gone" in regard to him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjcOzqxu4JQ

Looking forward to catching a few of the usual suspects at Libby's pre-game! Met some nice NU fans there last night. Let's go 'Cats!!
              I have been thinking about last night ever since the final minutes of the game. We were/are all disappointed. Upon further thought about the entire game I now can frame it in a different light for myself. Yes we got off to a wonderful start and were carrying the play for the first 25/30 minutes. We (the team and all us UNH fans) got secure and feeling good. Some probably thinking, hey they can be beat, look we are out shooting and spending equal or better time in their end. Then someone kicked the dog and they started forcing our defensive breakdowns. We still were not totally on our heels but let them chip at us until we did break. Not the best game for several, but not a horrible game either. Our 3 line ability has been slipping the past few games, not sure why but one line seems to emerge every game and we need all 3 to win.
              Lets do it tonight! 4-3. Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post
                I am pretty disappointed in the team's performance tonight just like most of you. Since I recorded the game I am going to go back and watch it again. When watching a game live our eyes have a tendency to play tricks on us. The special teams were a big disappointment. We got scored on each of our first two penalty kills. Then we got scored against on our first power play. Two weeks working on the special teams made things worse, not better.
                When you have half the talent of the other team, you need to capitalize on whatever chances you have and, conversely, not give your opponent needless opportunities. Northeastern"s first two goals were on power plays, a too many men and a delay of game for covering up the puck in front of the net. To me both are inexcusable. It's one thing to take a penalty when the other team is about to score, but just handing them man advantages is a recipe for disaster. Once it got to 3-2 I knew we were doomed. Northeastern is a very good team. They were a tournament team last year and, although they lost their first line to the NHL, they have a lot of skilled players back. They have a World Junior goalie and two others who are sons of NHLers. We have none of that.

As for Gildon, I heard second hand last night that he is playing with some sort of shoulder harness that limits his ability to shoot and check. Anyone else heard that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                  When you have half the talent of the other team, you need to capitalize on whatever chances you have and, conversely, not give your opponent needless opportunities. Northeastern"s first two goals were on power plays, a too many men and a delay of game for covering up the puck in front of the net. To me both are inexcusable. It's one thing to take a penalty when the other team is about to score, but just handing them man advantages is a recipe for disaster. Once it got to 3-2 I knew we were doomed. Northeastern is a very good team. They were a tournament team last year and, although they lost their first line to the NHL, they have a lot of skilled players back. They have a World Junior goalie and two others who are sons of NHLers. We have none of that.

As for Gildon, I heard second hand last night that he is playing with some sort of shoulder harness that limits his ability to shoot and check. Anyone else heard that?
                  Well, that sounds like a plausible excuse for Gildon's -3; what about Blackburn's -3? Simply cannot have your two best players -3 in any hockey game. Were they both on the ice for the shortie?

Positives are that we scored three times against a top goalie in Cayden Primeau. And, over the past few games, our third line has been providing some offensive punch.

Comment

After watching the game from last night again these are the things that stood out for me:

1. We lost a few defensive zone face-offs so badly that NU got a quality shot off within a second or two of the official dropping the puck.
                    2. We were ahead 3-1 in the game in the second period, but NU still had the territorial advantage in play to that point. We were very opportunistic on our three goals.
                    3. The coaches changed up how they played certain players in certain game situations from what they did earlier in the season.
                    4. The 40/50 seconds after pulling the goalie at the end of the game was by far the most offensive pressure we put on NU all game. It appeared the strategy was to feed the puck to Gildon for a shot, have players in the slot to screen the goalie and for deflections and be in a good position to retrieve the puck to do it all again. Gildon had more shot attempts on that shift than the previous 57 plus minutes of this game and the previous two games combined. I would like to explore this in more depth after tonight's game.

Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                      There was a lot of conversation here that Gildon's injury may/would require surgery either during or after the season, so i don't think it's too much of a reach to imagine he's playing through something relatively serious...

---

The reality of last night is UNH whiffed on special teams. Even still, they're top-20 in both the PP and PK and fourth overall in combined special teams. That's a big part of why they've been winning, but the way they performed in those situations last night isn't beating anyone...

UNH has bounced back towards the middle of the pack - but, they still have just one win over a top-30 PWR opponent (Maine) and one win over a .500+ team (Bentley). There is still a long way to go and NU/UML are tournament teams. It's going to be a difficult finish. Those TEAMS are simply better than this TEAM...
                      Last edited by Dan; 02-23-2019, 03:27 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Dagnammit.......

Any of you lame-brained flatlanders that think Gildon is to blame for last night's cow dung on the ice, then I got some swampland in Pittsfield that I'd like to sell ya. Fer chrissakes, there is PLENTY of blame to spread around, starting with Coach Sooooza and his inability to settle his troops down when the pressure is on. Kinda sounds like his old boss, don't it?? We should be gal-durned lucky to have a player like Gildon on the team!!

So do me a favor and just SHADDUP, ALL OF YOUZE!!!

GO CATS!!!!!
                        I'm old, I'm grouchy, GIT OVER IT!!
                        AND GIT OFF MY T-HALL LAWN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GrouchyUNHer View Post
                          Dagnammit.......

Any of you lame-brained flatlanders that think Gildon is to blame for last night's cow dung on the ice, then I got some swampland in Pittsfield that I'd like to sell ya. Fer chrissakes, there is PLENTY of blame to spread around, starting with Coach Sooooza and his inability to settle his troops down when the pressure is on. Kinda sounds like his old boss, don't it?? We should be gal-durned lucky to have a player like Gildon on the team!!

So do me a favor and just SHADDUP, ALL OF YOUZE!!!

GO CATS!!!!!
                          We've got better swampland for sale here in Effingwoods than they've got up in Pittsfield.

… jeez, talk about the Land That Time Forgot, 'splains a lot 'bout GUNHer …
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Taylor in net go ‘Cats!!
                            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Big crowd tonight. :-)

Comment

• NU was 5-for-10 on their PP, this weekend, and UNH was 0-for-7 with a SHG against...

* correction two SHG
                                Last edited by Dan; 02-23-2019, 08:47 PM.
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X