5. Kali Flanagan (Boston), defender, Boston College

6. Kendall Cornine (Riveters), forward, RIT
    7. Makenna Newkirk (Connecticut), forward, Boston College
    8. Loren Gabel (Buffalo), forward, Clarkson
    9. Sophia Shaver (Minnesota) forward, Wisconsin
    10. Bailey Larson (Boston), forward, Colgate

Powers &8^]

Re: NWHL Draft

Does that mean that all other Seniors not drafted in the 5 rounds are “free agents”? Not that any of them can make a mint by shopping themselves around but playing where you might be offered employment makes it easier if you are not tied to a team. Maybe I am missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
      Does that mean that all other Seniors not drafted in the 5 rounds are “free agents”? Not that any of them can make a mint by shopping themselves around but playing where you might be offered employment makes it easier if you are not tied to a team. Maybe I am missing something.
      There is the CWHL. I'm guessing Gabel will be headed there, even though she is an NWHL draftee. Depends, I guess, how close she is to home and place of employment.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        There is the CWHL. I'm guessing Gabel will be headed there, even though she is an NWHL draftee. Depends, I guess, how close she is to home and place of employment.

rounds 3-5

https://www.nwhl.zone/news_article/show/979095

from what i have seen..the draft does not mean much except for some publicity. 2 players playing on the Pride were drafted for all teams (Miano and Brand). The players still have to sign with a team and that seems to depend where they get a job.

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
          rounds 3-5

https://www.nwhl.zone/news_article/show/979095

from what i have seen..the draft does not mean much except for some publicity. 2 players playing on the Pride were drafted for all teams (Miano and Brand). The players still have to sign with a team and that seems to depend where they get a job.
          Both the CWHL and NWHL only sign players within a certain radius because they can't afford to sign players full time.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
            Both the CWHL and NWHL only sign players within a certain radius because they can't afford to sign players full time.
            The top priority for these two leagues needs to be a merger ASAP. I'd really like to see this issue be resolved well before next hockey season. It shouldn't even be called an issue. I'll be very disappointed with the heads of both leagues if they don't merge by next season. The betterment of our sport must be made more important than any individual agendas on either side. This is a no-brainer to most of us. If they fail to merge it will show they really have no brains.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
              The top priority for these two leagues needs to be a merger ASAP. I'd really like to see this issue be resolved well before next hockey season. It shouldn't even be called an issue. I'll be very disappointed with the heads of both leagues if they don't merge by next season. The betterment of our sport must be made more important than any individual agendas on either side. This is a no-brainer to most of us. If they fail to merge it will show they really have no brains.
              Couldn’t agree more. It makes complete sense so it probably will not happen.

Comment

Can we be sure that a merger now is the best course? IMO, the two key considerations for each league are financial viability and interest, both from fans and players.

It is impossible to gauge the first without knowing what the books of each league show. The two leagues could decide to investigate a merger behind the scenes, and then while doing due diligence, one could discover that the other is in far worse financial shape. At that point, the unstable league could drag the healthier one down with it.

Given that franchises compete for players on a regional basis and they aren't battling for the same fans, the existence of one league isn't threatening the other. I don't know that either players or fans in the US are more likely to embrace the sport if it was one merged league versus two. At a certain point, sure, it would be nice to see the Calgary Inferno come to town if Rebecca Johnston is my all-time favorite player, but how many fans are currently thinking that way? The typical potential fan likely has little knowledge of rosters beyond the home team, if that.

Long term, I agree -- a merger should make sense. In the short term, league insiders have a better knowledge of potential pros and cons of merging than I do.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  Can we be sure that a merger now is the best course? IMO, the two key considerations for each league are financial viability and interest, both from fans and players.

It is impossible to gauge the first without knowing what the books of each league show. The two leagues could decide to investigate a merger behind the scenes, and then while doing due diligence, one could discover that the other is in far worse financial shape. At that point, the unstable league could drag the healthier one down with it.

Given that franchises compete for players on a regional basis and they aren't battling for the same fans, the existence of one league isn't threatening the other. I don't know that either players or fans in the US are more likely to embrace the sport if it was one merged league versus two. At a certain point, sure, it would be nice to see the Calgary Inferno come to town if Rebecca Johnston is my all-time favorite player, but how many fans are currently thinking that way? The typical potential fan likely has little knowledge of rosters beyond the home team, if that.

Long term, I agree -- a merger should make sense. In the short term, league insiders have a better knowledge of potential pros and cons of merging than I do.
                  You are WAY overthinking this and in a very weird manner! Keep it simple stupid. If they want any chance for support from the NHL they need to merge ASAP. The financial advantages and stability from NHL support FAR outweigh your trifling little monetary scenario. Again, for most of us THIS IS A NO-BRAINER!!! The WNBA would never have survived without the relationship it has with the NBA. The new hockey league with a supportive relationship with the NHL should be named the WNHL. Simple! Get it done!

Comment

Brainstorm! Each NHL team puts together a women's team. The women's team of each NHL team follows the same schedule as the men's team, travels with them, uses their training facilities, etc. They play the games either sometime before or after the men's game at the same arena as the men's or maybe they play at a smaller arena in the same town at the same time. Pay them a reasonable wage so this can be their career. Are there enough players to fill out full teams? Maybe, they may attract lots of players from Europe. Maybe there won't be enough players. Then play full strength 4 on 4, maybe play shorter periods. I have to believe each NHL team can afford to do this, some of the men's salaries are just nuts.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      Brainstorm! Each NHL team puts together a women's team. The women's team of each NHL team follows the same schedule as the men's team, travels with them, uses their training facilities, etc. They play the games either sometime before or after the men's game at the same arena as the men's or maybe they play at a smaller arena in the same town at the same time. Pay them a reasonable wage so this can be their career. Are there enough players to fill out full teams? Maybe, they may attract lots of players from Europe. Maybe there won't be enough players. Then play full strength 4 on 4, maybe play shorter periods. I have to believe each NHL team can afford to do this, some of the men's salaries are just nuts.
                      Nice idea but even here in hockey heaven the team struggles to fill a 1200 seat arena. It would be a mausoleum in an 18,000 seat one. The NHL owners are historically ultra conservative in their approach. Those ads you see for squeekball that tout one star against another instead of the teams? The NHL flatly rejected that because they didn't want superstars that could demand big money. The NBA did & reached new heights of popularity (not solely on that but it was part of the deal). Without a major TV contract the NHL does not have the money of other leagues even if they were willing to pay girls to play.
                      Ideally the NHL would handle it like the NBA does. NWHL teams would be affliated with NHL teams and cross promote. WNHL would play in the summer so they would not be competing for coverage.

But none of that is going to happen because the NHL does not care about hockey, they only care about themselves. The women's league is going to have to grow on its own I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        So "gimmick hockey" is your solution. Full strength 4 on 4 with shorter periods isn't our game and I don't really believe we want to compromise our game.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                          Not that it is in anyway comparable, but it did take the most recent version of the AFL 10 years before it merged with the NFL. I mentioned the idea of a possible merger to my wife and her response was that it would make no sense for the leagues to merge until the teams can pay their players a decent salary.
                          Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 12-22-2018, 11:58 AM. Reason: It's too bad the Bills' Jack Kemp never became POTUS.
                          "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                            Not that it is in anyway comparable, but it did take the most recent version of the AFL 10 years before it merged with the NFL. I mentioned the idea of a possible merger to my wife and her response was that it would make no sense for the leagues to merge until the teams can pay their players a decent salary.
                            I'm not sure that type of thinking makes any sense at all. Stay apart struggling separately versus merge and pool your resources, marketing strategies, working together toward a common goal instead of at cross purposes working against each other, etc, not to mention the biggest thing; a joint proposal to the NHL for support?! Now that's what makes no sense! The whole idea is to merge and approach the NHL on a united front so they can achieve the goal of making a proper wage and finally make their living as full-time professional hockey players instead of part-time minor leaguers. Did your wife actually play hockey in college or anywhere else?
                            Last edited by shelfit; 12-22-2018, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                              Couldn’t agree more. It makes complete sense so it probably will not happen.
                              Based on how poorly things are going these days....it will either happen soon, or both leagues will fold. And based on the attendance #'s I don't think anyone will be shedding any tears if that happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X