X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    Sure, just busy.

Ryan Bencurek, left UNh after a semester. he was a late add to UNH and had nice profile. Just never hit the ice.

The second Q transfer is Dan Travis.

AF transfer was Greg Dumond
    Dan Travis was the guy I was thinking of. I could picture him but couldn’t remember his name. He was a big body, looked like a hockey player but couldn’t skate. Interesting that you mention John Doherty. He’s from Lynnfield and was the same age as the son of a friend of mine. My friend’s son played hockey for Lynnfield HS so I asked him about Doherty. He told me he never played with Doherty growing up except street hockey. At one point I did meet Doherty’s parents and made the connection. They told me that their son did not start skating until he was 13. And there he was, five years later, ready to play D1. Just like Eddie Caron, I never thought the kid was really into being a hockey player based on on ice demeanor.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2018-2019: Souza the Opportunity or Louza the Opportunity

Got to hear Asst. Coach Jeff Giuliano speak last night at our FOH meeting. What a great addition to UNH hockey! Kind of poked fun at the BC connection (esp last night) but said the 'Whitt was always the best place to play on the road. Talked about his resume and how he's bringing all of his experience into recruiting. Very into selling 'the next step' to players. Was mentioned that Stewie was on the road for 5 days; he'll go out next. These guys are serious, dead serious, about moving this program back into prominence. A LOUD 'Whitt last night showed fans are too. Chants of UNH filled the place towards the end, the WHOLE place...too bad the students weren't back for this one. Sure, we know we are just starting this process but it was nice to affirm other pieces of the puzzle hearing him talk about where they are at....Kudos to the players (and the fans) for this win a long time coming....3 points outta BC this season! When did that happen last???

Onto 'Mack and Maine! Is it Friday yet??? Go 'Cats!!!
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

BC always delivers a fun game to watch. Great pace and over before 9:30. Beating the Eagles for the first time in six years was nice, too.

Several goals each way were due to defensive breakdowns. BC is far from what they've been. Clearly they've added a dislodging the net drill for their goalies while the forwards practice batting the puck out of the air. The pass on that goal was sweet too.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
          BC always delivers a fun game to watch. Great pace and over before 9:30. Beating the Eagles for the first time in six years was nice, too.

Several goals each way were due to defensive breakdowns. BC is far from what they've been. Clearly they've added a dislodging the net drill for their goalies while the forwards practice batting the puck out of the air. The pass on that goal was sweet too.
          haha where's the like button? Thought NU's Clay Witt was out there for a second... Agree; always a great game and finally we break through. Def need to work on those defensive breakdowns; has to be the #1 thing on their plate. Allowed 9 goals this weekend, scored 8 (which is a good thing). 'Mack is turning up the heat on goal scoring and it will be the usual challenge to play in their barn but I always enjoy going there as the hockey will be fast paced and lots of pucks on the net...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Got to hear Asst. Coach Jeff Giuliano speak last night at our FOH meeting. What a great addition to UNH hockey! Kind of poked fun at the BC connection (esp last night) but said the 'Whitt was always the best place to play on the road. Talked about his resume and how he's bringing all of his experience into recruiting. Very into selling 'the next step' to players. Was mentioned that Stewie was on the road for 5 days; he'll go out next. These guys are serious, dead serious, about moving this program back into prominence. A LOUD 'Whitt last night showed fans are too. Chants of UNH filled the place towards the end, the WHOLE place...too bad the students weren't back for this one. Sure, we know we are just starting this process but it was nice to affirm other pieces of the puzzle hearing him talk about where they are at....Kudos to the players (and the fans) for this win a long time coming....3 points outta BC this season! When did that happen last???

It was a great crowd once again! Not sure what brought them in on a raw night but great to see. Very few BC fans, they have not traveled well in recent years.
            I feel the need to give a shout out to Chris Miller. As much as i have been a Fregona advocate since his freshman year I have to say that Chris is a great fit with Angus and Liam. With his speed, tenacity and set up skill he compliments that line. Remember his freshmen year and our surprise that this relative unknown was actually a wonderful addition. I think he said "coach says if I work real hard I'll get a shot", and he did. as he slid down the lines his overall effectiveness also fell. Accentuate his skill set and he can bring much higher value.
            Also, can't we all feel the coaching and the positive energy generated throughout the team and building.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
              It was a great crowd once again! Not sure what brought them in on a raw night but great to see. Very few BC fans, they have not traveled well in recent years.
              I feel the need to give a shout out to Chris Miller. As much as i have been a Fregona advocate since his freshman year I have to say that Chris is a great fit with Angus and Liam. With his speed, tenacity and set up skill he compliments that line. Remember his freshmen year and our surprise that this relative unknown was actually a wonderful addition. I think he said "coach says if I work real hard I'll get a shot", and he did. as he slid down the lines his overall effectiveness also fell. Accentuate his skill set and he can bring much higher value.
              Also, can't we all feel the coaching and the positive energy generated throughout the team and building.
              Yes, Chris Miller had a great night...and noticed that he was paired with Crookshank/Blackburn which raises his game for sure. He works very hard out there, has great hustle. NO QUESTION the 'Whitt is a different place this season; the team is 6-3-2 at home which is a far cry from where they've been in the past. See you at 'Mack ATW? Or...Maine?

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Last time UNH took 3 points from BC during a season was 2008/09 when we won two of three during regular season, and then lost two straight to the Eagles in the HEA first round, so no Gahdin. That was also the post-season that BU beat us 2-1 in the second game of east regionals depriving us of a return to the FF (we had upset Nodak 6-5 OT in first game).
                Last edited by Snively65; 01-13-2019, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  Last time UNH took 3 points from BC during a season was 2008/09 when we won two of three during regular season, and then lost two straight to the Eagles in the HEA first round, so no Gahdin. That was also the post-season that BU beat us 2-1 in the second game of east regionals depriving us of a return to the FF (we had upset Nodak 6-5 OT in first game).
                  And BU went on to win the NC!
                  UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    I've always considered that season the end of the so-called "glory years" of the Umile Era.

Let's hope someday we'll look at this season as the one where UNH began to claw its way back up.
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      THAT is an encouraging win - and a nice momentum boost heading into a stretch of eight very winnable games...
                      … including a home & away, weekend after next, against the floundering Luce Canaan All-Stars!!!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                        And BU went on to win the NC!
                        When Dan says hockey is sometimes a 'cruel game' he's not kidding; esp that weekend when UNH won that incredible Regional Semi v NoDak and comes this (too) close to a trip to the FF. Boy, I can barely handle it now. Can only imagine...want to imagine...hope to experience...that cruelty someday of winning a HE title, of winning a Regional, and of course the ultimate the NC (but coming out a winner!)
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-13-2019, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          … including a home & away, weekend after next, against the floundering Luce Canaan All-Stars!!!
                          This will be the year we break the 3 year drought of beating the UConn Huskies!!! I can feel it!!! First a BC win after 6 years...and then these guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            THAT is an encouraging win - and a nice momentum boost heading into a stretch of eight very winnable games...
                            Hey, with 7 W's, the Cats are half way to winning me another beer at Libby's in the over/under W's contest. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              This will be the year we break the 3 year drought of beating the UConn Huskies!!! I can feel it!!! First a BC win after 6 years...and then these guys.
                              It wasn't all that long ago, UNH still held the overall series lead against BC. Well into this century even.

Over/under on Luce making reference to Souza as part of his "coaching tree" (shrub?) is next Friday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                It wasn't all that long ago, UNH still held the overall series lead against BC. Well into this century even.

Over/under on Luce making reference to Souza as part of his "coaching tree" (shrub?) is next Friday.
                                What time on Friday?

Comment

Working...
                                X