This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2018-2019: Souza the Opportunity or Louza the Opportunity

Let’s go 4 in a row!!! Great job ‘Cats digging deep and finding a way to win a scrappy match up. Onto Yale!!!
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      A win is a win is a win. Getting rid of the losing stench of most of the last 12 months is essential. Wins like tonight - missing your best player, running into a hot goalie, chasing the game from the outset - can be more important than a comfortable blowout. It's so important for them to get the winning habit, and the belief and mentality that every game is a winnable game. It hasn't been that way for awhile. Great to see this latest burst, let's hope the program develops a new welcome habit of finishing up strong.

Hey '65, Babcock's dad's name isn't "Scott". You can look it up, though, it's still on the Stanley Cup.
      Oops, I am confusing names of his father and coach. Mike Babcock (Sr) sent JvR outta Toronto, right?

Comment

A nice win, the one we needed this weekend in the chase for a playoff spot where we control our own destiny. We ran into a poor team that wanted a win for their coach against his old team. Good timing on Maass' return. Hickey skated 1 or 2 shifts (?). Sato may be the unsung hero of this team. The last two games felt like they should have been larger margins of victory. Kudos to the 'cats for competing hard to secure wins in both. How was the first (non) goal call overturned? As one who would be fine eliminating all video reviews in all sports, I found Borek's post review challenge annoying.
        Last edited by Darius; 01-05-2019, 02:54 PM.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Can we just talk about the impact Gildon has on the team, in all aspects. Last night, against Merrimack, without him, the PP looked fairly pathetic, as did breakouts and play in transition. We all talk about his play, sometimes in frustration, but it was really apparent tonight his positive impact.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHProf View Post
            Can we just talk about the impact Gildon has on the team, in all aspects. Last night, against Merrimack, without him, the PP looked fairly pathetic, as did breakouts and play in transition. We all talk about his play, sometimes in frustration, but it was really apparent tonight his positive impact.
            It was more than obvious what he contributes to the team, esp on the PP as you mention. His ability to skate into the zone is second to none on the team, although I did see Rich Boyd do a great job of that last night. No player 'sees the ice' like Max does (at least IMHO). Here's hoping he's not out too long...

On another note I'd like to see Anthony Wyse take fewer penalties that lead to 5 on 3 opps...not that those happen all the time with him of course but we can't afford those moving forward. I'm all for his aggressiveness etc, but it's costly. Perhaps he's showing he has what it takes to play in the next level?
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Wyse is without a doubt looking more and more like a NHL-caliber defenseman. He still needs to improve on his footwork and quickness, but I do think his hockey sense is quite good. His size will be attractive.

Comment

Wyse is without a doubt looking more and more like a NHL-caliber defenseman. He still needs to improve on his footwork and quickness, but I do think his hockey sense is quite good. His size will be attractive.
                Yes, no doubt about that! Glad he came aboard when he did. Just like to see less of him in the box, esp for majors. Of course it's the nature of the game, and, luckily last night we were up for the test and the 'Mack PP wasn't effective enough. Tonight's gonna be a battle and we'll need all hands on deck, even without the two Yale standouts.
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Bloodshed at the top of the table last night - St. Cloud blown out by Union, Mass taken down by Lowell, Qpac goes down in OT... let’s keep climbing. Yale can get us to .500. Would be nice
                  Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                    I didn't see the puck but it appeared to me that Vogler covered it up in the net clearly before the whistle blew.
                    Missed the game (in person) that i but on a play like this one it is nice to see the replay over and over. My take is as follows. While there was not conclusive evidence on film and the official behind the net (Murphy?) was clear in his denial that it was a goal. Once you start that waiving motion you have declared, but I think as he was doing the motion he did see it over the line. Still no conclusive evidence. However, under review it is very clear that the whistle had not been blown as he waive,s it off but he knows he had in fact seen it over the line. So the whistle decides, it not the waive off! i guess?

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2018-2019: Souza the Opportunity or Louza the Opportunity

Gildon was clearly missed. It was obvious on the first PP but against Merrimack they worked it out. Five forwards on the PP is not ideal, but it also worked out OK.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNHProf View Post
                        Agree entirely, as my thoughts exactly the same while watching on NESN, which I think was well produced last night. I liked Sato on his blue line shifts, and I thought that MacKinnon and Verrier played well together. But, none of the other blue liners can contribute like Gildon.

Also, as far as I know, Joe Snively is not related to A. Barr "Whoop" Snively, although Whoop had a daughter named Virginia, and Joe is from the state of Virginia.
                        Last edited by Snively65; 01-05-2019, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          On another note I'd like to see Anthony Wyse take fewer penalties that lead to 5 on 3 opps...not that those happen all the time with him of course but we can't afford those moving forward. I'm all for his aggressiveness etc, but it's costly. Perhaps he's showing he has what it takes to play in the next level?
                          FWIW I think Wyse will develop into a solid AHL player who (with the right organization) could make it onto a 3rd pairing in the NHL at some point. As the Prof points out, he's got room for improvement, but his size will at least register NHL-level interest, and then from there, it's up to development and a little bit of luck. Whereas I'd project someone like Gildon has a 2nd pairing ceiling and a 75-80% chance at playing in the NHL, I'd project someone like Wyse will only have a 40-50% chance at that level, and it will depend on his physical play (check) combined with further development of his skating and his skills. Considering how he dropped into UNH's lap late in the process, we're frankly lucky to have him.

On the penalty front, yeah, there have been some questionable decisions, and I'm thinking back to the Bentley game when he buried a Falcon who had just taken liberties with one of his smaller teammates along the boards in the defensive end early in the third period. I think I called it "admirable but dumb", or something like that. On further reflection, it was with a two goal lead against an opponent that had been taking a lot of liberties leading up to that moment, and had shown precious little in the way of sustained attacking pressure. So maybe it was a cynical calculation by Wyse to drill an opponent and send a message, and while they did concede on the resulting PK, it seemed like Bentley toned down their chippiness afterwards, and never really threatened to equalize.

All in all, though, I'm good with the physical play and the messaging that goes along with it. For far too long, UNH teams were too passive on the physical stuff, and we all know the "SMT" label that was attached to many of Coach Umile's teams. I like to see a combative UNH team, and if Wyse is going to be the guy primarily responsible for leading the way there, he has my total and complete backing. BTW I thought the second call against him last night was borderline at best.

I'll also point out that - as alluded to by some of the previous posters - Merrimack is a bad team this season. And bad teams do find a way to lose games. We saw UNH doing a lot of that in the fairly recent past, and we saw Merrimack hand it to UNH in OT last night. UNH "got away" with a substandard performance against a poor team to earn the W last night, and they'll have to play MUCH better to do the same against Yale - regardless of Gildon or the two Yale kids and their respective availabilities.

And finally, kudos to Robinson for last night, when he made several quality/key stops in the 3rd period when the game was in the balance. I'm fairly certain that if the 'Mack goes up by two goals in the 3rd, we're talking about a bad UNH loss to a really bad team, as opposed to enjoying a 4 game winning streak. But if anything else, last night shows us that UNH without Gildon still isn't a playoffs team - much less a national tourney team. And Crookshank looks like a keeper. More of those, please.
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Max's playmaking abilities were definitely missed last night. It did not help things that he was hurt in practice on (if I heard correctly) Thursday giving the group little time to adjust the powerplay in particular where it was glaring that something was missing. Unlike his suspension where they had time to get things together the 2 forwards playing the blue line roles just looked out of sync without Max back there. From last nights press conference they were going to evaluate him today but Souza pretty much has his mind made up that Max will sit again tonight. We are going to need him for the conference schedule a lot more than tonight against Yale.

As far as the goal overturn, from what I saw Murphy's vision of the puck was blocked by Tavernier and Kelleher until he got behind the net where Charlie Kelleher was pointing at it. He acknowedged that he could see it but was waving the play dead at the same time as he was getting to the back of the net. Replay shows the puck clearly in, never pinned down by Vogler, and definitely in before the whistle. I recorded the game from NESN and during the review both Murphy and Shea watched and put on the headphones, asking for it with the sound on. Vogler might have actually gotten the puck under his arm but his defenseman slashed at the puck at the same time it was starting to reappear from his right shoulder. Not sure whether it was moving anyway but that hit didn't help Vogler at all. That was where the overturn decision came from, they have all the pieces they needed to overturn his call (from an obstructed view). The broadcast gives you a much better version of what they were looking for in the review than the highlight clip does.

Edit: Watching it at quarter speed, the slash at the puck by the defenseman did not cause it, from the angle behind the net you can barely see it coming out from his shoulder area by Petti's head before the other Dman takes a whack at it.
                            Last edited by deltabravo62; 01-05-2019, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                              A nice win, the one we needed this weekend in the chase for a playoff spot where we control our own destiny. We ran into a poor team that wanted a win for their coach against his old team. Good timing on Maass' return. Hickey skated 1 or 2 shifts (?). Sato may be the unsung hero of this team. The last two games felt like they should have been larger margins of victory. Kudos to they 'cats for competing hard to secure wins in both. How was the first (non) goal call overturned? As one who would be fine eliminating all video reviews in all sports, I found Borek's post review challenge annoying.
                              Have to agree, video reviews in sports can disappear tomorrow and I won't lose a wink of sleep.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                Have to agree, video reviews in sports can disappear tomorrow and I won't lose a wink of sleep.
                                And you will gain hours of productive time.

Comment

Working...
                                X